C Henrik Borgström - HIFK, Liiga (2016, 23rd, FLA; traded to CHI)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Should be exciting watching The Panthers in the future if this kid pans out. Barkov looks better each passing season and if Borgström can bring his game into NHL we may be talking about one of the best top two center combos in the league in the future. If I remember correctly, Henrik was actually compared to Alexander pre-draft in the way he can handle the puck and you can clearly see why. He has some great hands for sure.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Just watching from highlights but I think he'd easily move to wing in the NHL and may make more sense there.
Seeing him play some games I see him still better as a center. I think of the very promising centers that Florida has it will be rather Heponiemi whom will be better on the wing. Heponiemi is so small and he will never be a big and strong player. I believe that the best centers need to be pretty strong in the NHL (of course in addition to having great skills).

I do still believe that Heponiemi will become a very good player in the NHL eventually. He just might need to switch to the winger position to get a good spot for himself in Florida.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Is it btw really true that he had mono just before the season started? I mean I had mono when I was 22 and it was really bad. Had to stay in the hospital for almost two weeks and after it I had a month forbidden for doing any kind of exhausting sports. It ruined my fall in soccer and even affected my floorball season in the winter. Kind of lost a step for several months.

I mean what Borgström is doing at the moment is absolutely amazing, especially if he really has had mono only recently.

Last edited:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Is it btw really true that he had mono just before the season started? I mean I had mono when I was 22 and it was really bad. Had to stay in the hospital for almost two weeks and after it I had a month forbidden for doing any kind of exhausting sports. It ruined my fall in soccer and even affected my floorball season in the winter. Kind of lost a step for several months.

I mean what Borgström is doing at the moment is absolutely amazing, especially if he really has had mono only recently.
Yes: Opiskelu ja jääkiekko yhdistyvät NCAA:ssa , great article too.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
He is playing in the NCAA like it's OHL or WHL. Ridiculous pace right now. Hepo and Borgs will be great for Florida sooner or later.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He is playing in the NCAA like it's OHL or WHL. Ridiculous pace right now. Hepo and Borgs will be great for Florida sooner or later.

There should be no reason for Borgstrom to stay in the NCAA, 3-4 year NCAA players don't tend to become impact players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There should be no reason for Borgstrom to stay in the NCAA, 3-4 year NCAA players don't tend to become impact players.
He should be ready for atleast the AHL next year (if he isn't already). If the Panthers stay as bad as they are, I could see him getting an end of season taste in the show similar to Boeser and Keller last year.

There have been a decent amount of impact guys though who have stayed 3 years, but it tends to be more defenceman, for example McDonagh. But, I can think of quite a few really good NHL players who have stayed 3 years. Such as Wheeler, Kreider, Oshie, Shattenkirk, and Gardiner who were also all first round picks. But, they do generally leave as underclassmen. I'll also ignore goalies because there development curves are quite different (Miller, Schneider, etc). Its also probably better to ignore the late-bloomers or underrated such as Gaudreau and way prior to that MSL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He should be ready for atleast the AHL next year (if he isn't already). If the Panthers stay as bad as they are, I could see him getting an end of season taste in the show similar to Boeser and Keller last year.

There have been a decent amount of impact guys though who have stayed 3 years, but it tends to be more defenceman, for example McDonagh. But, I can think of quite a few really good NHL players who have stayed 3 years. Such as Wheeler, Kreider, Oshie, Shattenkirk, and Gardiner who were also all first round picks. But, they do generally leave as underclassmen. I'll also ignore goalies because there development curves are quite different (Miller, Schneider, etc). Its also probably better to ignore the late-bloomers or underrated such as Gaudreau and way prior to that MSL.

I know there are some examples of course who have become impact players, but Wheeler& Oshie are around 30y, they tend to be pretty rare ones(similar sized to Borgstrom).

I can't see how dominating years and almost from the start can be the best thing for ones development. For Florida it's extremely important a guy like Borgstrom turns into a strong contributor to their team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know there are some examples of course who have become impact players, but Wheeler& Oshie are around 30y, they tend to be pretty rare ones(similar sized to Borgstrom).

I can't see how dominating years and almost from the start can be the best thing for ones development. For Florida it's extremely important a guy like Borgstrom turns into a strong contributor to their team.

I feel like your logic is a bit off here. Generally, 3-4 year college players are the guys who aren't good enough to earn contracts after year 1 or 2. The better players (except for Ivy League guys) usually leave because they're pushing off future earnings if they stay longer. If someone like Keller stayed all four years, I don't think that would stop him from being an impact player when he eventually turned pro, but he's better off joining the NHL, making close to a million, and then being able to cash in on his next deal sooner.

For a guy like Borgstrom, I don't think it will matter when he turns pro, but moreso what he does when he turns pro.

Reactions: Jakeybonz2

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wonder if he can go to the KHL? Tolvanen made it seem like more of a possibility for high end European prospects. Especially for Finns with a Finnish team in the league.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Wonder if he can go to the KHL? Tolvanen made it seem like more of a possibility for high end European prospects. Especially for Finns with a Finnish team in the league.
I don't think they are considering KHL for Borgström at this point. He could stick with Florida next year. Maybe if he can't get a spot even the year after and AHL doesn't seem fit for his development.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
this is why you don't trade 1-3rd round picks

Reactions: stl76

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Borgstrom scores more beautiful goals than any prospect I've watched, he has the skill to be one of the most entertaining players in the NHL at some point. He plays like a Datsyuk/Zetterberg hybrid, but he's much lankier than those two.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
His amazing season is continuing. 2+1 in his last game and now his season total is 13+9=22. And all this in only 11 games, so his pace is already 2,0 PPG, which is an absolutely amazing pace in the NCAA. Very interesting to see if he can hold on to this kind of pace for the whole season. It would be wonderful if he could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad