C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
These guys scoring against kids in the CHL isn't a problem. The problems with this path surface the closer they get to the NHL. I suspect he will be similar to these guys like Goldobin, Zykov, Scherbak etc that are twisting in the wind on the fringe of the NHL.
And again, the Flyers fans issue was playing time. He SHOULD have been in the VHL, but was being dicked around. 3 minutes of playing time in the KHL vs playing in the MHL and not being challenged enough. The VHL or CHL is the happy medium of both. We just want him to play.

I fully expect he will be slow cooked in ten AHL for 2 years...it's the Hextall way in most cases.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
You make some good points, but I'll stick with Rubtsov just to keep it on topic.

Something that people should remember is that he came to NA because he wasn't playing in the KHL, and he was getting yo-yo'd to the MHL. The Flyers org. and most fans were fine with him being in the VHL or getting decent minutes on Vityaz.

Him playing in the CHL isn't going to stunt his development. It should be good for him if he can stay healthy and learn to play as a top-tier guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You make some good points, but I'll stick with Rubtsov just to keep it on topic.

Something that people should remember is that he came to NA because he wasn't playing in the KHL, and he was getting yo-yo'd to the MHL. The Flyers org. and most fans were fine with him being in the VHL or getting decent minutes on Vityaz.

Him playing in the CHL isn't going to stunt his development. It should be good for him if he can stay healthy and learn to play as a top-tier guy.

I'd have much less of a problem with it if he was playing in the AHL. I think guys that come out of these actual hockey academies in Europe benefit a lot from playing against men from an early age. The NA system works for NA kids, but I don't see how Rubtsov in the CHL is a ton different than Rubtsov in the MHL. The league is better, but its still the same concept. A professional player who will likely be in the NHL in a year or two against mostly kids who won't play pro hockey and don't on a nightly basis match his game. There might be a few in the league who can, but thats the problem, he can take nights off, the whole concept is not good for a guy you'd expect to be contributing to your NHL team within a few years. I think the CHL would be better for long term development players, its not good for the top prospects past their draft year. I don't like the CHL option for any of these top players, even the NA ones. I think they are much better served in pro hockey, and I think the NHL needs to negotiate into the next CBA an end to the CHL's instance that they keep their top players.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I'd have much less of a problem with it if he was playing in the AHL.
The Flyers are very cautious about not throwing their prospects in over their heads. They probably want to see him dominate in the Q before he gets to the AHL. That was a head-scratcher for a lot of Flyers fans too.

Don't get me started on that stupid 20th birthday rule for CHL players. We've had to watch our blue chip D prospects rot in juniors when they could have been playing against men.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Scott Gordon isn’t a good coach so going back to juniors over the AHL wasn’t the worst call. Obviously the organization doesn’t think that & had other motives to do so. They likely wanted to see him fill out more & play a bigger role than he would in the minors. But in reality less time away from Scott Gordon isn’t a bad thing.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Why should he get decent minutes with Vityaz without earning them?

Give him decent minutes on the Flyers then or we riot.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A lot of the Russians who are busting out of the NHL never had a North American hockey skill set. The teams who are better at drafting/developing Russian players are able to predict whether their skills can translate to the NHL.

I'm not saying the Flyers are there yet, but their two best Russian prospects are:
Vorobyev- Two way player who's a great passer
Rubtsov- Two way player who can snipe and pass.

Those skills translate to the NHL
What the f. Is the "north american skill set"?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Well, he is playing with Chicoutimi. Aren't we talking about his junior years? I have no doubt he would log decent minutes in the KHL a few years from now, at least more than 3.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, he is playing with Chicoutimi. Aren't we talking about his junior years? I have no doubt he would log decent minutes in the KHL a few years from now, at least more than 3.
Then what's the problem with him playing in the MHL? Being called up to play 3 minutes in the KHL is a bonus. He is a junior level player now. He did nothing to justufy him being put on a men's league roster, but people get all dizzy becase he wasn't given minutes in the KHL or VHL for that matter just like that.

He should have stayed in the MHL. A much better option for him than canadian juniors.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why should he get decent minutes with Vityaz without earning them?

I think you're right.

It should be really easy for him to earn more time in the KHL by playing a minuscule amount of time per game.

Sure, some might say that he isn't getting enough time or opportunities to show what he's got, but I don't think they've ever developed a skill before.
I remember when I tried to teach myself to cook I limited my time in the kitchen to 5 minutes per week. It worked perfectly. Instead of watering down my learning over a long period of time, I had 5 minute super lessons where I had just enough time to chop up some ingredients and turn on the stove. Then the for the rest of the year I just did it over and over again. Before I knew it, I had 2 Michelin Stars.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think you're right.

It should be really easy for him to earn more time in the KHL by playing a minuscule amount of time per game.

Sure, some might say that he isn't getting enough time or opportunities to show what he's got, but I don't think they've ever developed a skill before.
I remember when I tried to teach myself to cook I limited my time in the kitchen to 5 minutes per week. It worked perfectly. Instead of watering down my learning over a long period of time, I had 5 minute super lessons where I had just enough time to chop up some ingredients and turn on the stove. Then the for the rest of the year I just did it over and over again. Before I knew it, I had 2 Michelin Stars.

Oh c'mon. Russia has been developing players in this manner since forever. And, 2nd to Canada (who also have 6.5 x the total players we do) we have developed the most skilled players in the history of the game.
For us it's about practice, practice, practice.....skill, skill, skill.

There is no wrong way to develop (NA vs Russia). However, what harms young players is switching from one method of development immediately to another at the tender age of 16-19. Particularly for forwards. Although it hasn't harmed some outliers (Kucherov, Radulov...I can't think of anymore) it's been a total disaster for the gazillion other high end Russian forwards who've taken the CHL route the last 20 years.
Will the same hold true for Rubtsov? Who knows? But the odds are against him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I agree. It would be better for him to get less than 5 minutes per game and be physically overmatched than for him to get a normal amount of time, while playing against people his own age, as he gets stronger.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The bitterness levels are off the charts in this thread. :laugh:

What Rubtsov needs to do is start producing off the charts. 11 points in 11 games vs juniors is utterly unacceptable for someone of his talent level and age (1998). Moreover it's even more unacceptable for someone who's pegged to be our #1 center for WJC. Let's hope he picks it up.:crossfing

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
What Rubtsov needs to do is start producing off the charts. 11 points in 11 games vs juniors is utterly unacceptable for someone of his talent level and age (1998). Moreover it's even more unacceptable for someone who's pegged to be our #1 center for WJC. Let's hope he picks it up.:crossfing
The coach in Chicoutimi has been playing him mostly at wing, so you guys should be hoping he gets traded if you want him to get enough ice time as a center to be the #1 C at the WJC.

He should start scoring more now. He was slow to get goals, but now they're coming.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The coach in Chicoutimi has been playing him mostly at wing, so you guys should be hoping he gets traded if you want him to get enough ice time as a center to be the #1 C at the WJC.

He should start scoring more now. He was slow to get goals, but now they're coming.

Well that's no good.

I knew he played wing last year; but not also this year. Rubtsov is a natural center-man with all the abilities sans faceoffs. He's gotta keep developing those skill-sets.

As such, perhaps Bragin will be forced to use him at wing again (2nd or 3rd line now).:thumbd:

Reactions: Atas2000

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
His junior team is one of the worst in the Q right now. They’re the second worst scoring team in the league. They lost some key players who put up good numbers along with Rubtsov from last year’s team. The expectation is that he should be traded soon to a better team in the league where he should get more help around him. Acadie-Bathurst seems to be the most often team associated with trade rumors for him.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
His junior team is one of the worst in the Q right now. They’re the second worst scoring team in the league. They lost some key players who put up good numbers along with Rubtsov from last year’s team. The expectation is that he should be traded soon to a better team in the league where he should get more help around him. Acadie-Bathurst seems to be the most often team associated with trade rumors for him.

He should be able to do more no matter the team around him. Chicoutimi is struggling offensively because Rubtsov doesn't have the impact they need him to have. The best players make others around them better, they don't need others to play better.

He'll probably put up more points if he's traded and he can turn it around but as of now, his game has been sub par.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, I agree. It would be better for him to get less than 5 minutes per game and be physically overmatched than for him to get a normal amount of time, while playing against people his own age, as he gets stronger.
So MHL would be the best option. I agree.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why? He'd probably play a lot there... we don't want that.

Ideally he goes back to the KHL after this year so he can follow the Kuznetsov and co development path, step by step. Should be just that easy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe a Panarin. That would do. Your attempts are okay. But the facts tell us a story over the last 10 or so years.
Or maybe a Shipachov. How is that working out?

If Rubstov was in the MHL and VHL last year getting lots of minutes, no Flyers fans would be complaining. Playing 3 minutes in the KHL is just a waste.

VHL or CHL is where he should be at this year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I'm confused why you discredit Kucherov's success in the CHL because he "only played half a season" yet Rubstov has played less than half a season and you're blaming the CHL for ruining him...?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Or maybe a Shipachov. How is that working out?

If Rubstov was in the MHL and VHL last year getting lots of minutes, no Flyers fans would be complaining. Playing 3 minutes in the KHL is just a waste.

VHL or CHL is where he should be at this year.
Out of MHL, VHL, KHL, CHL, AHL - CHL is tge worst option available. So why CHL or VHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad