C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When you are winning a game by 8 goals, the amount of points somebody gets sort of becomes meaningless

Strome did nothing to help his team? At least you are transparent about your irrationality.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Strome did nothing to help his team? At least you are transparent about your irrationality.

How many pts does he have in the tournament now. Haven't seen him play but his stats in the playoffs were pretty good this year and has sounding like he's dom8nating the mem cup. How nhl ready do you think he is right now?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How many pts does he have in the tournament now. Haven't seen him play but his stats in the playoffs were pretty good this year and has sounding like he's dom8nating the mem cup. How nhl ready do you think he is right now?

8 in two games.

He's ready, he just needs an NHL coach that's patient about his playing style.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's the Memorial Cup, how is it not a big game. Coming into this tournament Saint John and Erie were the favorites.

I would consider a big game when something is not on the line. Erie could have lost this game and beat Windsor and still finish first place in the tournament so the importance of this game is not the same as a game where everything is on the line

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would consider a big game when something is not on the line. Erie could have lost this game and beat Windsor and still finish first place in the tournament so the importance of this game is not the same as a game where everything is on the line

That's terrible logic. Every game is extremely meaningful in this tournament since it is so short. I have not been a huge defender of Strome in the past but he has been terrific for Erie in this season's playoff run and it continued to show tonight.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know this comparison has been made before, but Strome and Joe Thornton do share some similarities. One of them is they produce. I would not have a problem if Strome becomes this generation's Thornton, with the obvious caveat of one thing. Winning a cup. But I see this for him in the NHL also, he will just find a way to put up respectable numbers.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I know this comparison has been made before, but Strome and Joe Thornton do share some similarities. One of them is they produce. I would not have a problem if Strome becomes this generation's Thornton, with the obvious caveat of one thing. Winning a cup. But I see this for him in the NHL also, he will just find a way to put up respectable numbers.

He's more like Jason Allison than Thornton

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
8 in two games.

He's ready, he just needs an NHL coach that's patient about his playing style.

Nice, is tipper that coach? The yotes have a lot of talent coming up. Dvorak is a center I'm pretty sure so he allows for strome to be eased in and I personally think that Keller has a chance of being the best player from the 2016 draft class if all goes right for him and he could be playing center. Strome should have a lot of support and talent to play with. Only problem is I've read from some Arizona posters that tippett is ruining the team and holding them back from achieving success.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Now for Arizona to hire Knoblach for the vacant coaching spot on the team AND sign the undrafted Raddysh.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nice, is tipper that coach? The yotes have a lot of talent coming up. Dvorak is a center I'm pretty sure so he allows for strome to be eased in and I personally think that Keller has a chance of being the best player from the 2016 draft class if all goes right for him and he could be playing center. Strome should have a lot of support and talent to play with. Only problem is I've read from some Arizona posters that tippett is ruining the team and holding them back from achieving success.

Tippett has a hard time putting up with offense first players. He'll bench/scratch at the first missed defensive assignment. It's really ridiculous. He gets in the heads of players in a negative way, like Duclair. Dvorak played better as soon as injuries and trades cleared the way for him, he was previously getting 9 minutes a night from Tippett. He's also content to play a guy like Crouse as a 4th liner rather than sending him back to junior. He simply sucks at integrating youth and is always clawing away to get wins in the present, future be damned.

Couple that with his plodding, boring, simple hockey that discourages all risks and you get a pretty narrow section of players that can succeed under him. The game has changed significantly since 2009 but Tippett hasn't. If you compare him to coaches that have been fired, humbled, and come back stronger for it, he's really lacking. If you look at how upbeat Babcock is with Toronto and how that team plays, AZ is the polar opposite. Tippett doesn't even have the veterans ready to go most nights. He has gone completely stale. The only thing keeping him in AZ is his absurdly expensive contract. His buddy in ownership that gave it to him (in the process of backstabbing Don Maloney, who at that point had executed a great rebuild) is being bought out so we'll see how long he lasts next year. Keller and Strome will be huge tests.

Dylan Strome got a handful of non-continuous games with random linemates last year. He needed better skating and strength but it was still a joke of an evaluation period. I hope that doesn't repeat itself next season. He looks like a much improved player, so at least being sent back worked out for him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

So you're saying that only elimination games are big games? Good grief.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
boredmale is an Islanders fan who MIGHT be feeling a little bit of a sting at Seattle's very poor performance and Erie's history making dominance thus far. SOME Isles fans were really relishing the idea that Barzal could be the steal of the draft and Strome could be the bust of the draft. It can be hard to see cherished narratives in jeopardy.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
boredmale is an Islanders fan who MIGHT be feeling a little bit of a sting at Seattle's very poor performance and Erie's history making dominance thus far. SOME Isles fans were really relishing the idea that Barzal could be the steal of the draft and Strome could be the bust of the draft. It can be hard to see cherished narratives in jeopardy.

MIGHT? I think you mean obviously.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I have been a Strome supporter for awhile when other people trash him, I am just pointing out scoring alot of points in a blowout(which I pointed out has minimal implications for the way Erie will be seated in the round robin portion of the tournament) really doesn't scream "clutch" although it is quite impressive none the less. I never seen one Islanders fan actively root against Strome to bust either

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
...I personally think that Keller has a chance of being the best player from the 2016 draft class if all goes right for him...
Considering your avatar I don't see how you could possibly believe that. I would love for you to be correct but even if all goes well for Keller there's no chance in hell he ends up better than Laine much less Matthews.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
When you are winning a game by 8 goals, the amount of points somebody gets sort of becomes meaningless

Why 8? Just stop counting points after the GWG if you want to follow that logic to its conclusion. If you win 4-2 isn't that 4th goal sort of meaningless? Ironically, only "bad players" have a chance for a really high % of meaningful points since if you're a 100+ point player your probably going to be blowing teams out since you keep scoring.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tippett has a hard time putting up with offense first players. He'll bench/scratch at the first missed defensive assignment. It's really ridiculous. He gets in the heads of players in a negative way, like Duclair. Dvorak played better as soon as injuries and trades cleared the way for him, he was previously getting 9 minutes a night from Tippett. He's also content to play a guy like Crouse as a 4th liner rather than sending him back to junior. He simply sucks at integrating youth and is always clawing away to get wins in the present, future be damned.

Couple that with his plodding, boring, simple hockey that discourages all risks and you get a pretty narrow section of players that can succeed under him. The game has changed significantly since 2009 but Tippett hasn't. If you compare him to coaches that have been fired, humbled, and come back stronger for it, he's really lacking. If you look at how upbeat Babcock is with Toronto and how that team plays, AZ is the polar opposite. Tippett doesn't even have the veterans ready to go most nights. He has gone completely stale. The only thing keeping him in AZ is his absurdly expensive contract. His buddy in ownership that gave it to him (in the process of backstabbing Don Maloney, who at that point had executed a great rebuild) is being bought out so we'll see how long he lasts next year. Keller and Strome will be huge tests.

Dylan Strome got a handful of non-continuous games with random linemates last year. He needed better skating and strength but it was still a joke of an evaluation period. I hope that doesn't repeat itself next season. He looks like a much improved player, so at least being sent back worked out for him.

Put it this way, in terms of style Erie looks the exact opposite of a Tippett-coached team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A record breaking 7 points in a Memorial Cup game against a league champion by any standard is pretty impressive. Strome deserves the acknowledgment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->