C Anthony Cirelli - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2015, 72nd, TBL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Brock has him at 29th among OHL'ers:
29. Anthony Cirelli - Forward - Oshawa Generals
A tough guy for me to get a read on this year. When you're watching the Generals, he's not a guy that stands out because he's consistently had the opportunity to play with some fantastic players (like Michael Dal Colle). But he finds a way to reach the score sheet and do things to help his team win. His hockey sense is strong, as is his play away from the puck. I think the thing I have a tough time guaging is his offensive potential, because he doesn't play a ton with the puck on his stick. In 2008, I found it similarly difficult to gauge the potential of a young Windsor forward named Adam Henrique (because of the role he was asked to play). And he's turned out OK. Next year will certainly be telling for Cirelli.
[nhl]827931[/nhl]

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
He's doing fine. Lead his team in points and was given an ELC by Tampa for his efforts. Still needs to fill out a bit more and gain more strength but he's still only 18 so he has plenty of time to do that.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Having watched him through minor hockey and junior, I am quite certain he won't be a good pro player.

Others have proven me wrong though.

Reactions: hi

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Having watched him through minor hockey and junior, I am quite certain he won't be a good pro player.

Others have proven me wrong though.

He's had massive development since his draft, had a strong World Jr's in 2017 followed by a dominant playoff run last year, now leads Syracuse in scoring as a 1st year pro. Tampa called him up above some of the AHL vets and kid records a goal and an assist in his debut. Loving this pick so far.

Reactions: 99664987

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
does his progress make it easy for Tampa to move on from Johnson to save some cap?
We're at least a season away from making that decision I think, but I don't think Johnson moves. Frankly - Yzerman doesn't give seven year contracts to guys who he doesn't view as core, so I'm guessing that Johnson is here.

That being said - I think our cap crunch is a little over stated. Kucherov is on record saying he doesn't want to "break the bank", so I would expect a minor discount. We have some bad contracts either coming off or close to coming off (Carle's 1.8m dead cap hit has two more seasons, Callahan's 5.8m has two more seasons but may be movable now that he doesn't have an NMC, Coburn's contract is almost up as well). With the cap seemingly going up about 5m, I think getting Kucherov and Point won't be too hard. The question is whether we can find a way to fit in McDonagh as well long-term.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cirelli has 3G, 5A in 10 games, and is a +6 - no PP time. The past two games he's had over 16 minutes in ice time (pretty much max of what someone not named Stamkos, Kucherov, or Point get at forward).

Kid is an absolute gamer. What a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad