C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
So points don't matter now huh. What did Samuelsson do that would have him as the top defender. Defend? He was plus 2 and York was plus 6. So what did he do that was so impressive? Coming from the same guy who had Hughes over Turcotte I wouldn't expect a good explanation.:laugh:

Turcotte over Hughes*

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So points don't matter now huh. What did Samuelsson do that would have him as the top defender. Defend? He was plus 2 and York was plus 6. So what did he do that was so impressive? Coming from the same guy who had Hughes over Turcotte I wouldn't expect a good explanation.:laugh:

If you don't think Samuelsson did his job as a defenseman significantly better than York, I don't know what to tell you. Take a look at the GWG for example. York was at fault. Samuelsson was on the ice for like two GA the whole tournament as the #1D for the team going against every team's top line. He wasn't at fault for a goal the whole tournament.

York was a good contributor to the team, but there's a reason when Appert named the three best players from the team for the tournament, he named Samuelsson. Most people who think hockeys not a video game could explain how big of a role Samuelsson plays.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
If you don't think Samuelsson did his job as a defenseman significantly better than York, I don't know what to tell you. Take a look at the GWG for example. York was at fault. Samuelsson was on the ice for like two GA the whole tournament as the #1D for the team going against every team's top line. He wasn't at fault for a goal the whole tournament.

York was a good contributor to the team, but there's a reason when Appert named the three best players from the team for the tournament, he named Samuelsson. Most people who think hockeys not a video game could explain how big of a role Samuelsson plays.

I see where you're coming from, but offensively how did he contribute? Sure, he was a monster defensively, but I just don't see how this makes him the better defenseman. Especially in this day and age where the ideal defender is offensive minded.

York had that one bad play but other than that he was solid the entire tournament. Clearly the better player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see where you're coming from, but offensively how did he contribute? Sure, he was a monster defensively, but I just don't see how this makes him the better defenseman. Especially in this day and age where the ideal defender is offensive minded.

York had that one bad play but other than that he was solid the entire tournament. Clearly the better player.

This team nor this tournament had Dahlin, Werenski, Hanifin, etc. There was no complete two way 2 that can give you .5PPG+ and also play shutdown D. The closest player to that at this tournament was Boqvist, but he's not really a shutdown D, more of a decent defender who plays more of an offensive type of game.

Samuelsson put up the best defensive performance of any player in this tournament. York performed well offensively, and not that bad defensively, but he wasn't a constant big presence in every game. A player like Boqvist who had just as many points in fewer games was better offensively than York on a per game basis. Given that no defenseman was that great at this tournament offensively and there also weren't any great two way performances, I'll take the best defensive display at this tournament for best defenseman because I think Samuelsson was a lot better defensively than anyone else at this tournament.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
They rostered York and Hughes for the playoffs so they will probably play at some point. They are only allowed to roster 25 players though so they only had two open spots.
Thats very exciting to hear after a dissapointing end to the U18s. Obviously if they only have 2 spots, those are the two no brainer additions, but getting Turcotte, and Caufield in as well would have been a perfect scenario.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
This team nor this tournament had Dahlin, Werenski, Hanifin, etc. There was no complete two way 2 that can give you .5PPG+ and also play shutdown D. The closest player to that at this tournament was Boqvist, but he's not really a shutdown D, more of a decent defender who plays more of an offensive type of game.

Samuelsson put up the best defensive performance of any player in this tournament. York performed well offensively, and not that bad defensively, but he wasn't a constant big presence in every game. A player like Boqvist who had just as many points in fewer games was better offensively than York on a per game basis. Given that no defenseman was that great at this tournament offensively and there also weren't any great two way performances, I'll take the best defensive display at this tournament for best defenseman because I think Samuelsson was a lot better defensively than anyone else at this tournament.
Did you consider Toni Utunen in your statement about the best defensive performance? +12 should account for something and he played extremely well. He is probably not well known in the USA, but he contributed big time to the gold medal. The same could be said about Mikko Kokkonen, +7. Without nationality bias I would argue they were better than Samuelson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did you consider Toni Utunen in your statement about the best defensive performance? +12 should account for something and he played extremely well. He is probably not well known in the USA, but he contributed big time to the gold medal. The same could be said about Mikko Kokkonen, +7. Without nationality bias I would argue they were better than Samuelson.

I only watched one Finland game. I'm sure they were good. I am using no nationality bias. I thought he was the best defenseman at the tournament. I didn't claim to watch every game played by every team.

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Still crazy that he did that a year before his draft year. Not sure if I'm expecting him to blow it out of the water, but I'm expecting him to beat it next year for sure.
Amazing ! Second best USNTDP season of all time ! As a 16 year old !? I’m sure he’ll take it ! Also he broke Keller’s single season assists record with 76 . If he goes back to the USNTDP next year he most likely shatters his own total from this year & becomes the all-time USNTDP point scorer off all-time , though I’d rather see him play at Michigan or for the Steelheads in the OHL

Reactions: Apotheosis

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
418971DC-F639-4348-AB64-D448E801643D.png
Well to be fair so did Matthews.
Matthews didn’t put up 117 in his first year with the program like Jack might want to check your facts

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was under the impression he was doing it a year prior and Matthews wasn't. Then I should have realized Matthews played his draft year in the Swiss league.
But Matthews did it in his second NTDP season, while Hughes is doing it in his first season. Matthews was a late birthday (barely), and he was only a few months younger than what Hughes is during their respective time in the program. So Matthews was older when he set the record, with another year of experience in the program.

And Hughes may still break the record yet this season, if he gets to play in some of the USHL playoff games. The next series starts tonight here in Plymouth.

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
But Matthews did it in his second NTDP season, while Hughes is doing it in his first season. Matthews was a late birthday (barely), and he was only a few months younger than what Hughes is during their respective time in the program. So Matthews was older when he set the record, with another year of experience in the program.

And Hughes may still break the record yet this season, if he gets to play in some of the USHL playoff games. The next series starts tonight here in Plymouth.
That’s what I thought !!!!! I hope he breaks it with the boys in the USHL playoffs !

Reactions: Frannel

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think what they were trying to say is that both Matthews and Hughes put up these numbers in their D-2 year. Although Auston was 7 months older than Jack.
This is Hughes d-1. Your draft year ends with you getting drafted. So for example, Lafreniere is in his D-2, Hughes is in his D-1, Dahlin is in their Draft year, Hischier is in his D+1 and Matthews is in his D+2. The start of NHL free agency tends to mark the beginning of a new Hockey year.

Now, if you want to go by birth year over draft year, there is merit to both. But then just label stuff as 16 year old year, 17 year old year, 18 year old year, etc.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Weird, all this misleading draft age discussion. Matthews was u17 in 13-14, just like Hughes is now. Next season, Hughes will be u18, like Matthews in 14-15. People seriously need to stop treating the draft year as any sort of an indicator - the only thing that matters, especially for things like the u18 development program or the national teams, is birth year. Case in point, Matthews wasn't even eligible for it anymore in his draft year, Hughes will be.

Hence, their comparable stats are:
u17s:
Matthews - 12+21=33 in 24
Hughes - 13+35=48 in 24

u18s:
Matthews - 12+5=17 in 20
Hughes - 27+41=68 in 36

They really aren't even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events