C Aleksanteri Kaskimaki - IFK Helsinki 73rd overall pick 2022 draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Reactions: Ranksu

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Generally writeup by Pronman is basically saying "Solid NHL skills save for his skating that needs to improve". Which is basically the writeup for about 5 3rd line forwards every year. It's not a reach or anything, so I'm fine with it.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Generally writeup by Pronman is basically saying "Solid NHL skills save for his skating that needs to improve". Which is basically the writeup for about 5 3rd line forwards every year. It's not a reach or anything, so I'm fine with it.
And then you've got 2 of the 3 linked articles above raving about his skating and ranking it among the best in the draft. Really goes to show how much opinions differ once you get outside the top 50 or so prospects. I generally respect Pronman's work and I'm not trying to say he is wrong in this case. I've never analyzed this kid's game and I'm not trying to argue one way or another.

Just amused at how different scouting reports can be.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Im not sure where the idea that hes a bad skater came from

from what i have seen he just seems to have poor conditioning or something (or hes not always emgaged?), so maybe it can make his skating look worse than it is

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
Just stopping by to say you guys got great value with this pick. I follow HIFK closely and his skills have definite NHL upside and the Blues roster structure seems to be a perfect fit for him. Aleksanteri is a very dynamic skater. Very fast to get to speed and agile. I would not call him disengaged. Keep in mind he has more often played against competition older than him and done quite well. Plays well on both ends of the ice. He should be expected to be a regular in HIFK forward rotation this year. I think you definitely found roster player with him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Im not sure where the idea that hes a bad skater came from

from what i have seen he just seems to have poor conditioning or something (or hes not always emgaged?), so maybe it can make his skating look worse than it is
If your finnish or don't light up liiga and your not named brad lambert....you're automatically pegged as a bad skater....hence Anton Lundell lol

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I like this pick. He fell as he’s not proven in a European pro league but he clearly has lots of speed and skill. What more could you want in a 3rd round pick?

Reactions: Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I like this pick. He fell as he’s not proven in a European pro league but he clearly has lots of speed and skill. What more could you want in a 3rd round pick?
We did get our Cup winning goalie with a 3rd round pick, so there is a bit of a high bar.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Just stopping by to say you guys got great value with this pick. I follow HIFK closely and his skills have definite NHL upside and the Blues roster structure seems to be a perfect fit for him. Aleksanteri is a very dynamic skater. Very fast to get to speed and agile. I would not call him disengaged. Keep in mind he has more often played against competition older than him and done quite well. Plays well on both ends of the ice. He should be expected to be a regular in HIFK forward rotation this year. I think you definitely found roster player with him.
Thank you for the insight on him - much appreciated!!

In the interview he says he models his game after Sebastian Aho who is also his favorite player
Ha - I’m sold!!

Moosee

Sep 21, 2022
Been quite quiet here. In playoffs last season he was already showing some progress, and he has continued from that and for past 8 games he has been IFK's best player easily.

Everytime he is on ice, good things happen and team gets good scoring chances. And all of that in low ice time, 12min per game.

Still probably needs one more season in Finland after this, but at the moment he is clearly on path towards NHL.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thanks for the update. Haven’t followed him at all. It is a little harder to follow those playing in Europe. add another player to the WCJ.

So that likely takes us to 6. All which should be playing big roles for their team.

Reactions: Mike Liut

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Loved his skating at prospect camp, but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Production steadily improving is a great sign. These world juniors are going to be the most fun since the Schwartz/Tarasenko days.
Believe Kaskimaki is going to be a top center for Finland at the WJC this year. Thought he looked pretty good for them last year in limited minutes as an underager.

There’ve been some intriguing highlights posted in his main boards thread from this season. Seems like a smart player with good hands in close who isn’t afraid to get to the front of the net:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Eight goals in 32 games so far with HIFK in Liiga and 2+2-4 for Finland at the WJC. Anything substantive to take from his play this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad