C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Is he playing center in the SHL, and if he is do you think he'll play center for the Canucks? Or will he play as a LW? A Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser line would be sick

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Going into this season, if he had scored half this many points, most of us would have considered that a very successful first season.

This is crazy.

He’s a great playmaker, with a great shot...paired with Boeser on the PP, that could be a really dynamic duo...you can only cheat on one guy to take his shot away. He should really help free up some ice for Boeser.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
How come? And don't say "size".

He's in the same company with Swedish all-time greats in SHL scoring. He could be something very special.

I wouldn't expect too much substance. It's the same poster who argued that Seguin is a better goal scorer than other similar high-end goal scorers because he doesn't score near the front of the net.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Is he playing center in the SHL, and if he is do you think he'll play center for the Canucks? Or will he play as a LW? A Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser line would be sick
He played W in the first half, but has been at C since returning from the WJC.

He'll get sheltered in Vancouver next year, I'd expect him to play the wing for a little bit.

edited: played both wings early on

Last edited:

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
He'll be overmatched next year in the NHL. Put him in the AHL and only promote him to the big club if he's 1+ppg. No need to put him in that tire fire Van's going to have next year.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
898989.jpg

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

He's in the same company with Swedish all-time greats in SHL scoring. He could be something very special.

My view of Elias is that he is to smart to fail even if he doesn't gain much weight. With IQ and hands like that he will find a way to succeed no matter what. Sure might take him a little time to figure out how to play the game over there, but it will happen

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Apparently Pettersson got emotional on the bench after scoring his 4th point and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. He gave an interview during the 2nd intermission just now about being emotional and working hard to get to where he is now.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Pettersson played mostly RW to start the season, then had a strech of ~8 games at LW before the WJC. For about 8 games after the WJC he played C, and is now back on the RW. Imo he's a much more effective RWer/C vs LWer.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This size and weight stuff is getting way too much play, especially in today's NHL which is nowhere near as rough as in bygone decades. If Pettersson starts in the NHL next season he will be 14 months older than Wayne Gretzky was when he started. First-year Gretzky was quite possibly the skinniest, physically weakest NHL player I've ever seen and he tied for the scoring title that season. Why shouldn't Pettersson with an extra year of maturity be able to take a regular shift in the NHL, given that he is arguably the best forward in the SHL this season? His skill level will determine his future. Lack of size is more of an issue for defencemen and goalies, not nearly so much for forwards.

Reactions: 42 and Kreator

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Oh god no... he'll be given every chance to play in the NHL next year. He's leading the SHL in scoring... nothing more to prove over there.

I figured he'd be given a chance in the AHL first to adjust. But, you are probably right. Canucks probably should go ahead and give him a shot to make the NHL team. How is his 2-way game? I thought I heard that he is not good defensively at all

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Really curious to see how he will perform in the NHL. I'd assume he is a couple of years away still

He is probably ready now. He has been playing against men the past two years and doing just fine. He has dominated this year. He is elusive (hard to hit) and doesn't seem to mind dirty areas. Ironically, he is about same weight a skinny kid named Forsberg was at same age and things seemed to work out for that kid coming to North America (in a much "heavier" time in the game too). Pettersson is probably ready now. An extremely exciting player.

Reactions: Index

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I figured he'd be given a chance in the AHL first to adjust. But, you are probably right. Canucks probably should go ahead and give him a shot to make the NHL team. How is his 2-way game? I thought I heard that he is not good defensively at all

His 2 way game is pretty solid. He was on the ice for 12 goals against all season and leads the league in +/-.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He has the intelligence to be adequate defensively (good length and positioning) but his strength holds him back, and will be amplified in the NHL. My guess is the Canucks will keep his even strength minutes low and sheltered (playing with defensively responsible players) so that he can slowly begin to grasp the speed and physicality of the game with lots of powerplay time to give him confidence in offense.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Why the hell would he go to the AHL??

*Elias Pettersson has just shattered Wayne Gretzky's rookie season record*

"I think he should go to the AHL next year to gain weight and learn the small rink"

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
My question is why was it changed now? They took an assist away. Other resources are still showing 54 points for Nilsson. EDIT: Unless SHL always had it at 53 and all other resources had it wrong. Which makes it more curious

SHL had it at 53 a month ago, when Pettersson was truly starting to chase it. That's when I first checked it. So SHL hasn't made any last minute change to the stat.

There's still a difference in Peter Forsberg's stats between SHL and Eliteprospects. Eliteprospects in showing 48 points when SHL has all along been showing 47 points. So Pettersson also passed Forsberg one point sooner than was thought here a while ago.

Reactions: Aqualung

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This size and weight stuff is getting way too much play, especially in today's NHL which is nowhere near as rough as in bygone decades. If Pettersson starts in the NHL next season he will be 14 months older than Wayne Gretzky was when he started. First-year Gretzky was quite possibly the skinniest, physically weakest NHL player I've ever seen and he tied for the scoring title that season. Why shouldn't Pettersson with an extra year of maturity be able to take a regular shift in the NHL, given that he is arguably the best forward in the SHL this season? His skill level will determine his future. Lack of size is more of an issue for defencemen and goalies, not nearly so much for forwards.
I think he'll be fine in the NHL, but "Gretzky did it under tougher conditions, why couldn't Petterson?" isn't very good reasoning, IMO.

Last edited:

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I'm glad people are starting to realize that skill & speed > size in todays NHL.

Pettersson will make some of you look like fools. Kid has heart.

Reactions: vanwest

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Kenta still have better PPG
Ok but Kent had 54 points playing in a much weaker/offensive SHL. Teams were scoring 5-8 goals a game 40 years ago.

Pettersson is doing it with an overall better quality league.

If Pettersson can add about 10 more pounds and play at 180lbs, no way he DOESN'T make the NHL. He definitely has the height, just needs to max out. I can see him starting off as a winger alongside Horvat and Boeser.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I think he'll be fine in the NHL, but "Gretzky did it under tougher conditions, why couldn't Petterson?" isn't a very good argument, IMO.

I think it's an entirely reasonable argument. Obviously Gretzky was a different calibre of player but there are a lot of similarities in their style of play and their physical build. When Gretzky was about to join the NHL at age 18 there were plenty of people who said that he would have trouble because he was supposedly too small and weak.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Hope Vancouver can get Dahlin or Svechnikov so they can get a future big 3 like Winnipeg(Laine, Ehlers, Scheifele), Toronto(Matthews, Marner, Nylander) and Edmonton(Draistaitl, Puljujarvi[even though he’s not quite there yet], McDavid).

Pettersson, Boeser + a Dahlin/Svechnikov would be really nice to see in Vancouver as Pettersson has proved he’s the best Prospect in the world right now...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Crazy how much he has blown up. Thought incredibly high of him at draft time but his trajectory has been historic. Intrigued what he can do on the smaller ice, I don't think the adjustment period is all that bad for forwards coming over (vs defenders).

If Vancouver get one of the big 3, or ideally big 2, this draft....watch out

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

"I think he should go to the AHL next year to gain weight and learn the small rink"
*Kent Nelson

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it's an entirely reasonable argument. Obviously Gretzky was a different calibre of player but there are a lot of similarities in their style of play and their physical build. When Gretzky was about to join the NHL at age 18 there were plenty of people who said that he would have trouble because he was supposedly too small and weak.
Yes, but Gretzky is also able to do things leaps and bounds beyond any other player in history can even dream of. It isn't reasonable to assume or suggest that other players (even fantastically promising ones) will be able to make similar adjustments to what he can, even if you scale it down a accordingly.

The validity of that kind of argument basically hinges on Petterson having scaled down but still Gretzky-like IQ. It's just a bad example.

Gretzky is an example of why it's technically possible, but it's not an example of why it's realistically within reach for Pettersson (and for the record, I think it is within reach). Gaudreau probably would be.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
People who think this player shouldn’t be in the NHL next year are insane he just had one of the best draft + 1 seasons in Europe in the last 20 years.

This guy can step into a NHL teams top 6 right now and be effective.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Hope Vancouver can get Dahlin or Svechnikov so they can get a future big 3 like Winnipeg(Laine, Ehlers, Scheifele), Toronto(Matthews, Marner, Nylander) and Edmonton(Draistaitl, Puljujarvi[even though he’s not quite there yet], McDavid).

Pettersson, Boeser + a Dahlin/Svechnikov would be really nice to see in Vancouver as Pettersson has proved he’s the best Prospect in the world right now...

how about Wahlstrom? I think that would be a better trio with Wahlstrom.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
898989.jpg

#7 Markus Näslund - Lindsay Award
#5 D. Sedin - Art Ross
#4 H. Sedin - Art Ross
#3 Peter Forsberg - Art Ross
#2 Kent Nilsson - Would have Art Ross if not for one Wayne Gretzky and one Marcel Dionne
#1 Elias Pettersson - "Not elite. 70 point player"

Reactions: Love and Index

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008

Pettersson is actually arguably elite defensively. Last I heard he's been on the ice for 12 goals against all season. He's incredibly adept at reading the play and causing turnovers in the offensive zone and through the neutral zone and you'll continually see him block shots and making the right play in the defensive zone, he has the smarts and the work ethic to be an elite defensive forward to go along with his offensive capabilities.

