C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A number of IIHF sanctioned events? The only IIHF sanctioned event the USNDP takes part of is the U18 WC.

u-18 and WJC, that is multiple events. WJC not a guarantee but has a much better shot with the USNDP to represent as an underage than anywhere else.

he also can be called up to play in the u-18 if he is good enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Almost all of his statistics have him playing in Ontario that I can find at least.
He moved to Toronto when his dad got employed by the Leafs. His entire family is American from what I can gather, although his Dad is listed as a duel.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Almost all of his statistics have him playing in Ontario that I can find at least.

Sean Day strictly played in Michigan of the USA all his hockey career, but wanted to play for Canada (which is why he was gained exceptional status). However, since he sucks he couldn't make the Canadian team and tried out for USA where he was also cut from.

The Hughes brothers see themselves more American than Canadian and sometimes it sucks (Daniel Sprong with Netherlands) so I do feel for the Canadian fans here. But it's not like Canada will suffer though.

He moved to Toronto when his dad got employed by the Leafs. His entire family is American from what I can gather, although his Dad is listed as a duel.
Yeah both brothers were born in Orlando, Florida, but I thought it was a Jakob Chychrun situation where he was born in Boca Raton, Florida, but his family was purely Canadian.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Is he really McDavid good ?

The fact that he was denied exceptional player status last year should be enough for us to say no at this point. Sounds like a top-tier talent though, pretty funny how the article calls him "the next McDavid or Marner", really covering their bases there I guess since there is certainly a large gap between those two guys.

I find that the top guys in Ontario have been getting those comparisons a lot in recent years, Ho-Sang was considered as "as good or better than Hall and Stamkos" by the media, and just last year Merkeley was being hailed as "the most skilled player in the GTHL over the past 10 years after McDavid" . Both those guys are probably going to be great players, but the comparisons are lofty for a 15 year old.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is he really McDavid good ?
No, not even close. McDavid was the most talented kid to play Toronto area youth hockey since Lindros. I don't think Hughes is even held in the same regard as Stamkos and Tavares, who were viewed as the best since Lindros when they were in the OHL draft, but weren't viewed as generational (they were good but viewed as a level below Sid, who was the benchmark).

He's good and may be the most talented kid to come from the GTHL since McDavid at the time of their OHL draft (Marner at that age makes Hughes look like a giant). Granted, the pipeline of elite kids coming out of the GTHL or GTA area (teams like Markham, YSE, etc who are based in the GTA but don't play in the GTHL) in recent years. The bigger names since McDavid (always played a year up) is Dylan Strome, Owen Tippett, McLeod brothers and Chychrun. Chychrun was probably held in the highest regard but only played his OHL draft year in the GTHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sean Day strictly played in Michigan of the USA all his hockey career, but wanted to play for Canada (which is why he was gained exceptional status). However, since he sucks he couldn't make the Canadian team and tried out for USA where he was also cut from.

The Hughes brothers see themselves more American than Canadian and sometimes it sucks (Daniel Sprong with Netherlands) so I do feel for the Canadian fans here. But it's not like Canada will suffer though.

Yeah both brothers were born in Orlando, Florida, but I thought it was a Jakob Chychrun situation where he was born in Boca Raton, Florida, but his family was purely Canadian.

Sean Day doesn't suck. When was the last time you watched him play? He'll probably make the USA WJC team in December.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Jack's dad is from New York (Long Island) and his mom is from Texas.

Ok, so he's American born, to 2 American born parents. His dad played NCAA hockey. He moved to Canada when he was what 13, 14ish? And his brother went to the USNTDP and will play NCAA. It sucks when a top talent plays for a different country, but these circumstances seem make it not so egregious at all, If he does chose to play for America. I think playing for Canada would have less ground than choosing America. Playing for a nation you've lived in for 2, 3? years

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Ok, so he's American born, to 2 American born parents. His dad played NCAA hockey. He moved to Canada when he was what 13, 14ish? And his brother went to the USNTDP and will play NCAA. It sucks when a top talent plays for a different country, but these circumstances seem make it not so egregious at all, If he does chose to play for America. I think playing for Canada would have less ground than choosing America. Playing for a nation you've lived in for 2, 3? years

Sounds Murican to me too!

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
While I've accepted the fact he may represent the US. I may be mistaken but he's lived in Canada longer than in the states

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

Moved to Mississauga when he was 5 I believe...his hockey wasn't developed in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->