C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How does he compare to Barbashev.

I don't like Barbashev at all, whereas Rubtsov looks like Malkin-lite to me. In a good way.

Similar smooth stride. Very big and powerful. Huge reach. Not quite the same hands, but excellent vision. Considerable defensive upside.

I would not be shocked to see him go top 5.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
I don't like Barbashev at all, whereas Rubtsov looks like Malkin-lite to me. In a good way.

Similar smooth stride. Very big and powerful. Huge reach. Not quite the same hands, but excellent vision. Considerable defensive upside.

Top 5 ?

What are you seeing that scouts aren't? The lowest I've seen him ranked is 11th.

Also Malkin isn't the comparison I see from the International games I've seen, he reminds me more of Kopitar, 2 way tenacious, playmaker.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Theres no way he goes top 5.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Top 5 ?

What are you seeing that scouts aren't? The lowest I've seen him ranked is 11th.

Also Malkin isn't the comparison I see from the International games I've seen, he reminds me more of Kopitar, 2 way tenacious, playmaker.

he's a bit lower, than he should be due to russian factor. if only he was na player... top-10 talent for sure.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Top 5 ?

I am not disputing the fact that Rubtsov is not presently ranked in the top 5 by journo-scouts (as I call them).

I will say two things though: a) Rubtsov has been underscouted and underexposed to mainstream scouting services (not to be confused for NHL scouts who have minds of their own) and b) I see Rubtsov as a likely riser with some hockey still to be played, including a major U18 tournament ahead of us.

I see no point to mistaking the journo end of scouting with NHL scouting. It does not really matter where Rubtsov is ranked by ISSS, McKeen's, Redline or otherwise.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
jesus, the guy gets overrated big time. he'd be a good pick in the second round and that's it. only a year ago sokolov was clearly outperforming him on the nt. now sokolov has fallen of a cliff and rubtsov is a star in the making. lol.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
jesus, the guy gets overrated big time. he'd be a good pick in the second round and that's it. only a year ago sokolov was clearly outperforming him on the nt. now sokolov has fallen of a cliff and rubtsov is a star in the making. lol.

It's called progress you know. Rubtsov is on another level now compared to last year. You either didnt watch him a single time this season, or just dont like him for some reason. He has some excellent tools and he's only good 2nd rounder.. The same story was with Kucherov, who have also been known as good 2nd rounder, not more... Until last year. Once again Rubtsov is ppg kid in MHL, while constantly brings great two-way play and a lot of face off wins to the table. He has leadership qualities and he's heart and soul of his team. Was amazing at WJAC. I just trust professional scouts, MHL coaches and my eyes more than you, sorry. But nice try anyway...

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
It's called progress you know. Rubtsov is on another level now compared to last year. You either didnt watch him a single time this season, or just dont like him for some reason. He has some excellent tools and he's only good 2nd rounder.. The same story was with Kucherov, who have also been known as good 2nd rounder, not more... Until last year. Once again Rubtsov is ppg kid in MHL, while constantly brings great two-way play and a lot of face off wins to the table. He has leadership qualities and he's heart and soul of his team. Was amazing at WJAC. I just trust professional scouts, MHL coaches and my eyes more than you, sorry. But nice try anyway...
what try? i expressed my opinion. obviously it doesn't concur with yours. maybe you should grow up and stop taking umbrage over different points of view.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
what try? i expressed my opinion. obviously it doesn't concur with yours. maybe you should grow up and stop taking umbrage over different points of view.

Your opinion based on what? His last year's performance? I'm absolutely OK with opinions, which don't concur with mine. But there should be some arguments and reasons for that and not just "Sokolov was better last year, but he has been regressing so far and now Rubtsov is becoming overrated". It's not an argument in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to offend you, but that Sokolov-Rubtsov statement was weird thing to read.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Your opinion based on what? His last year's performance? I'm absolutely OK with opinions, which don't concur with mine. But there should be some arguments and reasons for that and not just "Sokolov was better last year, but he has been regressing so far and now Rubtsov is becoming overrated". It's not an argument in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to offend you, but that Sokolov-Rubtsov statement was weird thing to read.
my opinion comes from seeing him play. the last time it's like a half a year ago though. while he has a nice set of tools, there's basically nothing he excels in. reminds me of barbashev in this regard. as for rubtsov-sokolov statement. you twist my words then come to your own false conclusions and put them in my mouth. that's lame. what i mean by it is that rubtsov hasn't done anything to deserve the hype he gets, while the player who left for the chl and was clearly a better player last year is dropping like a rock. do u think sokolov wouldn't be a ppg player in the mhl, had he stayer in russia? he would.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Guys make big leaps in progress all the time in their draft years. There are also often surprise risers on the day on the draft, and I think Rubtsov could be one of those (although he wouldn't a Hickey-type surprise, considering that he is already around 10-15 on many lists).

But not necessarily. I think he has that much upside for one team to pick him up very high.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Josh Hennessey outplayed Patrice Bergeron at 16 and 17 years old and he didn't amount to anything in the NHL.

It had absolutely no impact on Bergeron.

Sokolov has nothing to do with Rubtsov.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
my opinion comes from seeing him play. the last time it's like a half a year ago though.

I.e you watched him last time roughly speaking in August? I'd say you missed a lot since then.

while he has a nice set of tools, there's basically nothing he excels in. reminds me of barbashev in this regard.

Disagree. Just because he's way more creative and skilled with a puck compared to Barbashev. Rubtsov has a lot bigger offensive upside, he's also smarter player and way more dynamic from my viewings.

as for rubtsov-sokolov statement. you twist my words then come to your own false conclusions and put them in my mouth. that's lame.

I twist your words? Really? You said (word for word): "only a year ago sokolov was clearly outperforming him on the nt. now sokolov has fallen of a cliff and rubtsov is a star in the making.". Since "rubtsov is a star in the making" is clearly the ":sarcasm:", I believe I said pretty much the same thing: "Sokolov was better last year, but he has been regressing so far and now Rubtsov is becoming overrated".

what i mean by it is that rubtsov hasn't done anything to deserve the hype he gets while the player who left for the chl and was clearly a better player last year is dropping like a rock.

Yea, he has done nothing but had a couple of great tournaments like Hlinka and WJAC and while being motor of his MHL team, he's likely already one of the most complete players in MHL.

while the player who left for the chl and was clearly a better player last year is dropping like a rock.

Last year was last year. And what's Sokolov got to do with Rubtsov's success? Development isn't linear you should know that. There are tons of similar cases like Kabanov, Filatov, Grigorenko etc., who were on another level compared to their peers. But where are all of them now? Same with Sokolov. He was just a shooting machine with really great hands, while being slow and lazy and overweight. His red flags were always pretty obvious in my mind, at least since WHC-17. The current situation doesnt surprise me at all.

do u think sokolov wouldn't be a ppg player in the mhl, had he stayer in russia? he would

He would, if he stayed in Russia. But he didn't. And now he's regressed so much, that Prokhorov just doesn't wish to see him nearby U18 team, whereas Rubtsov only has made huge steps in his development and Prokhorov calls him "a star in the making" like you said earlier. That's the story.

Josh Hennessey outplayed Patrice Bergeron at 16 and 17 years old and he didn't amount to anything in the NHL.

It had absolutely no impact on Bergeron.

Sokolov has nothing to do with Rubtsov.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have Rubtsov as the 5th best prospect right now, although I don't think he'll go top 5. I think he'll probably go around where Guryanov went.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I have Rubtsov as the 5th best prospect right now, although I don't think he'll go top 5. I think he'll probably go around where Guryanov went.

Can't say I know this player, but the NHL teams need to do better in scouting the Russian players.

Tell me that Kuznetsov would have gone 26th if the 2010 draft was redone. I have him 4th, behind Hall/Seguin/Johansen... 20+ teams screwed up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Really? Wow who ahead of him i have Matthews 2 Finns and Dubois as top 4

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really? Wow who ahead of him i have Matthews 2 Finns and Dubois as top 4

I've started to really start going off of my own opinion, and not just sticking close to the consensus of the experts.

What I have right now is this. You'll notice I have Rubtsov and Jones much higher than some others, and Puljujarvi and Tkachuk much lower than some other people have them. I highly doubt that will be where they go in the draft, but thats my opinion on the top 10 for now.

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Chychrun
4. Dubois
5. Rubtsov
6. Sergachyov
7. Jones
8. Puljujarvi
9. Tkachuk
10. Juolevi

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've started to really start going off of my own opinion, and not just sticking close to the consensus of the experts.

What I have right now is this. You'll notice I have Rubtsov and Jones much higher than some others, and Puljujarvi and Tkachuk much lower than some other people have them. I highly doubt that will be where they go in the draft, but thats my opinion on the top 10 for now.

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Chychrun
4. Dubois
5. Rubtsov
6. Sergachyov
7. Jones
8. Puljujarvi
9. Tkachuk
10. Juolevi

Tbh this is a fair respectable opinion, to me its Laine/Matthews then the rest is mostly a matter of opinion, some may even prefer Sergachyov to Chychrun.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Russian U-18 National Hockey team was caught doping, I presume Rubtsov was involved since he's on the team.

Will he now drop out of the first round?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The Russian U-18 National Hockey team was caught doping, I presume Rubtsov was involved since he's on the team.

It's Meldonium and all the teams has been caught so this has probably more to do with higher instance.

I don't think it should affect, maybe a little bit, his draft stock.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Probably will drop a bit, since he will not be able to get additional exposure at the WJC. I doubt that he is out of the first round, since that substance isn't the one that can make him much better than he is and I expect that most scouts will be aware of that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will teams take a chance on a player who's been caught doping though? Regardless what it is, doping is serious. I'm not sure no matter how much I liked a player's potential that I'd take a "caught doper" in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->