Why not say size? If Pettersson comes into camp next year and say only put on 5 pounds over the summer. Would it be in the Canucks best interest to risk injury to Pettersson while he obviously still has a lot of filling out to do? We're not talking about a Gaudreau or Kane who are short and are absolutely elite with their elusiveness and edgework or an Ehlers who is an absolutely incredible skater. Pettersson doesn't have the same skating abilities as the other small players in the league so he's not comparable. There is a major potential for him to get injured if he isn't strong enough yet and the Canucks aren't in any hurry to get him into the lineup to be competing for the playoffs.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Crazy how much he has blown up. Thought incredibly high of him at draft time but his trajectory has been historic. Intrigued what he can do on the smaller ice, I don't think the adjustment period is all that bad for forwards coming over (vs defenders).

If Vancouver get one of the big 3, or ideally big 2, this draft....watch out

Even without the lottery pick, the Canucks have an already impressive core of players to build on (Horvat/Petersson/Gaudette/Lind/Horvat/Demko/Joulevi)

but you're right, adding Razmoos Dahlin or Zadina would just fantastic! Easily more firepower than the 2011 team.

and i really like the supporting cast of Virtanen, Liepsic, Beartschi, Granlund and Goldobin :thumbu:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

As long as you're not being unrealistic or anything...

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yes, but Gretzky is also able to do things leaps and bounds beyond any other player in history. It isn't reasonable to assume or suggest that other players (even fantastically promising ones) will be able to make similar adjustments to what he can, even if you scale it down a accordingly.

The validity of that kind of argument basically hinges on Petterson having scaled down but still Gretzky-like IQ. It's just a bad example.

No, it would only be a bad example by expecting him to produce at Gretzky levels. Which nobody expects because he has never been nearly as dominant at any stage as Gretzky.

The comment was related to size and strength limitations-- which didn't stop Gretzky from being utterly historic in the NHL just as he was utterly historic at every previous level, and won't stop Pettersson from being a very good player in the NHL.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014

Dahlin is still best prospect in the world

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You didn't. You wanted glass.

898989.jpg

#7 Markus Näslund - Lindsay Award
#5 D. Sedin - Art Ross
#4 H. Sedin - Art Ross
#3 Peter Forsberg - Art Ross
#2 Kent Nilsson - Would have Art Ross if not for one Wayne Gretzky and one Marcel Dionne
#1 Elias Pettersson - "Not elite. 70 point player"

2002-03 NHL Leaders | Hockey-Reference.com

Naslund finshed 2nd in goals and points in 2003. losing out to 2 Avalanche players in both categories apparently on the last game of the season.

If he played with an average 1st line player instead of Brenden Morrison he would have easily won both trophies in that year.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Who is he playing with in SHL?
If you account for the games he’s missed, he’d be on pace to finish 25 points ahead of the 2nd leading scorer on his team.

The season he’s had is rare at any level. It’s hard to explain. Normally, you’d look at linemates carrying him or something like that...but there’s nothing like that.

He had a great season in SWE-1 last year as a rookie, with 41points...he will probably end up surpassing that, jumping up a league, by 20 points. No one saw that coming.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Really excited. Can’t wait for next season. Especially since Boeser is done. Can’t wait for this season to be over.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Seeing someone you have met once in a while since he was a kid go out there and break records is kind of crazy.
Imagine if Vancouver gets lucky and drafts Dahlin as well... scary good young group of players

even if we add Zadikhov , or any of the players ranked in the top 10 they will be a scary team due to Benning stock piling the teams prospects pool with this later picks, like Lockwood, Gaudette, Lind, Gajovich, the list goes on, wow are the Canucks ever stacked in prospects pool anyone want to create a poll on this? i truly think we have the best prospects in the NHL.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

lawrence

May 19, 2012
LOL the comments in this thread are pathetic. Pure jelousy.

beats a 40+ year old record and dominates a pro league as a rookie teenager, and people can' give the kid props.

first it was, "he's playing in a leauge that was not as good as it was 10 years ago so easier to get points"

false : scoring is down means harder to get points

then it's

"his team has crazy corsi" (not sure wtf this means, he has 15 more points then the next player on his team while playing 8 less games)
false seems like this hater meant to say he's being carried by his team, sure as hell don't look like it.
tells his team to hold hold his beer while he competes for a gold medal at the wjc, misses 7 games sets a record, lol.

Do people really doubt he'll play in the NHL next year? It really seeems like he should be the Calder favorite right now next year. Putting up .5 ppg as a 19 year in t

Vaxjo GM believes he's NHL ready.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He didn't even made it to the olympic roster where there were no NHLers. I am not arguing he shouldn't be there, but it would seem odd that they pick him this time around with higher competition for the spots.

called it the 1st time, when he was left off Swedens Roster I knew Sweden was not going to win any medals.

if they make the same mistake again I'm gonna laugh at em and they will probably not win anything again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->