C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He measured exactly 6'3 at the combine in 2015. He also seems to be listed at 6'3 most places (elite, nhl.com, ohl).

Still looks way smaller to me on the ice. Probably his skating posture. I feel like he hunches his shoulders inward and it makes him look 5'11.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Strome should develop into a fine 1C. The coyotes are not in any rush so I don't have a problem with them easing Strome along. He'll likely make the opening night roster or at the very least be the first callup. The only reason he is getting picked apart is because Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel went ahead of him and Mitch Marner went right after him and is having an excellent rookie season. In a vacuum Strome is doing just fine. Strome is the perfect example of being too good for the OHL but unable to play in the AHL. I think the league needs to add an exception for certain players who should be in the AHL prior to turning 20.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he can clean up 3 things then he should be able to be an impact player next year. Primary focus for him should be improving his skating, particularly his acceleration. On top of that, he needs to get noticeably stronger. He'll never be an elite skater, so getting stronger so he can hold on to the puck longer to buy time for a shot or pass will be very important. He's a tall guy, but he hasn't really filled out. Finally, he needs to improve his release. His shot is great in regards to power and accuracy, but he telegraphs his wrist shots too much. He's a good kid and he works hard, I hope for his and Arizona's sake that he can make these improvements.

You hit the nail on the head.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Strome should develop into a fine 1C. The coyotes are not in any rush so I don't have a problem with them easing Strome along. He'll likely make the opening night roster or at the very least be the first callup. The only reason he is getting picked apart is because Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel went ahead of him and Mitch Marner went right after him and is having an excellent rookie season. In a vacuum Strome is doing just fine. Strome is the perfect example of being too good for the OHL but unable to play in the AHL. I think the league needs to add an exception for certain players who should be in the AHL prior to turning 20.
Totally agree, most CHLers have to spend 2 post draft seasons in the CHL, which is fine for the majority of them, but for other guys there's a clear wasted year or two. Strome is definitely in that "tweener" category, too good to learn much in the CHL, not good enough to make the NHL just yet.

Re: "Strome should develop into a fine 1C", not sure I agree. 1Cs are a rare breed, only the best of the best get there. I think Strome has a chance, for sure, but I'd guess he'll be more of a 2C. He's got high hockey IQ, good hands and a very hard/accurate shot, but is mediocre in a lot of other areas. He's not particularly strong, he's an average skater, the release on his shot is slow, and his compete level and defensive game is just so-so. He's certainly a very good prospect, and a dominant player at the CHL level, but I'm not sure I see him being a good 1C at the NHL level. He may play some 1C, but I don't think he'll be a good one, more of a natural 2C who might fill that role at times (kind of a toss up for how Dvorak vs. Strome vs. Keller will shake out, and Keller could possibly end up on the wing).

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Strome's shot release varies depending on situation. He leans on wrist shot a lot to throw off goalies. I don't see his shot as a problem. Strength and intensity are the issues for me. He can fix the former, time will tell on the latter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think he is going to surprise some people next year when he is a rookie. He is almost forgotten this year in terms of the 2015 draft class of great prospects. I'm expecting a great rookie season from him. Wouldn't be shocked at all.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
not really usefull i saw a lot of player who played less than 30 games in that list

All 5 of them that are ahead of Strome and had under 30 games? and those 5 being Quinn, Lindros, Allison, Andreychuk and Spezza who are pretty safe bets to say they would likely have continued their production or close to it.

But i agree it's not a useful way to judge a player, i was just correcting the guy that said Strome only had 15 guys average 2.21 PPG before him

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, you guys are right. He should be getting at least 3PPG.:sarcasm::shakehead

McDavid in draft year was 2.55 PPG, Strome at D+2 should be better than 2.21 IMO. He should be a better junior player than an 17-18 yr old McDavid at this age.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
McDavid in draft year was 2.55 PPG, Strome at D+2 should be better than 2.21 IMO. He should be a better junior player than an 17-18 yr old McDavid at this age.

No player should ever have to compare with McDavids 17-18 season....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tavares never got past 2ppg. Strome's numbers are fine for what he is. The only other player in recent memory to get anywhere near McDavid's is Patrick Kane. I don't think we should expect anyone to put up McDavid like numbers in the OHL. McDavid was a ppg player as an 18-year-old and is a top 5 forward (being conservative) at 19. I don't think anyone even expects Strome to be a 60 point player in the NHL next year, so I don't know why you'd expect him to have numbers better than McDavid in juniors.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
How has he played in the playoffs so far? He has 21 points in 15 games, but isn't in the top 5 in playoff scoring. Do you guys think he not meeting expectation?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How has he played in the playoffs so far? He has 21 points in 15 games, but isn't in the top 5 in playoff scoring. Do you guys think he not meeting expectation?

He had the flu in the first series against London. He is playing alright in the second. He hasn't dominated, but he hasn't been bad. Just doing his cerebral center thing. Absolutely brilliant with the puck, kind of rough and floaty away from it.

He's at least winning faceoffs for Erie. And the team winning is what I want to see, as Strome racking up points is not necessarily an indicator that he's playing as he should.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I see him being the player who manages to stay in the NHL producing or not. Though I think he'll average 50 points a season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Erie wins the OHL title, Strome assisting on a game tying goal as the extra attacker and on the OT winner. Pretty happy with his play overall. Skating looks improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad