C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
33+39=72 this year at the JrC-level, in 28 games. 14+15=29 in the postseason, in nine games. What do you guys think:

1) Is he going straight to JrA next year as a 15-year-old?

2) Will Aleksi Saarela play at the U18 Worlds next year? He's going to be approximately 16 years and 4 months when the tournament starts.

I'd imagine he'll start with the B-juniors where "Pahi" will be the assistant coach (said he can't handle full time coaching duties due to him working 3-shift duty at Laitilan Wirvoitusjuomatehdas), I'd imagine if he thinks Aleksi is good enough to play with A-juniors, he'll play there.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
I think the level and amount of legit NHL prospects is growing in Finland. The fact that we're lacking the Crosbys and Ovechkins that the big boys have, makes us want a superstar so bad we try to convince ourselves that we might have one in our hands in every prospect.

Also the media here contributes to the hype significantly. Also there is the fact that a lot of people here don't really comprehend the skill level needed to be able to compete in the NHL and how talented all the players are there.

On Saarela, from what I've heard and based on his stats he definitely seems to have the talent to make it, but you never really know with kids this young as we've noticed with many prospects here. One thing about him worries me. I've read somewhere that he's freaky strong for his age/size which would give him quite the edge against other kids.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but as always we're hoping for the best.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
This is a bit off topic but here goes anyways.

I see where you are going on with this one but it's really hard to say. For me there seems to be something in the air pre 2010 draft and post, some might argue the effect has been there before and it is arguable and I might be wrong. A lot of nice prospects coming up, not sure if the youth system has been changed somehow because it was criticized previously of the mentality "everyone plays and gets equal chances" and we produced only fast grinders with no hands or creativity (now obviously the work towards this has started pre 2010 draft already).

Some exceptions before that with Rajala, Lindgren and some guys but even with them I did not really think they'd be able to be the top dogs in an NHL team. But time will tell, maybe we all will feel stupid +5 years on going forward and especially the history backs that down, but there has been some change indeed.

The future of Finnish hockey looked very dim 2007 for me but now I can see us getting a new generation of great talent keeping us in the medal fight in each big tournament. But then again, again, it's only human nature to create hope out of thin air. ;(

Then again us Finns are known for turning hope into thin air.. the glass is always half empty with us :D

On a serious note though I'm very excited about the prospects we have in the pipeline.. i'm sure some will bust but a few may also exceed excpectations.. when discussing prospects it is the potential we see.. I mean hell, even NHL scouts who do it for a living get it wrong alot of the time

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think you can compare the hype a player gets to an other player because it's always a different kid. I think the amount of busts, say drafted before 2010, can be explaned with the lack of talent. Very little top prospects -> you have to hype someone -> ends up a "bust". :)

If you look at the U18 team right now and compare it to some of the previous ones, the difference is huge. Finland is finally starting to produce more "top prospects". Corey Pronman(Hockey Prospectus) said on Twitter that he wouldn't be suprised if the entire Finnish U18-blueline would be drafted. To put it in perspective: only 1 Finnish d-men drafted in the last 13 drafts has played 200+ NHL-games (Pitkänen).

Just my 2¢.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On Saarela, from what I've heard and based on his stats he definitely seems to have the talent to make it, but you never really know with kids this young as we've noticed with many prospects here. One thing about him worries me. I've read somewhere that he's freaky strong for his age/size which would give him quite the edge against other kids.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but as always we're hoping for the best.

He's 178 cm, that's normal for his age.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
He's 178 cm, that's normal for his age.

I know he isn't very big, but physically developed and mature. Also that he is very strong, which really isn't a surprise considering his dad.

Being physically mature is different than being big and it also gives a certain advantage compared to others.

I know some people will take this the wrong way, but I'm in no way critisizing this kid, and I've heard a lot of good things. Just voicing my concerns and maybe someone more familiar with him can give more insight to this.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know he isn't very big, but physically developed and mature. Also that he is very strong, which really isn't a surprise considering his dad.

Being physically mature is different than being big and it also gives a certain advantage compared to others.

I know some people will take this the wrong way, but I'm in no way critisizing this kid, and I've heard a lot of good things. Just voicing my concerns and maybe someone more familiar with him can give more insight to this.

He's "only" 75 kilos, plenty of room to grow.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Season

When does hes season starts? someone who know if he have played anything and if he have what are hes stats? btw, Eliteprospects now have him listed at 85kilos, thats kinda heavy for a guy hes age and hight

Macman

May 15, 2004
Eliteprospects profile

He's a 97-born centre forward and in club competition he played against 96-born players. In 28 games he scored 103 points, 51 goals and 52 assists. He was the MVP and top scorer in his age group at the annual Pohjola camp, which gathers the top Finnish players.

He played at the World Selects Invitational's in Prague this week with a Finnish team and was the top scorer of the tournament. In 9 games he scored 26 points, 13 goals and 13 assists.

Some of the plays from that tournament:

He's not the most dynamic or exciting player, but he's smart, has pretty nice puck skills and has an exceptional wrister for his age. He's also a good two-way player. If things work out, he might become a similar youth star as Toni Rajala, Teemu Pulkkinen and Mikael Granlund were few years ago. At least he’s worth keeping an eye on.

He's got a hell of a backhand pass for someone that young.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
When does hes season starts? someone who know if he have played anything and if he have what are hes stats? btw, Eliteprospects now have him listed at 85kilos, thats kinda heavy for a guy hes age and hight

He played the first two games of the season with Lukko jr B team and scored 5 points. After that he hasn't played so I'm guessing some sort of injury?

His dad is very heavily built so I guess his weight is possible

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Ive heard of him in BC. Is he better than Barzal or supposed to be?
Well, that's probably because he came to BC to play for BWC.

I'd say he's probably not as good as Barzal, who was hyped for some time and lived up to it.
White has already been surpassed by some others, from what I've read.
He's still right up there as far as the WHL Bantam Draft is concerned, but there are better players than him in his home province.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Ive heard of him in BC. Is he better than Barzal or supposed to be?

Not at this point. Jaeger has been fighting injuries thou. Imop he is behind Tyler Benson as the best 98 forward from Alberta. The 98 group is very strong from Alberta you will be hearing alot about them in the coming years. Sorry for the ot in the thread about the young Finn player.

SauceHockey

Retired
Jun 6, 2011
p
Saarela looks pretty impressive hope he lives up to the hype that the people have watched him said

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
He has played 6 games as number 1 center for the Lukko Jr A team. 6 games 3+3. Guy is 15 years old and his opponents are 18-20 years old.
He also practiced once with the Lukko FEL-team. Hopefully he keeps up the good work :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad