C Henrik Borgström - HIFK, Liiga (2016, 23rd, FLA; traded to CHI)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Reminds me of that Malkin goal where he caught the puck in stride and scored.

Borgstrom caught it, deked a guy, then roofed the damn thing. :popcorn:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
How did he go undrafted. It boggles my mind.

He grew a LOT in like one or two years (six inches I think?) so that just messed with his hockey everything - he had back problems plus his skating was supposedly terrible. Stopped growing, settled into his body, magic started to happen and here we are today.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He grew a LOT in like one or two years (six inches I think?) so that just messed with his hockey everything - he had back problems plus his skating was supposedly terrible. Stopped growing, settled into his body, magic started to happen and here we are today.
Yeah, he was 5'7 at the start of the 2014-15 season :laugh: Pretty unbelievable growth spurt. It also explains his lanky frame. Edit: I checked it again, he was actually 5'6 in september 2014, that's a growth spurt of 9 inches... wtf :laugh:

Last edited:

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Yeah, he was 5'7 at the start of the 2014-15 season :laugh: Pretty unbelievable growth spurt. It also explains his lanky frame. Edit: I checked it again, he was actually 5'6 in september 2014, that's a growth spurt of 9 inches... wtf :laugh:

Yeah, that's just stupid amounts of growth. He's a very late bloomer. And if he continues on this trajectory, he'll certainly make team Finland in the future. There's a lot of quality wingers developing, but not that many centers beyond Barkov(although I think Aho might have a future at C, maybe Rantanen too).

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I have reservations regarding his defense. Might be better suited as a winger. But then again players can develop their defensive game quite a bit and not all centermen need to be great at defense.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I have reservations regarding his defense. Might be better suited as a winger. But then again players can develop their defensive game quite a bit and not all centermen need to be great at defense.

Looking at some highlights he seems to be utilize his stick handling ability more in the middle of the ice than in the corners. Also he may be a bit too frail to win battles along the boards.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I think Barkov will do the job as a mentor for him just fine in that regard in a couple of years. :)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Paid no attention that he was at Denver and I follow college hockey haha. He and Kunin are the only young guns with 20+ goals, not even Jost or Keller.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Paid no attention that he was at Denver and I follow college hockey haha. He and Kunin are the only young guns with 20+ goals, not even Jost or Keller.
What's impressive too that it his first season on a small ice. Other thing to consider how raw he is physically, he weighs 10lbs less than Kunin, while being three inches taller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad