C Jack McBain - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 63rd, MIN; traded to ARI)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Very surprised that a potential top prospect like McBain doesn't have a thread yet, he could end up being a very high pick in the 2018 draft.

Barrie drafted him in the 1st round but he decided to play this season in the OJHL. He just recently committed to BC (Boston College), happened a few days ago.

1297837281509_ORIGINAL.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=363685

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Did he stay in Jr. A to specifically to keep the college route open? Or does he not want to play for Barrie? Just curious because he looks physically more than capable of holding his own in the OHL and wondered how he compares long-term to guys in his OHL draft class who have already made an impact in that league like McShane, Thomas, Dellandrea, etc.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I believe McBain stayed in the OJHL to not lose his NCAA eligibility. Barrie would loved to have had him although I am sure they are happy finishing last and picking first. I mentioned on another thread that I have seen him play a number of games and he is in my opinion the #1 forward in Ontario. I have seen Thomas, McShane but not Delandrea and when I project him out I see him The top pro prospect. Possibly the most potential of all 2000's in Ontario. The question is, will McBain remain in the OJHL, go to BC or the USHL. Will be interesting to see.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Is he related to Jamie?

Jamie's from Minnesota and Jack's from Toronto so probably not.

Son of Andrew McBain, former NHLer

Outstanding competitiveness in Jack's game. Plays a smart possession game. Can flat out dominate in the offensive zone and plays all-out every shift. He's a hard player not to like. Yes, he's in the OJHL to keep his eligibility open.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Probably. It won't hurt his draft stock, same as Jost, Fabbro and Makar this year.

OJHL isn't as good as the BCHL I'm not sure about the AJHL though it is probably pretty close to that. It would be best for him to go USHL if he wants to play college with that said though OJHL is not a bad league and I really do believe he can develop there.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Interesting question about development. I watched McBain play in the OJHL, granted the league is a step below OHL, but he never left the ice. Was on for all PK, PP big draws, etc. As a 16 year old against many 20 year olds. I watched many OHL games where first rounders get minimal ice time, and hardly ever in important situations. The best teams in the NHL want their prospects to play, so they have them mature in the AHL by playing. How is this any different? I guess the only issue is that for scouts it's more difficult to assess the ranking when not pitted against the best. But if you're not playing much in the CHL it's just as difficult. It's a tough one, and I am not sure what answer is the correct one.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
So a few people on here have said that McBain is a likely first round pick and could be a top ten pick, yet I haven't seen any sources indicating he's considered a top prospect. Elite prospects doesn't have him listed as "top prospect." I haven't seen him in the first round in any 2018 mock drafts. Regardless, I really hope he comes to BC in 2018.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So a few people on here have said that McBain is a likely first round pick and could be a top ten pick, yet I haven't seen any sources indicating he's considered a top prospect. Elite prospects doesn't have him listed as "top prospect." I haven't seen him in the first round in any 2018 mock drafts. Regardless, I really hope he comes to BC in 2018.

Dunno personally i saw him play at the U19's (at such a young age) and he looked very impressive (tool-wise), he's a big center with a lot of talent.

That being said you're right about no one mentioning he's going to be a top pick, that's just a personal opinion of mine. He really hasn't played against top end talent yet, so it's hard to project where he'll end up.

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
The eliteprospects list was compiled prior to the season and has players like Dennis Busby listed as a top prospect. With all due respect that list needs to be updated. Anyway lots of talent at this age group. Mock drafts are what they are. Spend time talking with scouts and people in the know. They can shed light on which kids are actually projected to be first round picks .

nobiggie

Mar 11, 2017
The eliteprospects list was compiled prior to the season and has players like Dennis Busby listed as a top prospect. With all due respect that list needs to be updated. Anyway lots of talent at this age group. Mock drafts are what they are. Spend time talking with scouts and people in the know. They can shed light on which kids are actually projected to be first round picks .

They've updated it somewhat recently when they added guys like Farabee and Hughes to the top prospects section as opposed to just prospects.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I see McBain is ranked 15th in the Future Considerations 2018 Draft Guide.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Since when is NCAA that odd? Plenty of first round talents go that route.

It's because he's playing in the OJHL in his draft year. It's already hard to judge guys playing in the BCHL now we have to attempt to judge a guy based in the OJHL. It's nit gonna be easy. Unless he absolutely destroys the league at which point we know he is likely at the very least a first rounder.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
It's because he's playing in the OJHL in his draft year. It's already hard to judge guys playing in the BCHL now we have to attempt to judge a guy based in the OJHL. It's nit gonna be easy. Unless he absolutely destroys the league at which point we know he is likely at the very least a first rounder.

not sure much difference with the OHL/CHL and OJHL/BCHL these days
chl wants you to believe it has a definite upper hand on "level" . not true anymore.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
In my opinion, McBain is a bonafide top 10 prospect and has potential to be a top 5 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->