C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
His father Jim was with Leafs in player development a couple of years ago. Currently he is working for CAA in the Toronto area.

Brother is still with USNTDP U18 team and is committed to Michigan for next year.

I wish they both had 20 pounds more each and a few more inches in height, they are both extremely talented players. Quinton's actually one of my favorite prospects in next year's draft.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Sure hope this is the case. The more of these guys in the CHL, the better. (For us selfishly anyway)
I know it's looking unlikely with McBain now, but could you imagine a core of McBain, Hughes, Niznihkov and Svechnikov in Barrie next season? :amazed:

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Sure hope this is the case. The more of these guys in the CHL, the better. (For us selfishly anyway)
I know it's looking unlikely with McBain now, but could you imagine a core of McBain, Hughes, Niznihkov and Svechnikov in Barrie next season? :amazed:

That would be ridiculous. What other team in recent memory would come close in terms of talent, outside of the 2015-16 Knights?

As for elite talent filling the CHL, I had an idea recently. With all the stuff going on with the CHL financial records, the players wanting more money, etc, why don't both parties come together to create a system where contracts stay the way they are now, with significant performance bonuses able to be offered? This way, national and international talent from the entire world, confident in their own ability, would be drawn to the financial opportunity. This would increase the talent level in the CHL, therefore leading to more entertaining games, therefore drawing larger crowds, therefore making more money for the clubs, while also enhancing the development of players by pitting the best against the best. I don't know how it would work out, but it would be interesting to see what effects the change would cause.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre

Would be pretty insane :amazed:

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
So he will be Canadian ? Is his brother American ?

We're hoping that he commits to his Canadian eligibility, and for a long time I didn't think there was ever a doubt he would not make that choice, for numerous reasons most of which you can probably find in this thread.

As for his brother, Quinton committed to the USNTDP last year and is playing for that program currently.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Maybe he just hasn't decided yet and the OHL still gives him the option of pursuing both. USNTDP kind of locks in the decision

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he will be attending the USNDP tryout camp this coming week...pretty good indication that he wants to represent the US moving forward. If he had zero intention of representing the US he would not be coming to this camp.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think trying to say which country he will represent on either side involves looking into things to much or reaching to come to the conclusion you want. I don't see anywhere where he has commented on it and him going to USNDP doesn't lock him into playing for the states just like him deciding to play in the OHL doesn't lock him into playing for Canada. Should probably wait for him to say what he wants to do instead of just saying what you think(hope) he will.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think trying to say which country he will represent on either side involves looking into things to much or reaching to come to the conclusion you want. I don't see anywhere where he has commented on it and him going to USNDP doesn't lock him into playing for the states just like him deciding to play in the OHL doesn't lock him into playing for Canada. Should probably wait for him to say what he wants to do instead of just saying what you think(hope) he will.

playing for the USNDP pretty much locks him in as they play in a number of IIHF sanctioned events. if he goes the USNDP, he will be representing the US period. that's not reaching, that's a fact. all I stated was he will be going to the tryouts which if I remember correctly, Foote and Chychrun did not go to...that means he has a solid intention of representing the US or he simply wouldn't go.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
playing for the USNDP pretty much locks him in as they play in a number of IIHF sanctioned events. if he goes the USNDP, he will be representing the US period. that's not reaching, that's a fact. all I stated was he will be going to the tryouts which if I remember correctly, Foote and Chychrun did not go to...that means he has a solid intention of representing the US or he simply wouldn't go.

But as I posted yesterday it came out that he is still leaning towards going OHL...So basically nobody knows what he wants to do. You can act like it's a fact till you are blue in the face it doesn't make it true though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But as I posted yesterday it came out that he is still leaning towards going OHL...So basically nobody knows what he wants to do. You can act like it's a fact till you are blue in the face it doesn't make it true though.

I don't recall saying it is a fact he goes and plays for the USNDP. Again, if he plans on attending this camp it means 2 things -

1. he is seriously considering playing for the USNDP next year. He would not waste his time or the USNDP roster spot if otherwise. his brother plays for the program and he obviously sees this as a desired spot for him.

2. you only go this route if your intention is to represent the US moving forward. Michael Campoli came to camp, and picked the USNDP despite having very little to do with the US youth program. It is what it is. I am sorry if me saying him coming to this camp has a strong showing of what his intentions are moving forward as names like Foote and Chychrun did not show up because they had no intention of representing the US at that time.

if Hughes goes to the OHL it is a 50-50 shot for what he picks obviously, but if he goes USNDP it is 100% what side he plays for internationally. nothing more than that.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't recall saying it is a fact he goes and plays for the USNDP. Again, if he plans on attending this camp it means 2 things -

1. he is seriously considering playing for the USNDP next year. He would not waste his time or the USNDP roster spot if otherwise. his brother plays for the program and he obviously sees this as a desired spot for him.

2. you only go this route if your intention is to represent the US moving forward. Michael Campoli came to camp, and picked the USNDP despite having very little to do with the US youth program. It is what it is. I am sorry if me saying him coming to this camp has a strong showing of what his intentions are moving forward as names like Foote and Chychrun did not show up because they had no intention of representing the US at that time.

if Hughes goes to the OHL it is a 50-50 shot for what he picks obviously, but if he goes USNDP it is 100% what side he plays for internationally. nothing more than that.
Fair enough I might have been misinterpreting what you were saying then.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

A number of IIHF sanctioned events? The only IIHF sanctioned event the USNDP takes part of is the U18 WC.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A number of IIHF sanctioned events? The only IIHF sanctioned event the USNDP takes part of is the U18 WC.

That's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure the U17 tourney isn't binding. Hughes could technically play his U17 year with the NTDP not play the U18 (assuming he was good enough to be considered), and jump to the OHL with zero impact on his citizenship status.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've heard talks that is Elite prospects page is wrong in multiple ways. Making some of the debate here pointless.

As for where he'll end up, if he's trying to dictate his location in the OHL, it is in his interest to make the USNTDP threat seem real.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
He probably wasn't worthy. I doubt after Sean Day they are going to play it loose, especially with a fairly undersized player. I don't think he even made an application.

In terms of pragmatism, he should have been granted EP status (if he applied). It would have removed the USNTDP as an option and enriched the OHL talent-wise. Now, predictably, its a toss up if he plays in the OHL.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In terms of pragmatism, he should have been granted EP status (if he applied). It would have removed the USNTDP as an option and enriched the OHL talent-wise. Now, predictably, its a toss up if he plays in the OHL.

He didn't apply so there is really no point in the discussion anyways because they aren't going to give EP to a player that doesn't ask for it lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can someone who's watched him play tell me how good he is? McDavid good? More on the Eichel or Matthews level? More on the Patrick level?

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Can someone who's watched him play tell me how good he is? McDavid good? More on the Eichel or Matthews level? More on the Patrick level?

All those guys you are giving are big centres and not comparable. Hughes is really small, I'd be surprised if he was any taller than 5'9". That's going to hurt his NHL effectiveness despite his skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad