C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Watching Heponiemi for the 2nd time the last few days (live here in Edmonton and now on Shaw TV), he looks very skillful and dynamic offensively. He's still undersized but has definitely gotten bigger since I saw him in pre-season.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Heponiemi scored last night vs 3 points ( 1+2) Saskatoon Blades .
In 67 regular season games Heponiemi has scored 27+ 54 = 81 points.

He's 1 point behind of Nico Hischier in CHL rookie scoring.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd take him in the last first. I don't give a **** how small he is.

Yeah, same Some smart team is going to get a big talent by moving early on him.

And he's 5'10, so it's not like he's absurdly tiny. It's easy to get scared by the 140 lbs. thing but he obviously won't be that weight forever. In 4 years when he's 5'10 170 or 5'11 175 it will seem ridiculous that people were ranking him down to the 3rd round because of it.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Artturi Lehkonen was 152 lbs. when we drafted him, he is now 176.

Also if Vladimir Tarasenko can go from 185 to 218 I have complete confidence in Heponiemi's ability to put on some weight.

whlscowt

Also if Vladimir Tarasenko can go from 185 to 218 I have complete confidence in Heponiemi's ability to put on some weight.

It depends on genetics. I have heard his parents are quite slight, but I haven't been able to confirm that. I think it'll be a similar situation like last years WHL RoY, Matthew Phillips where teams are going to acknowledge the scoring ability but be overly cautious, though given the fact that Hepo45 is taller, I think we'll see him go in the middle of the draft rather than as late as Phillips went. It's early but if I were to guess, round 3-4. One thing I will say about Hepo is, he is a huge benefactor of the Broncos system, and I think the stats are a little misleading (especially those comparing Hischier's output to his, it's two different beasts in my opinion), but he does have skills and will get drafted.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Yes he was but Lehkonen played his draft-season in FEL and then he went to Frolunda which is European version of London Knights.
Heponiemi has playing his draft year in CHL so comparing him to Lehkonen is like comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Closer to a 3-5+ pick due to size.

Even Tolvanen is undersized and he's going probably TOP10- TOP15.
Also Yamamoto is undersized as well and he's going somewhere mid or late first round.

So if those guys can go 1st round why Heponiemi can't then.
This years NHL draft is so weak as ever could be so there's no much consensus and undetectable surprises could happen.

May remind you no-one in last year didn't expect Henrik Borgstrom goes 23rd overall in Florida Panthers but it happen.
So who actually even knows how high Heponiemi goes in the draft day? Answer No-one

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'd take him in the late first. I don't give a **** how small he is.

I understand that scouts might be concerned of Heponiemi's slight physical frame.
And maybe that's a factor for his draft position.

Even Mikael Granlund was physically slight in his draft year.
And when he came to NHL after 2012-2013 NHL lock-out he was in serious troubles .

And look him now Granlund plays his best hockey at the moment and thanks for that belongs Bruce Boudreau who put Granlund on the wing.
Yes there's risk to take guy like Heponiemi in 1st round if he's physically slight.

Why i did use Mikael Granlund comparison then.
I used that for example how big defensive responsibility center has todays NHL.

All Finnish NHL centers today can't be like Aleksander Barkov because he's something unique what comes really rarely from Finland.

But Heponiemi is pure center he isn't winger center like Mikael Granlund.
So being an impact center in NHL Heponiemi needs much more muscle-mass and few more inch won't hurt him either but does he have room to grow more that's another story.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Even Tolvanen is undersized and he's going probably TOP10- TOP15.
Also Yamamoto is undersized as well and he's going somewhere mid or late first round.

So if those guys can go 1st round why Heponiemi can't then.
This years NHL draft is so weak as ever could be so there's no much consensus and undetectable surprises could happen.

May remind you no-one in last year didn't expect Henrik Borgstrom goes 23rd overall in Florida Panthers but it happen.
So who actually even knows how high Heponiemi goes in the draft day? Answer No-one

Yamamoto has other things going for him tho (very high end offensively and responsible away from the puck), Shaw has similar numbers as Yamamoto and i also have him going in the 3rd/4th (because of size and he's not very good away from the puck).

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I love that he makes a lot of plays in the centre of the ice. He is going to take time but there are few with more pure skill from the WHL this season. Should be a good value pick wherever he goes.

He can change pace so quickly off of fast breaks, and he has really nice hands and the vision to create on nothing plays.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I want to see the Jets draft a LHD in the first but in the 2nd be all over Heponiemi

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I want to see the Jets draft a LHD in the first but in the 2nd be all over Heponiemi

Are you sure Jets wants draft 5'10 tall and 143 lbs center?.
Yes Heponiemi has got really good skill-set and some GM will gamble of his skill.

But Heponiemi's biggest weakness is small physical frame.
Also his two way game needs a lot improving if he wants to be impact NHL center ( Heponiemi is pure center he isn't center winger like Mikael Granlund).

Heponiemi is high risk / high reward type project pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->