C Henrik Borgström - HIFK, Liiga (2016, 23rd, FLA; traded to CHI)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I've heard his skating was a problem while ago but looking at some of the recent highlights, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Here's hoping he will pan out since big centers with great vision and silky hands are always a treat to watch in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I heard his skating was an issue in his original draft year but made huge strides last season. I don't see it being an issue moving forward.

Guy is big, smooth, and sees the ice incredibly well.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I've heard his skating was a problem while ago but looking at some of the recent highlights, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
It's not surprise if Borgström has been able to improve his skating quickly. He has grown up rapidly until recently so that obviously affects skating. Now he probably starts to feel comfortable with his big body and has been able to focus on skating department.

The kid has incredible hands so if he can still improve his skating and learn more complete game, he can become really amazing player. Ceiling with him is really high.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I've heard his skating was a problem while ago but looking at some of the recent highlights, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Here's hoping he will pan out since big centers with great vision and silky hands are always a treat to watch in the NHL.

His hands are going way above his shoulders with the celebrations. Finnish prospects need to stop doing that and be good canadian boys

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Borgstrom is sick. Wicked shot and release, finesse stickhandling, great passing and vision. Very impressive goalscoring instincts for a center. His skating a respectable and doesn't look choppy, but his top speed appears to lack a gear or two.

Top 6 potential in this guy for sure. Exciting player.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Borgstrom is sick. Wicked shot and release, finesse stickhandling, great passing and vision. Very impressive goalscoring instincts for a center. His skating a respectable and doesn't look choppy, but his top speed appears to lack a gear or two.

Top 6 potential in this guy for sure. Exciting player.
I saw flashes of those things in the WJC, especially his vision and stickhandling in tight. I was actually surprised by his skating, he was smooth and his glide was impressive.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What are the thoughts on this player?

His edge work is incredible.

I go to quite a few Pioneer home games.

He said at the draft his primary reason for choosing college hockey is he can strength train a lot more and put on weight. 6'3 182ibs
Joe Colborne had a similar game plan when he joined DU.

He is incredibly lanky.

His biggest strength is his wrist shot.

He leads every freshman in the NCHC in most categories like points, goals, plus/minus and shots on goal etc

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This guy is looking like a steal already. You rarely get such a high skill, highly potential player with such a frame late in the first round.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It's hard to understand how a 6'3 guy can handle the puck like that, wow

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
This guy is looking like a steal already. You rarely get such a high skill, highly potential player with such a frame late in the first round.
Dale Tallon sure has some eye on talent. Before the draft he watched him skate 2h in Chicago at an elite camp and said "wow, this is just something we can’t overlook".

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That's great to watch, hopefully he keeps it up. Makes it more surprising how bad Finland played with players like him and Tolvanen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's great to watch, hopefully he keeps it up. Makes it more surprising how bad Finland played with players like him and Tolvanen.

Coaching was a mess, goaltender once again was garbage. Lost 7 of our best forwards from last year.

Borgstrom definitely has some beauty skills, he just needs to add weight/strenght. Barkov- Trocheck- Borgstrom in the middle could be a nightmare in few years.

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
looks like he has the potential to be a star if he fixes the holes in his game, which he seems to be working on. damn florida

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That would be disappointing.

Boy you have serious unrealistic expectations

Rakell is 23 years old and leads his team in goals.

He has probably one of the best contracts in the league.
If I had a bottom of the 1st round pick turn out like him, I'd be pumped.

:shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->