C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Sean Day doesn't suck. When was the last time you watched him play? He'll probably make the USA WJC team in December.

I know I'm asking for a headache when trying to get any sort of unbiased discussion about a Ranger prospect from you, but what exactly has Day done to improve? His offense is still mediocre, his conditioning is... Meh. And he still looks totally clueless far too often. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was some random teenager who was asked to try a sport because of his exceptional physical gifts without ever having grown up playing.

Day has always been an intriguing prospect. Not too often you get a guy at his size who can skate like he does. I had hoped he would be a Hedman or at least a Bouwmeester, but unfortunately he still absolutely sucks.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Had the pleasure of watching him the past few seasons and yes, he's been in Canada since a young age and developed here. We will see where he decides to play his international hockey. He has both options and should consider them both.

No he's not at Connor McDavid's level. However, his skating isn't too far off of McDavid's at the same age. With that said, he's an outstanding player and is definitely better than Marner was at the minor midget level. He's obviously young still and (like Marner) his development will depend largely on his next few seasons.

He played his best hockey of the year this past week at the OHL Cup. He elevated his play 10 fold from what he showed throughout the season.

His case for the OHL Draft and NTDP is very intriguing. Too many rumours to even track.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Had the pleasure of watching him the past few seasons and yes, he's been in Canada since a young age and developed here. We will see where he decides to play his international hockey. He has both options and should consider them both.

Mom, Dad and the 3 boys are all U.S citizens. None are dual. Jack can only play for USA.

It's far from a lock that Jack is in the OHL next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know I'm asking for a headache when trying to get any sort of unbiased discussion about a Ranger prospect from you, but what exactly has Day done to improve? His offense is still mediocre, his conditioning is... Meh. And he still looks totally clueless far too often. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was some random teenager who was asked to try a sport because of his exceptional physical gifts without ever having grown up playing.

Day has always been an intriguing prospect. Not too often you get a guy at his size who can skate like he does. I had hoped he would be a Hedman or at least a Bouwmeester, but unfortunately he still absolutely sucks.

I'm plenty unbiased. Call it as I see it. To claim Day sucks has to be a joke. You either have not watched him play much recently or for some reason you are struggling to recognize his good play. When has the last time you watched him play?

I know its cool to say Day sucks as once you are painted into a corner, people want to bury you, but if you are actually going to be fair to the kid, he's made strides defensively, and is putting up more offense. In fact, reports were that he did so towards the end of last year. Almost every assessment from others that I've read backs up what I've watched. His eventual NHL ceiling is up for question, but whats not up for debate is whether he sucks. Thats just not the case.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Duel citizen, his dad was director of player development for the Leafs from 2009 to 2015. Unclear what path he will choose but his brother went the USNDP route and currently plays for Michigan.

No **** eh? I liked Jim. Seemed like a good guy.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'm plenty unbiased. Call it as I see it. To claim Day sucks has to be a joke. You either have not watched him play much recently or for some reason you are struggling to recognize his good play. When has the last time you watched him play?

I know its cool to say Day sucks as once you are painted into a corner, people want to bury you, but if you are actually going to be fair to the kid, he's made strides defensively, and is putting up more offense. In fact, reports were that he did so towards the end of last year. Almost every assessment from others that I've read backs up what I've watched. His eventual NHL ceiling is up for question, but whats not up for debate is whether he sucks. Thats just not the case.

This thread has nothing to do with Day; it would please me if you would resist from relating any and everything back to the Rangers

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This thread has nothing to do with Day; it would please me if you would resist from relating any and everything back to the Rangers

Someone made an incorrect claim, so I felt the need to correct them. You were not mentioned. If my correction was so off-topic, why did you take the thread further off-topic?

L13

Oct 1, 2015

The post you latched onto mentioned Day's failure to make the Canadian NT in passing, which is indisputable. No idea why you're so mad about that. Day was not good enough to make the team.

No idea where you get "Day has made strides defensively" from, by the way. His defensive play remains much as it ever was this season. In any case, the strongest indicator of NHL potential for junior defencemen is offensive production and his is nothing special. But that's not really relevant here.

I get that this is a Hughes thread, but while "Day sucks" is a rude way of putting it, the claim he's not good enough to be one of Canada's top junior-aged defencemen is correct.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The post you latched onto mentioned Day's failure to make the Canadian NT in passing, which is indisputable. No idea why you're so mad about that. Day was not good enough to make the team.

No idea where you get "Day has made strides defensively" from, by the way. His defensive play remains much as it ever was this season. In any case, the strongest indicator of NHL potential for junior defencemen is offensive production and his is nothing special. But that's not really relevant here.

I get that this is a Hughes thread, but while "Day sucks" is a rude way of putting it, the claim he's not good enough to be one of Canada's top junior-aged defencemen is correct.

I got it from what I've watched and what I read of others who watch him. People who claim he sucks are making a crazy claim. Anyone who's watched the guy play this year should notice clear improvements in defensive positioning and decision making with the puck. Thats not to say he's going to be the player people originally thought he would or that he's great in those areas, but he has a number of tools, including maybe the best size and skating combo in the CHL. He's had a very good season and nearly all reviews are positive. I understand though that many people have painted him into this corner, and unless he really proves them wrong, they won't admit that maybe their initial predictions could've been wrong. He's upped his stock this season, how can people even dispute that and say he sucks?

I never disputed that he changed due to what happened when he was playing for Team Canada. He's improved though, and has a good chance to make the USA team next year, a team that beat Canada last year to win the title. He might have even been able to make the Canadian team next year had he stuck with Canada.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
I hate that logic.

Doug Hamilton 6'1"
Freddie Hamilton 6'1"
Dougie Hamilton 6'6"

Tom Zajac 5'10"
Travis Zajac 6'2"
Darcy Zajac 6'0"
Kelly Zajac 5'10"
Nolan Zajac 5'10"

I'm like 4 inches taller than all my male relatives. It's a misguided assumption.

I'm pretty sure the science on this is actually typically from the mother's genes. If a mother and father are roughly the same height, you can assume the kid is going to be bigger than the father. If the father is significantly taller than the mother the son's height usually ends up around the father's height. Definitely not exact but statistically it leans this way.

I think the point though is that with his father and brother both being around 5'10, it's hard to operate under the assumption that Jack will grow much more. He has some really elite talent but the height is a potential concern for him long-term. Like people have said he's no McDavid but he's certainly one of if not the top prospect in his age group right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mom, Dad and the 3 boys are all U.S citizens. None are dual. Jack can only play for USA.

It's far from a lock that Jack is in the OHL next year.
Thanks for clarifying. This makes it likely there is some pressure to get on the USNTDP so he can have an easier path to international events.

I hope he chooses what is the best developmental path for him, but selfishly, I hope that path is in the OHL so I can watch more of him.

On a slightly related note, I found it interesting Tag Bertuzzi wasn't on the USNTDP tryout list. Maybe a sign he is OHL bound.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Thanks for clarifying. This makes it likely there is some pressure to get on the USNTDP so he can have an easier path to international events.

I hope he chooses what is the best developmental path for him, but selfishly, I hope that path is in the OHL so I can watch more of him.

On a slightly related note, I found it interesting Tag Bertuzzi wasn't on the USNTDP tryout list. Maybe a sign he is OHL bound.

I mocked Bertuzzi to Sudbury in a tweet earlier today.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
EP is just as likely to be wrong as it is right.

He's invited to the NTDP tryout and some genius probably thought that means he's joining the team next year.

The thing about this is that NTDP doesn't invite players they don't think will play for them. This year was a tough year to get an invite and the fact that he is going means something. Not saying he's a for sure lock, but it looks like a 60/40 at this point. Obviously Hughes is a top prospect for the birth year but there were other duals (Tag Bertuzzi) who did not receive an invite.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

Is Bertuzzi a dual? I know he was born in Vancouver.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015

Sounds like he is doing well at selection camp but this is very little information and id like a little more buts its sparce. Hopefully someone like Mark Edwards could provide more information.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All those guys you are giving are big centres and not comparable. Hughes is really small, I'd be surprised if he was any taller than 5'9". That's going to hurt his NHL effectiveness despite his skill.

He could easily grow 2-4 more inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->