C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
and leaf fans and toronto media
The Leaf media doesn't really bash him heavily. Button was defending him pretty heavily on Overdrive yesterday.

I'd say his lackluster 8 NHL games, combined with a very disappointing WJC in most people's eyes has hurt his stock. Another significant factor is he hasn't improved his main weakness significantly.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd say his lackluster 8 NHL games, combined with a very disappointing WJC in most people's eyes has hurt his stock. Another significant factor is he hasn't improved his main weakness significantly.

His 8 games weren't on him. They weren't consecutive, he didn't get skilled linmates for the most part, and the Coyotes were absolutely abysmal at the time. It takes quite a bit to play center for Dave Tippett, and his overall style doesn't lend itself well to having an immediate impact regardless of other factors.

He's about on the pace I expected in Eerie. He needs to keep it up and have a strong showing for Eerie in the postseason.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That is still first line production in today's NHL. He may be a little late to the NHL but he's still a capable player. That release is filthy.

The shot is filthy, the release is near awful.
Agreed with BeSeeingYouSeattle he projects where he is going to shoot it way too much. He has way too much load time. This works in junior but kills valuable nano-seconds at the NHL level which allows d to poke it away or a goalie to get in front of it.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
I watched him play against the London Knights last season I believe.

He had no fight, London took runs at him all game long, he simply quit/didn't care. Erie was getting their ***** kicked. Marner had some **** and vinegar about him, I was 100% wrong about him (Marner). Strome is soft in the OHL...Can't be soft in the NHL when some grown ass man is trying to feed his kids with his wife's fake ****...

Seriously though, every pro sports league statistically has a bust every draft. Statistically one of the 2015 draft won't pan out...SO...let's take a look

1 Connor McDavid (C)
2 Jack Eichel (C)
3 Dylan Strome (C)
4 Mitchell Marner (C/RW)
5 Noah Hanifin (D)
6 Pavel Zacha (C)
7 Ivan Provorov (D)
8 Zach Werenski (D)
9 Timo Meier (RW)
10 Mikko Rantanen (RW)
11 Lawson Crouse (LW)
17 Kyle Connor (LW)
24 Travis Konecny (C)
28 Anthony Beauvillier (LW)
35 Sebastian Aho (LW)
37 Brandon Carlo (D)

So who is it going to be? Because right now it's Strome...

I know **** happens, and blah blah blah but I personally watched him live, and he just didn't care/had no fight to him. None at all...Well when it comes time to play LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal and their GM are trying to get tougher/grittier will Strome want to compete/play hard/not ***** up for 82 games?

For the record I was 110% wrong about Marner. I watched him slash a player who hit him in the corner in the same game I watched Strome get hit behind the net and does nothing. All game long, Strome just took it like a lil *****.

Someone in the top 11 statistically has to flame out...Right now, at this point in time it is Strome.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
The Leaf media doesn't really bash him heavily. Button was defending him pretty heavily on Overdrive yesterday.

So, tying for the team lead in points and tying for 4th in tournament scoring is a very disappointing WJC?

What would you have called Marner's WJC last year? The most disappointing WJC ever?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, tying for the team lead in points and tying for 4th in tournament scoring is a very disappointing WJC?

What would you have called Marner's WJC last year? The most disappointing WJC ever?
His point total was fueled in blowouts and on the PP. He didn't step up when mattered and was the captain of the team. People who actually watched him and didn't box-score scout left disappointed.

Gotta love how you think this is some bias I have against Strome due to him constantly compared to Marner, just like I supposedly had a bias against Canucks prospects for telling you that Will Lockwood was far from a lock and most likely a longshot to make the American WJC team. I've been more than fair to Strome, and I think most Coyotes fans would tell you that.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario

His point total was fueled in blowouts and on the PP. He didn't step up when mattered and was the captain of the team. People who actually watched him and didn't box-score scout left disappointed.

Gotta love how you think this is some bias I have against Strome due to him constantly compared to Marner, just like I supposedly had a bias against Canucks prospects for telling you that Will Lockwood was far from a lock and most likely a longshot to make the American WJC team. I've been more than fair to Strome, and I think most Coyotes fans would tell you that.

I said it last year, watch Jesse Poolparty's WJC highlights, no backhand and a lot of points off of goals because 18 year old goalies were out of position. Production is a vacuum, Jonus Hoglund playing with Mats Sundin (You never knew what he was going to do, go top shelf, bottom shelf, glove side, stick side) is a good example. Stat sheet says he's scoring 29 goals. Reality is Mats Sundin is THAT good that anyone who plays with him is putting up numbers. That comes from a cold spot in my heart, I hated the leafs growing up, I had to swallow my pride watching Sundin drag his team into a playoff race. I as my username indicates am a Lindros homer...Sundin is soft as baby **** but I am not blind. Sundin is the ONLY reason Hoglund scores 20 goals in the NHL.

Marner is Calder discussion, Strome is OHL...Same draft year, black and white/cut and dry....Strome is the bigger, more athletic prospect on the ******** team....send back down to the OHL. Marner plays on the #1 PP in the NHL...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Marner is Calder discussion, Strome is OHL...Same draft year, black and white/cut and dry....Strome is the bigger, more athletic prospect on the ******** team....send back down to the OHL. Marner plays on the #1 PP in the NHL...

While Marner has been lights out and has erased any doubts about his ability to translate his dominant junior game (on a stacked OHL team) to the NHL it is waaaaaay premature to draw conclusions from Strome playing in the OHL an extra year.

Yes, Strome needs some development but he has immense upside.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
He reminds me of Joe Colborne. A big center that lacks intensity. I realize Strome has more skill/vision, but I don't know if that will translate to the big leagues.

This is a pretty good comparison. I just don't think Strome will make an impact in the NHL, and most likely will be a 3C on a good team. If Strome can be anything like Jordan Staal I will be impressed.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Bump: saw his numbers
Strome GP:29 G:21 A:47 PTS:68

His numbers dont seem anything special, he really needs to beAHL though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bump: saw his numbers
Strome GP:29 G:21 A:47 PTS:68

His numbers dont seem anything special, he really needs to beAHL though.
Huh? While it is not a good sign he had to spend his 19 year old season in the OHL, those numbers are absolutely insane. The only players with a higher ppg in the 2000's are McDavid (17-year-old season, draft season), Kane (18-year-old season, draft season) and Schremp (19-year-old season, draft+2). While Schremp who busted is his closest comparable, Strome had more offensive success at a younger age. Plus, there are a bunch of 19-year-olds in OHL history who trailed those numbers and became good NHLers. This includes Corey Perry, Trochek, Scheifele, Saad, Kadri, Bobby Ryan, Derek Roy, Toffoli, etc. Now, there are a bunch of guys in that same point range I looked through who amounted to nothing at the NHL level, but I'd say having the 4th highest ppg in the OHL in the past 17 years around players 19 and younger is pretty special.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Huh? While it is not a good sign he had to spend his 19 year old season in the OHL, those numbers are absolutely insane. The only players with a higher ppg in the 2000's are McDavid (17-year-old season, draft season), Kane (18-year-old season, draft season) and Schremp (19-year-old season, draft+2). While Schremp who busted is his closest comparable, Strome had more offensive success at a younger age. Plus, there are a bunch of 19-year-olds in OHL history who trailed those numbers and became good NHLers. This includes Corey Perry, Trochek, Scheifele, Saad, Kadri, Bobby Ryan, Derek Roy, Toffoli, etc. Now, there are a bunch of guys in that same point range I looked through who amounted to nothing at the NHL level, but I'd say having the 4th highest ppg in the OHL in the past 17 years around players 19 and younger is pretty special.

fair enough tbh I just thought it would be higher

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I watched him play against the London Knights last season I believe.

He had no fight, London took runs at him all game long, he simply quit/didn't care. Erie was getting their ***** kicked. Marner had some **** and vinegar about him, I was 100% wrong about him (Marner). Strome is soft in the OHL...Can't be soft in the NHL when some grown ass man is trying to feed his kids with his wife's fake ****...

Seriously though, every pro sports league statistically has a bust every draft. Statistically one of the 2015 draft won't pan out...SO...let's take a look

1 Connor McDavid (C)
2 Jack Eichel (C)
3 Dylan Strome (C)
4 Mitchell Marner (C/RW)
5 Noah Hanifin (D)
6 Pavel Zacha (C)
7 Ivan Provorov (D)
8 Zach Werenski (D)
9 Timo Meier (RW)
10 Mikko Rantanen (RW)
11 Lawson Crouse (LW)
17 Kyle Connor (LW)
24 Travis Konecny (C)
28 Anthony Beauvillier (LW)
35 Sebastian Aho (LW)
37 Brandon Carlo (D)

So who is it going to be? Because right now it's Strome...

I know **** happens, and blah blah blah but I personally watched him live, and he just didn't care/had no fight to him. None at all...Well when it comes time to play LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal and their GM are trying to get tougher/grittier will Strome want to compete/play hard/not ***** up for 82 games?

For the record I was 110% wrong about Marner. I watched him slash a player who hit him in the corner in the same game I watched Strome get hit behind the net and does nothing. All game long, Strome just took it like a lil *****.

Someone in the top 11 statistically has to flame out...Right now, at this point in time it is Strome.

That's not how it works. If I flip a coin heads 10 times in a row the 11th flip is still 50/50.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I get your point but that's actually exactly opposite how statistics works.

It's exactly how statistics works, if perhaps the opposite of how many people think they work.

Strome's outlook is almost entirely independent of the success or failure of others in his draft class. If Mitch Marner breaks his femur or Pavel Zacha stops developing or Jack Eichel gets the yips, that's not going to improve the likelihood of Strome becoming a productive NHL player.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
People don't think 68 points in 29 games is impressive? That's a ridiculous stat line. Reminds me of watching Schremp rip up the OHL. I think Strome has way more pro tools than Schremp.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
The hate for Strome is honestly laughable. Some how he is already a bust before he's even eligible for the AHL. Anyone who knew anything about Strome knew he was a project. And for those of you expecting more then 2.35ppg... cmon. I honestly think most of you guys are just trolling. Big centers have always taken time to develop. Stroke is gonna be an excellent NHL player some day, luckily the Yotes have been patient not to rush him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->