C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This is Hughes d-1. Your draft year ends with you getting drafted. So for example, Lafreniere is in his D-2, Hughes is in his D-1, Dahlin is in their Draft year, Hischier is in his D+1 and Matthews is in his D+2. The start of NHL free agency tends to mark the beginning of a new Hockey year.

Now, if you want to go by birth year over draft year, there is merit to both. But then just label stuff as 16 year old year, 17 year old year, 18 year old year, etc.

In the case of this Hughes vs. Matthews age discussion, I think the experience in the NTDP program is much more significant than when during the year each was born. Most players struggle in their first year in the NTDP (especially early in the season), as they are playing against opponents 3-4 years older for the first time in their lives. That takes some time to adjust, and the team as a whole usually loses most of its USHL games. In their 2nd year in the program is when most players really blossom.

That is what has been so unusual about Hughes, and the U17 team as a whole, this season. Hughes shattered the program scoring record for a first year player, and "Team USA" not only qualified for the USHL playoffs (which is rare), but finished first in its conference and won a playoff series for the first time in program history. The U17 team plays more USHL games than the U18 squad, so the difference this season is that these first year players did well immediately.

Last edited:

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Weird, all this misleading draft age discussion. Matthews was u17 in 13-14, just like Hughes is now. Next season, Hughes will be u18, like Matthews in 14-15. People seriously need to stop treating the draft year as any sort of an indicator - the only thing that matters, especially for things like the u18 development program or the national teams, is birth year. Case in point, Matthews wasn't even eligible for it anymore in his draft year, Hughes will be.

Hence, their comparable stats are:
u17s:
Matthews - 12+21=33 in 24
Hughes - 13+35=48 in 24

u18s:
Matthews - 12+5=17 in 20
Hughes - 27+41=68 in 36

They really aren't even close.
Thanks for this ! I thought I was right !

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Opportunity for Jack to up his value playing against great competition at the World Championship. I see he has 2 points. Other than that how's he looked/performed?

I'm a Sabres fan so I know who we're taking, no fun for the next couple months. When we drafted Eichel I had a soft spot for Marner and this draft I have them for Hughes and Tkachuk.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Opportunity for Jack to up his value playing against great competition at the World Championship. I see he has 2 points. Other than that how's he looked/performed?

I'm a Sabres fan so I know who we're taking, no fun for the next couple months. When we drafted Eichel I had a soft spot for Marner and this draft I have them for Hughes and Tkachuk.
Are you confusing Jack with Quinn Hughes - maybe?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
With brother Quinn looking good at the World Championships with the NHLers, he may be moving up in the draft and there's a chance he could leave Michigan for the NHL next season. I wonder if that will affect Jack's decision as to whether he stays with the NTDP for his second season or plays at Michigan?

BTW, it was too bad that Jack Hughes didn't get to play in any of the USHL playoff games, but I understand the coach's decision. Hughes and the other U17 promotions had their post season at the U18 WC, so I can understand letting all the remaining U17 players have their own post season, too.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McDavid's slightly better offensively than Kane, and is a much better all-around player, but I don't think grouping them in terms of electrifying play is that far off. I think Hughes will probably be closer to Kane than McDavid, but he should have a good chance to be one of the most electrifying players in the NHL.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
McDavid's slightly better offensively than Kane, and is a much better all-around player, but I don't think grouping them in terms of electrifying play is that far off. I think Hughes will probably be closer to Kane than McDavid, but he should have a good chance to be one of the most electrifying players in the NHL.

Can't let that pass. McDavid is not slightly better than Kane offensively. It's not even as close as you think.

Reactions: Get North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad