C Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th, BUF) II

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
[Mod NOTE: Continued from here]

Fair enough about kids needing to grow up. However I would point out that there is an enormous difference between Nylander playing in the SHL and Mittelstadt playing USHS. My issue is really not that Mittelstadt decided to play high school hockey with his friends. His decision to play high school is just one piece in what I see as pattern of immaturity with him that I find worrisome.

The kid undeniably has skill and potential to be a very good NHL player...just not sure I would risk a high (top 10) pick on him. :dunno:

Immature is getting into trouble off the ice, puck hogging, acting entitled, warring with coaches and teammates, being rude or cocky in front of others.

Patrik Laine flipped his coach the bird.

There is nothing "immature" about spending half a season in HS for the sole reason of winning a title. He didnt blow off the USHL. He honored his commitment to the Gamblers and single-handely carried them to within a point of the playoffs. All he does is acknowledge his teammates, even if he's clearly the guy carrying his team.

Every coach he's had speaks glowingly of his leadership, selflessness and his tireless work towards being a better hockey player.

Calling Mittelstadt "immature" is a knee jerk reaction to the pull-up nonsense. Nobody ever questioned it before. Just straw clutching in the boring pre-draft month when there isnt hockey to be played.

Mittelstadt is a gamer. Plays hurt, tired. You get the same effort every shift. Doesnt sound like an "immature" kid to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He is bigger than 6' as he was listed in the draft when picked.

I saw him at the State Tournament live and he's a big kid.

As far as staying here to play high school hockey, the biggest drawback would be lack of games, not necessarily the competition.

The team they lost to in the semis (Grand Rapids) had at least three division I players on that team.

I really hope he does good. It's hard to say. His weight lifting (or lack thereof) is odd and Housley more than any other coach in the league can relate to Minnesota hockey and the state tourney (although it's different today than when Housley in the late 70s lol).

It made me proud of him to say to hell with everyone (even his folks) to come back to play for a state championship again. I (like most hockey players in this state) would have given a testicle just to have qualified for state when I was in school 15 years ago. :(

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Immature is getting into trouble off the ice, puck hogging, acting entitled, warring with coaches and teammates, being rude or cocky in front of others.

There is nothing "immature" about spending half a season in HS for the sole reason of winning a title. He didnt blow off the USHL. He honored his commitment to the Gamblers and single-handely carried them to within a point of the playoffs. All he does is acknowledge his teammates, even if he's clearly the guy carrying his team.

Every coach he's had speaks glowingly of his leadership, selflessness and his tireless work towards being a better hockey player.

Calling Mittelstadt "immature" is a knee jerk reaction to the pull-up nonsense. Nobody ever questioned it before. Just straw clutching in the boring pre-draft month when there isnt hockey to be played.

Mittelstadt is a gamer. Plays hurt, tired. You get the same effort every shift. Doesnt sound like an "immature" kid to me.

Good post. I have no idea how he's going to pan out but I'm sure how he did with the bench press and pullups in the combine will have no impact on his NHL career.

The more I read about the kid, the more I like him. Our former GM always said that he wanted to draft hockey players, not atheletic people that play hockey. Casey appears to be a pure hockey player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Good info! I really liked this pick. For me he is low risk, high reward. Too much skill and ability to not be a good top 6 fwd. Sabres just have to wait until he is ready which in my opinion will be sooner than later. Botterill is off to a good start as GM.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds like a good player to go with Reinhart, actually.

Nylander-Eichel-ROR
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Baptiste

Could be a great top six in a few years.

I would not rule out Cliff Pu. I think he has an outside shot at the top 6. Certainly fits the bill of a potential solid 3rd line winger.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
RoR is one of the best faceoff guys in the league, wouldn't he slot at C before Reinhart does?

Wingers can take faceoffs.

But the answer to your question is 'maybe'. Reinhart's best assets are exemplified at center. I'm honestly surprised he's played as well as he has at wing. He shouldn't be there IMO. ROR had one of his best seasons playing wing in Colorado. So I would want to see Reinhart at center, but that doesn't mean it will/will not happen.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Wingers can take faceoffs.

But the answer to your question is 'maybe'. Reinhart's best assets are exemplified at center. I'm honestly surprised he's played as well as he has at wing. He shouldn't be there IMO. ROR had one of his best seasons playing wing in Colorado. So I would want to see Reinhart at center, but that doesn't mean it will/will not happen.

That's true.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Reilly and Skjei can skate pretty well, also. MN has always been known for some good skating, and Mittlestadt is a very good skater, but his hands are what are special. He reminds me of Kane in the way he plays with the puck and deceives defenders. You don't know if he's going to shoot or pass, and he is able to control the speed of the game just by how he handles the puck and moves his feet.

One old school name that could do a similar thing? Jean Beliveau.

Not saying Mittlestadt is the player that either of those two are, obviously, but the way he handles the puck reminds me of them.

Going to be a perfect fit with the Sabres. Love the combo of speed and hands.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
plus Okposo / Asplund #stacked

Yeah, don't want to get too off the topic here. But when Botterill and Housley were announced, I was very excited for Buffalo. It's a passionate sports town that has a rich hockey history. The Keybank Center should be rocking soon.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Yeah, don't want to get too off the topic here. But when Botterill and Housley were announced, I was very excited for Buffalo. It's a passionate sports town that has a rich hockey history. The Keybank Center should be rocking soon.

Hopefully. After 2 years of Bylsma, I honestly have no idea what this team is capable of.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I think it shows definite maturity myself. He knows life's priorities better than most, and knows that he only gets the high school experience with his friends once and wanted to make the most of it.

4-5 spots in the draft at worst is nothing in the grand scheme of life. The memories he just made with his friends that he grew up with will last a lifetime.

Yup totally agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I keep seeing certain posters drool of ROR at wing. The problem in that is its not reality. It won't happen.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Does Casey get an invite to the US Olympic team? If he has a strong start with the Gophers , I would think he does.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I think all the concerns about Casey are unwarrented. He will prove to be a great pick and will be a top centre in the NHL one day

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
My first thread to hit 1K. :)

Bring us a national championship in St. Paul next spring, Casey!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't see a style comparison at all... totally different types of players.

Mittelstadt plays with vision and smarts, he usually sees the ice better than anyone else on the ice when he plays.

He plays a very heady skilled game. Knows where players are going to be before they do etc.
Yup... I would say almost more like a Tarasenko or Tavares in terms of style. Hes fast but uses it to dart around the ice more than just used flat out speed.

His hands and poise stand out to me most.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It'll be crazy to see what he can do with a proper workout and diet rather than lake time and hot dish.

His NCAA season will tell a lot on his dedication to his body. If he doesn't put in some time in the gym he will be picking himself up off the ice regularly next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup... I would say almost more like a Tarasenko or Tavares in terms of style. Hes fast but uses it to dart around the ice more than just used flat out speed.

His hands and poise stand out to me most.

He looks nothing like Tarasenko to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad