C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
How good of a prospect do the Hurricanes have in Saarela?

I know Jesse Puljuarvi is 1.5 years younger & plays a completely different game than that ofSaarela. But here are their stat comparisons.

Jesse Puljuarvi - 50GP - 13 goals - 15 assists - 28pts (Played on a strong team in Karpat, and had Aho as a linemate)

Aleksi Saarela - 51GP - 20 goals - 13 assists- 33pts (Played on a pretty weak Assat squad)

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story here, and Puljaurvi is the better prospect. But wanted to know how good of a player everyone thinks Saarela is? Is he truly 1st round talent if there were to be a redraft?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

I know Jesse Puljuarvi is 1.5 years younger & plays a completely different game than that ofSaarela. But here are their stat comparisons.

Jesse Puljuarvi - 50GP - 13 goals - 15 assists - 28pts (Played on a strong team in Karpat, and had Aho as a linemate)

Aleksi Saarela - 51GP - 20 goals - 13 assists- 33pts (Played on a pretty weak Assat squad)

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story here, and Puljaurvi is the better prospect. But wanted to know how good of a player everyone thinks Saarela is? Is he truly 1st round talent if there were to be a redraft?

I admit I might be a tiniest bit biased towards him, then again, I have watched him very carefully. In my opinion he would be a mid-first (15-20) rounder in a redraft. I mean, he was pegged as a first round talent before the injuries sidetracked him for a while, but then this season he started producing like a first round talent again. I would be quite surprised if he didn't have a nice NHL career (barring injuries).

He is a versatile player who can play both as C and W, responsible defensively, pretty nice vision, and a killer shot. He is also a strong guy and doesn't play small in the least. I'd say that he is a useful guy pretty much everywhere in your lineup, but excels offensively. His main assets are his shot and hockey sense. I think he will play the next season in Finland and if all goes well, he'll join Aho in the Hurricanes in 2017.

In my opinion his ceiling is probably around 60 points in his prime, although I'm tempted to say a bigger number.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most underrated prospect in hockey. Canes fans should really do their research on him, he's not far off Aho. In that trade, you didn't get a throw in prospect, you got a 1st round level talent who should be playing in the NHL in 2017-18.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Most underrated prospect in hockey. Canes fans should really do their research on him, he's not far off Aho. In that trade, you didn't get a throw in prospect, you got a 1st round level talent who should be playing in the NHL in 2017-18.

This. I still can't believe we traded him for Eric ****ing Staal. :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Well, in my mind Saarela is the prototype 2nd rounder. He's going to be a 2nd or 3rd liner, no exceptional skills but surprisingly good shot which he can get off quick, works hard and skates pretty well, also isn't afraid of heavy traffic.

I'd say if i had to guess his NHL future 35-40 points sounds about right. (ceiling is 50 pts)

He's not exactly like Brendan Gallagher as far as player type goes, but i think the Canes fans will look at him the same way Habs fans see Gallagher - there's not much not to like and if the team is not playing well i doubt Saarela gets a lot of hate.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland

I've made this comparison before and I believe it is quite accurate: he's similar to Jussi Jokinen. Both are equipped with a great hockey IQ which allows them to be efficient in so many various roles from the first to the third line and as a center or a winger. Hockey IQ also shows in their awareness both offensively and defensively. To put it short, Saarela is a very versatile and smart player.

Obviously Saarela has a better shot than Jokinen, especially in terms of quickness of the release and power of his wrist shot. People also talk about Saarela's bull-like upper body strength (similar to his father, a retired hockey player) but I've got no idea how true that is. Seems to be a strong and resilient player on the boards though even with his relatively short frame.

Even in terms of career point production I think Jokinen is a good comparison as a slightly above ~0.5ppg player with the ability to stunt in higher scoring roles if needed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've made this comparison before and I believe it is quite accurate: he's similar to Jussi Jokinen. Both are equipped with a great hockey IQ which allows them to be efficient in so many various roles from the first to the third line and as a center or a winger. Hockey IQ also shows in their awareness both offensively and defensively. To put it short, Saarela is a very versatile and smart player.

Obviously Saarela has a better shot than Jokinen, especially in terms of quickness of the release and power of his wrist shot. People also talk about Saarela's bull-like upper body strength (similar to his father, a retired hockey player) but I've got no idea how true that is. Seems to be a strong and resilient player on the boards though even with his relatively short frame.

Even in terms of career point production I think Jokinen is a good comparison as a slightly above ~0.5ppg player with the ability to stunt in higher scoring roles if needed.

NHL.com lists him at 5'11 198 pounds. Thats heavy for someone thats a 19 year old who's not even 6 feet tall. For example, Sidney Crosby is listed at 5'11 200 pounds by NHL.com, and people know how strong he is, especially his lower body. I think Saarela's strong lower body helps his shot, as its been known that its helped Crosby's shot.

Thats not to say he's a similar hockey player to Crosby, but I think physique-wise, they are very similar. The comparison to Jokinen is a pretty good one, but I do agree with you that Saarela's more of a goal scorer than Jokinen is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes just signed him to an ELC. I assume he'll be playing in Finland this coming season? For those that know of him/watch him, would he have a chance at making the Canes roster (which needs forward help) or is he not yet ready?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Canes just signed him to an ELC. I assume he'll be playing in Finland this coming season? For those that know of him/watch him, would he have a chance at making the Canes roster (which needs forward help) or is he not yet ready?

I think he needs one more season in Liiga, but I am biased because Lukko is my favorite team and if he doesn't play for us we are ****ed.

He's not NHL ready, but not too far from it either. I'm pretty sure AHL doesn't serve him any favors, Liiga is a bit better and he will be able to stay home for an extra season. His shot is ready, everything else needs work.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is he definitely ready? No.
Could he be ready? Yes.

If he was to go to Canes camp, I think he'd have a chance to make the Canes roster, especially considering its not the most veteran rosters with a lot of top 9 forwards. He's ready enough to compete against an NHL training camp roster for a spot. Whether or not he's ready to play in the NHL is hard to know. I don't think he's far off though. If he's not making the Canes roster a year from now, he's either not developed well this season or he's taking an extra season outside of the NHL that he doesn't need. I expect him to be one of the best players in Liiga this season.

I also really don't agree with the above comment that his shot is ready, and everything else isn't. I watched him play last season many times, and he was an all situation player, pretty much their best player. Offensive zone, defensive zone, PP, PK, shootouts, overtime, nearly on the first unit of everything. Might've actually been on the first unit of everything, I don't remember exactly. Good on FO's, good forechecker, incredible strength for a 19 year old. I don't know if he's ready for the NHL, as its a much higher paced game with less room, but he's not some sniper who can do nothing else. I think the stats are fooling some people. He's good at nearly every part of the game. If that comes with great goal scoring ability, thats even better for the Canes, but he's not a pure sniper who can do nothing else.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
I would not be surprised if Saarela makes 'Canes roster. He can play all positions and roles. Of course Carolina won't play him on top-6, but he can play on checking role and stunt higher when needed.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The x-factor with Saarela is they're also bringing in Aho at the same time. If those two have instant chemistry, as you might suspect, that gives him an edge over whatever other rookies are coming in.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Send him to the AHL rather than back to Finland if he won't make it out of the camp. AHL is a much better development league plus he would get the benefit of making the adjustment to the NHL style game before the next year's training camp rolls around.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't see him cracking this year to be honest. I think they'll allow him to go back to Liiga and try to replicate or better this season, all while working on a list of assignments from the organization regarding fitness and style of play. Joni Pitkanen is on Hurricanes staff now as a scout. He can check him out whenever he wants to make sure things are going well for his development and report back to the Hurricanes. Plus, allowing him the opportunity to represent Finland in the WJC would be big for his development.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He probably has no shot to make the team this year purely on a salary cap basis. If both he and Aho were to make the team on skill, which is possible, then the amount of money we'd have to spend on one last forward would be pretty high, higher than Ron Francis would likely spend on any of the UFAs likely to give us a look. We need to spend some money and ELC contracts are not good for that.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I'd say if i had to guess his NHL future 35-40 points sounds about right. (ceiling is 50 pts)

I don't agree with this. He is immensely talented, much more so than for example Jussi Jokinen was and he is a 60pt player. The injuries really halted his progress, before those started he was looking like a potential top 5 pick. If the injuries are behind him, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't become a good 2nd line fwd, possibly even 1st line. Physically he is a beast like his father was, but both have a small frame. His shot has always been good, and he has a good hockey IQ as well.

I just hope Canes don't want him yet for this season, I'm expecting a 30 goal, 55+ point season in Liiga.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He probably has no shot to make the team this year purely on a salary cap basis. If both he and Aho were to make the team on skill, which is possible, then the amount of money we'd have to spend on one last forward would be pretty high, higher than Ron Francis would likely spend on any of the UFAs likely to give us a look. We need to spend some money and ELC contracts are not good for that.

That may not be the case though. Canes have to spend about $15M (before Aho, Rask and Saarela). Those three will add about $5-6M so they'd need to spend about $10M on 1 top 6 forward, a 3rd/4th line forward, a 13th forward, a #7D, and a goalie. I could see something like $5M for a top 6 forward, $3M for a goalie and $2M to fill out the rest.

Still though, I think he'd have to knock it out of the park at Camp to make the team and I suspect he'll be back in Finland next season.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yeah if I had to bet I'd guess he's back in Finland. He doesn't seem ready for a top six role, and there are already plenty of other slightly older guys in PDG/McGinn/Woods/Brown/Sutter that are probably better suited for the bottom six anyway.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/a1465868552127

Saarela won't be going to the summer rookie camp in U.S., but like Aho will practice in Finland for the summer. Carolina wants the players to avoid needless travelling.

"I'll train generally everything, because I'm not yet a ready player package. I have work to do on every field if I ever wish to get a spot there."

Saarela is aware that a large portion of young players won't secure a place directly into the NHL roster, but will go through the farm.

"In no way am I intimidated by the farm."

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah if I had to bet I'd guess he's back in Finland. He doesn't seem ready for a top six role, and there are already plenty of other slightly older guys in PDG/McGinn/Woods/Brown/Sutter that are probably better suited for the bottom six anyway.

Or even a guy like Hofmann if he's finally serious about signing here. Much lower upside but far more developed and a good fit in a 4th line role. And Wallmark is expected to make the move over to North America next season as well.

I think Saarela is back over in Finland for one more year before making the jump full time next season.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I think Saarela is back over in Finland for one more year before making the jump full time next season.

Yes I can't see Canes bringing up two rookie centers and Saarela has obviously already talked to them about his options next season. He said it very clearly in a local hockey site, "I have two options regarding next season. I'm going to the training camp and if they want to keep me up there I will stay. If not, I will come back and play for Lukko. There are no other options."

Rough translation from memory but you have to assume these options have been discussed with the Canes organisation. Nothing suggests that AHL is an option for him.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

I like Saarela as a prospect but just to play devil's advocate, Armia had better stats in the Finnish league at the same age. Not to mention that between the two of them, Saarela might have more initial struggles in the NHL due to his size.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yes I can't see Canes bringing up two rookie centers and Saarela has obviously already talked to them about his options next season. He said it very clearly in a local hockey site, "I have two options regarding next season. I'm going to the training camp and if they want to keep me up there I will stay. If not, I will come back and play for Lukko. There are no other options."

Rough translation from memory but you have to assume these options have been discussed with the Canes organisation. Nothing suggests that AHL is an option for him.

Yep, of that I have absolutely no doubt. The Francis regime seems a decent bit more open to the possibilities of that then the prior one did. Second biggest reason we lost Andersen (biggest I maintain still is the agent he switched to AINEC) is that JR wanted to sign him and play him in the ECHL whereas Andersen wanted to honor his contract with the SEL team he was set to play for. If an agreement to have him under contract here but "loaned" back to that team could have been reached he'd probably still be here and would be our starter heading in to next season.

It was tried only once under JR, with Kivisto, and that didn't work out so it was like he became averse to the idea entirely. Francis seems more flexible to the idea if he thinks it would be better for the players development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->