C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The question is whether Bertuzzi is also American? Has he played at any US selects tourney? Is his mother American?

Bertuzzi wasn't at the USAH Select 15s last summer. You must be a US citizen to participate, but his absence doesn't necessarily guarantee a lack of citizenship. For example, Hughes wasn't there either.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Didn't he apply for exceptional player status last year?

Sounds odd as hell if he's not heading to the OHL after all.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Do people think he will still be a high pick in the OHL draft?

I would think London would take him if he slid all the way to their pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do people think he will still be a high pick in the OHL draft?

I would think London would take him if he slid all the way to their pick.
Who knows, London might, but they also passed on Bode Wilde last year with the same opportunity. Also, more teams are willing to gamble on these kids now. Sarnia took Weiss in the 1st last year and Saginaw took Wilde in the 2nd. Highest USNTDP kid the Knights took was Gruden in the 5th.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
He did, I recently watched an interview with him saying it could have been a blessing in disguise getting rejected.

Regardless he gets to choose his own path, he owes the OHL nothing.

If that path is lying and trying to bluff his way into getting picked by and playing for London...

Regardless he gets to choose his own path, he owes the OHL nothing.

...then perhaps he doesn't, but the OHL owes it to the fans to prevent this sort of thing. If he's serious about his decision he should be deemed ineligible for the draft and should not be able to play for anyone without first getting drafted.

It isn't like Hughes has told OHL teams not to draft him because he isn't interested. There's something fishy about all of this.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure the science on this is actually typically from the mother's genes. If a mother and father are roughly the same height, you can assume the kid is going to be bigger than the father. If the father is significantly taller than the mother the son's height usually ends up around the father's height. Definitely not exact but statistically it leans this way.

I think the point though is that with his father and brother both being around 5'10, it's hard to operate under the assumption that Jack will grow much more. He has some really elite talent but the height is a potential concern for him long-term. Like people have said he's no McDavid but he's certainly one of if not the top prospect in his age group right now.

Well that's just not true at all, height is polygenic and not determined by one single parent's genes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If that path is lying and trying to bluff his way into getting picked by and playing for London...

...then perhaps he doesn't, but the OHL owes it to the fans to prevent this sort of thing. If he's serious about his decision he should be deemed ineligible for the draft and should not be able to play for anyone without first getting drafted.

It isn't like Hughes has told OHL teams not to draft him because he isn't interested. There's something fishy about all of this.
The kid should be able to have some say in his development. Let's not pretend all situations in the OHL are equal and offer equal developmental options. London and Windsor are pretty clearly a tier above before you even get into the money rumors. These teams aren't giving you life changing money, even if rumored amounts are true. If you are in the CHL, most likely you are playing to try to get an NHL contract, and if that is best served by playing for a major program with better facilities and set up, like the Knights, then I'm all in favor of kids forcing their way there similar to Domi and Marner.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
The kid should be able to have some say in his development. Let's not pretend all situations in the OHL are equal and offer equal developmental options. London and Windsor are pretty clearly a tier above before you even get into the money rumors. These teams aren't giving you life changing money, even if rumored amounts are true. If you are in the CHL, most likely you are playing to try to get an NHL contract, and if that is best served by playing for a major program with better facilities and set up, like the Knights, then I'm all in favor of kids forcing their way there similar to Domi and Marner.

Ya, that's great. And if all the players do that....there won't be an OHL. How about letting the league have a level playing field?

You're a Leaf fan...what if Mathews and Marner both said they were going to the K, so the Leafs don't draft them. Then the Hawks pick them with their 1st and 2nd and they sign..., You in favor of that? Didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad