C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I like Saarela as a prospect but just to play devil's advocate, Armia had better stats in the Finnish league at the same age. Not to mention that between the two of them, Saarela might have more initial struggles in the NHL due to his size.

Saarela has the strength to make up for the lack of size, something that Armia didn't have at the same age. I am not saying it can't become an issue but Saarela has qualities that bode well in terms of adjustment.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he made such a big impression at the camp that the Canes had no choice but to keep him for the season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Saarela doesn't have a bad slap shot.

At u-20s in december of last year, it was measured at 93 MPH.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
In a way I like him a lot as a player. He has a great wrister and onetimer. Kind of like poor man's Laine with his shot. He is also pretty good and fast skater and for his size he is really strong. But something makes me still quite uncertain of him. I think it is his passing game and hockey IQ in general that I'm not too impressed with. I have never understood why guys whom are not at all playmaker types would so much want to play as centers like Saarela. Well at least he is really good at faceoffs, so that is at least for his defence as a center.

Anyway in my opinion he is most probably not NHL ready. Especially now that Aho, Teräväinen and Bickell come as new players to the Canes, Saarela might find himself playing at least one more season in FEL. In my opinion he really needs to improve his passing and general hockey IQ.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Took me some time to figure out if he shot short side or glove side it was moving so fast. The net movement after the shot was my only clue.

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
Can I get an update? Haven't heard about him since Rangers fans being mad they traded him at the deadline.

He's playing at a horrible team, who are last in Liiga. He hasn't got much done by himself either. This might be an off-year for him. Lukko changed coach today so maybe he could get a new start to his season.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Seems to be playing better after a slow start with 5+2 in his last 10 games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's tough for us but he had the right to think of his career/development and stay in Finland.

Good to see him do well.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
He has been benched lately. Only has 11+10 in 43 games. Dude is a real primadonna he cries in an interview because he has defensive responsibilities http://kiekkoareena.fi/jutut/keskella-vai-laidassa-aleksi-saarelan-kaksi-eri-maailmaa

"– Jos katsot Sidney Crosbyn pelaamista puolustusalueella, niin ei se timanttia ole. Välillä tulee miinuksia, mutta ei sen koutsi varmaan edes välitä niistä. Se saa pyöriä keskikaistalla ja dominoida hyökkäyssuuntaan, Saarela latelee."

He says that Sidney Crosby's defensive game isn't always the best and he gets some minuses sometimes and that Crosby's coach doesn't even care about it. He says Crosby can go around the center "lane" and dominate the offensive zone..

No one would say Crosby is bad defensively.. well Saarela would lol just to make up excuses for his lackluster defensive game. Going back to Finland was the worst decision ever since it seems like Finnish coaches can't get him to play defense.

Last edited:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Once again, we see the consequences in moving from Ässät to Lukko. He was having a great year after the 2016 WJC's. Ended on a high note. Brutal. He'd be a 40+ point guy in different environment.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Once again, we see the consequences in moving from Ässät to Lukko. He was having a great year after the 2016 WJC's. Ended on a high note. Brutal. He'd be a 40+ point guy in different environment.

Yeah it was the transfer, not the mysterious injury and the following surgery that ended the good streak... Typical bitter Ässät fan.

Right now he is constantly forcing a game-breaking play and generating huge amount of turnovers. The frustration and lack of confidence makes him a liability in the offensive zone, and while the defensive zone really ain't his area of strenght, he needs to change something.

And not like the defensive play would be needed in the Canes as well. Peters, mr. Control-the-puck, surely appereciates players who do not want to stick in the system...

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Yeah it was the transfer, not the mysterious injury and the following surgery that ended the good streak... Typical bitter Ässät fan.

I'm not bitter on him, but more like feel bad for him. He's had injuries but he had them before also but managed to do at least okay.

Lets see if he can turn it around, he's a darkhorse prospect that not a whole lot of people know about.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
I'm not bitter on him, but more like feel bad for him. He's had injuries but he had them before also but managed to do at least okay.

Lets see if he can turn it around, he's a darkhorse prospect that not a whole lot of people know about.
You've got to admit though that if he really compared Crosby's defensive game to his recent poor outings, the kid has some kind of self-confidence issues. I see you guys talking about either his transfer or his injuries to explain it, and while I don't really follow the finnish circuit that much, the #1 quality a young player has to have in his toolbox in order to get better and make it as far as he can is dedication to the game, and from what I've read, he's looking for reasons to explain his recent performances, not aspects of his game to work on.

Just my two cents!

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
His defensive game is actually excelent when he is on top of his game. His recent slump seems to be more of an attitude issue than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad