C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What are the odds his OHL rights gets traded to the London Knights?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He plays two years in this program.
He'll go to London if they can land his rights. Otherwise, he'll spend two years in Plymouth. London was always the preferred destination.

He can't play in Europe, or at least its unlikely. Look at the rules the Swiss put on Matthews before he could play (had to graduate high-school and couldn't play a game until he was 18, causing him to miss the first 3 weeks of the season).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What are the odds his OHL rights gets traded to the London Knights?
No idea, but it might be the only way Sauga can recoup value from their selection. I'm not sure they can re-use the comp pick, as the pick they used was a comp pick for Nihznikov.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He'll go to London if they can land his rights. Otherwise, he'll spend two years in Plymouth. London was always the preferred destination.

He can't play in Europe, or at least its unlikely. Look at the rules the Swiss put on Matthews before he could play (had to graduate high-school and couldn't play a game until he was 18, causing him to miss the first 3 weeks of the season).

I don't think he's gonna want to be drafted out of the CHL. He very well could go straight to the NHL, but he should give himself the AHL option for half a season or full season. Playing for London and scoring 800 points won't make a difference towards his draft position as opposed to the NTDP program in the USHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he's gonna want to be drafted out of the CHL. He very well could go straight to the NHL, but he should give himself the AHL option for half a season or full season. Playing for London and scoring 800 points won't make a difference towards his draft position as opposed to the NTDP program in the USHL.
He wanted to play for London, and London has done very well with similar players (Kane and Marner). I understand your reasoning, but this is a statement more based on rumors around the GTA of his preference. Its not about draft preference, and more about what he sees as the better development opportunity. While stacked with talent, their have been knocks on the coaching within the USNTDP for a few years now, although having Cole leave saved them from losing kids this offseason.

The thing with Hughes, unlike the kids from New England or Minnesota, he didn't grow up loyal to college hockey and that being a dream. He played most of his life in the GTA while his dad worked for the Leafs. Kids who aren't from college hockey areas tend to choose alternative routes, such as Kane, Matthews and Seth Jones. Prior to that you had kids like Bobby Ryan choosing OHL over the Program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Wouldn't it be likely he just sticks with the program on the U18 team? or are you guys talking about his post draft year?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wouldn't it be likely he just sticks with the program on the U18 team? or are you guys talking about his post draft year?
No, I think he'll go to London if they get his rights next year, but that's a big if. Kids occasionally leave between u-17 and u-18, Max Jones was viewed as a top 10 pick when he switched, so it is not only the kids who are getting benched like Blade Jenkins.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
There's also the angle though where his whole family is in Michigan now, with Quinn at Michigan and his younger brother playing for Little Caesars. Playing for the U18 team he'll be playing against college teams, and face more of a challenge there instead of meaninglessly tearing up the OHL. And from there he can decide between NHL (if he can stick) AHL or NCAA following his brother, instead of getting stuck in the OHL for another year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wanted to play for London, and London has done very well with similar players (Kane and Marner). I understand your reasoning, but this is a statement more based on rumors around the GTA of his preference. Its not about draft preference, and more about what he sees as the better development opportunity. While stacked with talent, their have been knocks on the coaching within the USNTDP for a few years now, although having Cole leave saved them from losing kids this offseason.

The thing with Hughes, unlike the kids from New England or Minnesota, he didn't grow up loyal to college hockey and that being a dream. He played most of his life in the GTA while his dad worked for the Leafs. Kids who aren't from college hockey areas tend to choose alternative routes, such as Kane, Matthews and Seth Jones. Prior to that you had kids like Bobby Ryan choosing OHL over the Program.

FWIW, I don't expect him to even commit to a college program, I don't think thats an option, but despite what you are saying, and I don't doubt you've heard that, I would guess he stays in the NTDP program for two years, and then goes straight to the NHL. If the NHL, AHL. I also wouldn't rule out that he does what Matthews did, and sign in Europe for a year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
FWIW, I don't expect him to even commit to a college program, I don't think thats an option, but despite what you are saying, and I don't doubt you've heard that, I would guess he stays in the NTDP program for two years, and then goes straight to the NHL. If the NHL, AHL. I also wouldn't rule out that he does what Matthews did, and sign in Europe for a year.
I'd be surprised to see the Europe route. His dad now works for CAA and I don't expect him to encourage an unconventional route, I'd expect college hockey or London even if stay the full 2 years, if not in the NHL. Matthews was an anomaly, I don't expect it to be the norm. No NHL team is going to willingly send an NA player to Europe, it will be on of the classic routes.

I also think if he's trying to make the jump straight to the NHL, London is a better option at 17 than the program.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
I'd be surprised to see the Europe route. His dad now works for CAA and I don't expect him to encourage an unconventional route, I'd expect college hockey or London even if stay the full 2 years, if not in the NHL. Matthews was an anomaly, I don't expect it to be the norm. No NHL team is going to willingly send an NA player to Europe, it will be on of the classic routes.

I also think if he's trying to make the jump straight to the NHL, London is a better option at 17 than the program.

The best option is to accelerate his schooling and play NCAA next year as a 17 year old true U18 player like Werenski and Hanifin. Second best is to stay with NTDP and get experience playing against NCAA structure defenses and older/stronger players. Third best option is to go to OHL. He needs to increase some size, strength and figure out how to play against men and the first two options provide that next year.

Reactions: JiggsNY

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
The best option is to accelerate his schooling and play NCAA next year as a 17 year old true U18 player like Werenski and Hanifin. Second best is to stay with NTDP and get experience playing against NCAA structure defenses and older/stronger players. Third best option is to go to OHL. He needs to increase some size, strength and figure out how to play against men and the first two options provide that next year.
And if he accelerates his schooling he could play with his brother at Michigan, because as good as Quinn is he'll need another year in college to develop strength, especially cause of his smaller size for a D-man, before jumping to the NHL

But I don;t know how soon you have to commit to accelerating and how that works, or when you'd hear about it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm kind of surprised. People seriously are expecting him to not be playing in NHL right after being drafted? Of course, it's still slightly early but I thought that that'd be completely obvious. Europe shouldn't be on the radar at all and NCAA seems like a total waste of time, too.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I also wouldn't rule out that he does what Matthews did, and sign in Europe for a year.

The only reason Matthews went to Europe was that he wasn't eligible for the NHL Draft after he finished with the US NTDP due to having a late birthday. That will not be the case with Hughes -- he will be eligible for the 2019 draft. So, I do not see Europe being an option for him. He will either stay in the NTDP next season or go to the OHL -- but the latter reduces his options after the NHL Draft (no possibility of playing a short period of time in the AHL).

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yeah I think his best option is to accelerate schooling and go to a college for his draft year, Europe was different for Matthews and doesn't apply to Jack at all really. College is probably the best competition he could face next year, better development than either NTDP or CHL, he doesn't need to rack points up in juniors, and would be better served playing against older men developing strength and physicality needed. Going to college he wont be hampered by CHL/ NHL agreement and can go college again/ AHL/ or NHL, but that doesn't matter he should be a shoe in for the NHL after his draft.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Can he not play this year with the U17/18, next year with the U18 and the following year jump straight into the NHL? With the U18 team, he would still be playing against top colleges.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not a very terrifying projected roster for the so-called favourite by any means, but the Americans always seem to gel together and get the most out of their players of any team, so there’s that. Who else is ticking down the days to preliminary play?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The forward group is sick. Not sure what you're looking at. Defense is the question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad