C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
His older brother is D Quinn Hughes from Michigan U who is going to be a top 10 pick this year. He's 1.5 years older, also 5'10', and is listed as 175 lbs so that would be a good estimate at Jack's 18 year old weight without any surprise growth spurt.

The best physical comparison is probably Brayden Point of TB who's 5'11", 165. Comparable speed (and Point is nearly as fast as McDavid) but Hughes is supposed to have better skill, hence the 2019 #1 pick projection.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Just to add to this whole size/heigth discussion, I recommend reading this analysis on size bias, position bias and league bias in the scouting and drafting process!
https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/02/15/nhl-draft-analytics-study-nhl-central-scouting/

"There is certainly a size bias in the draft which is slightly reflected in the number of players at different heights listed on central scouting but more importantly in the actual draft results. The smaller players have the highest percentage of undrafted players off central scouting. Also, the majority of players taken at 5’10” and below are taken in the sixth and seventh round (57.9%). Of the only 11 players who were 6’5” or taller listed on Central Scouting, only 1 of them was undrafted opposed to 5’9” skaters where 7 of the 9 players listed were undrafted. [...]
Combining both size and position shows that there is a slight correlation between size and position. Not only is the average height taller for defenders than forwards and that centers tend to be slightly taller then wings. The averages only tell one story, but the fact that there are only 5 defenders drafted or listed at 5’10” or shorter is significant considering there are 11 centers, 18 right wings and 11 left wings. On the opposite end there are 25 defenders listed or drafted at 6’3” or taller oppose to centers at 9, right wings at 5 and left wings at 5. [...] The data showed that there are some built in bias by both NHL teams scouting departments as well as NHL Central Scouting;"

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Comparable speed (and Point is nearly as fast as McDavid) [/QUOTE]

Yeah and I'm "nearly" as fast as McDavid too!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Comparable speed (and Point is nearly as fast as McDavid)

Yeah and I'm "nearly" as fast as McDavid too![/QUOTE]
I don't think it's crazy to say Point is in the same realm as McDavid when it comes to speed. The poster didn't claim Point was as good as McDavid.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't think it's been particularly bad in recent history. Look at the 2010 Olympic roster. Kesler, Pavelski, Backes, Stastny isn't bad at all.

I'm more talking the players between those two generations when we basically only produced Chris Drury and Scott Gomez. USAH should be able to produce a truly elite center on a consistent basis.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Comparable speed (and Point is nearly as fast as McDavid)

Yeah and I'm "nearly" as fast as McDavid too![/QUOTE]

At the all star, these were the fastest skater results:
McDavid: 13.454 seconds
Point: 13.579 seconds

1/10th of a second is why I think nearly fits.

To keep it on topic, both Hughes brothers, Quinn and Jack, are supposed to be in this elite speed category.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah and I'm "nearly" as fast as McDavid too!
I don't think it's crazy to say Point is in the same realm as McDavid when it comes to speed. The poster didn't claim Point was as good as McDavid.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say the poster said that. The use of the word nearly within the context of the all-star speed event is really nearly pointless.

Speed in the context of hockey includes the following.

Straight ahead speed, with the puck, without, backwards, first three strides, to the right , to the left, in tight traffic, whatever.

I do agree with you in terms of Jack Hughes so I should get back to the original topic.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm more talking the players between those two generations when we basically only produced Chris Drury and Scott Gomez. USAH should be able to produce a truly elite center on a consistent basis.

yep, so many flops like Bonsignore, or guys who simply could never compete on talent.

the only other name I thought the world of in that time period with Drury and Gomez was David Legwand. I really thought that kid was going to be our star center..just never produced in such a tight system like Nashville for all those years.

but yep, for centers we produced garbage from 93-2001.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
yep, so many flops like Bonsignore, or guys who simply could never compete on talent.

the only other name I thought the world of in that time period with Drury and Gomez was David Legwand. I really thought that kid was going to be our star center..just never produced in such a tight system like Nashville for all those years.

but yep, for centers we produced garbage from 93-2001.

Wow I had forgotten about Bonsignore. Wasn't he another Oiler flop?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wow I had forgotten about Bonsignore. Wasn't he another Oiler flop?

yes he was. there is a backstory there with Bonsignore about being treated really shitty there...I read it a few years ago, it was interesting as it seemed he was never really wanted there for some reason - maybe just an excuse to use, but that group in Edmonton was intimidating for newcomers so I could see it.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
yes he was. there is a backstory there with Bonsignore about being treated really ****ty there...I read it a few years ago, it was interesting as it seemed he was never really wanted there for some reason - maybe just an excuse to use, but that group in Edmonton was intimidating for newcomers so I could see it.

I guess karma has them really paying for that now.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
According to the Hughes' sports performance coach, Luke's the best skater of the three brothers.

While that’s quite a compliment, it seems inconceivable that any 14 year old could be a better skater than Jack Hughes is right now. In a comparison at the same age, I could understand that.

Jack Hughes looks like a top 3 lock in 2019, likely #1. He’s the best player on the U18 team right now, and I’m a big Oliver Wahlstrom fan.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
While that’s quite a compliment, it seems inconceivable that any 14 year old could be a better skater than Jack Hughes is right now. In a comparison at the same age, I could understand that.

Jack Hughes looks like a top 3 lock in 2019, likely #1. He’s the best player on the U18 team right now, and I’m a big Oliver Wahlstrom fan.

It was an age comparative statement.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
He is now up to 79 points in 43 GP after a 4 points weekend in the USHL. He has 9-25-34 in 18 USHL games as a 16 years-old. He was on the ice for all 4 of the NTDP goals yesterday.

He might get very close to Auston Matthews' single season point record (117 in 60GP).

Note: Turcotte, Caufield, York and Knight have been called up to the U18s so the Farabee - Hughes - Wahlstrom line seems to have been broken up with Hain replacing Farabee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad