C Akil Thomas - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2018, 51st, LAK)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Having the best year statistically out of anyone not named Ryan Merkley from the OHL draft last spring. 28 points in 34 games are some pretty good stats for a rookie. Anyone have further insight on this kid? What's his game like?

Just through some quick googling he is supposed to be a "hyper mobile" forward with high IQ. Would that be correct? How high could he go in the draft next year?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=364033

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Had a very neat PP assist a couple nights ago and scored two more last night (that I'll upload later today).

^First assist in that video.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Stats are very impressive on a weak Icedogs team.

I've only seen him at the U17s and he looked good there.

My impression watching him was that he looked like a water bug out there. Constantly moving his feet, strong east-west game and was creative with the puck.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really surprised there hasn't been more talk about him. Just looking at highlights + stats he seems like a very impressive player and a legit top prospect for 2018. Would love some input from people who have watched him play, especially in regards to what his weaknesses are.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really surprised there hasn't been more talk about him. Just looking at highlights + stats he seems like a very impressive player and a legit top prospect for 2018. Would love some input from people who have watched him play, especially in regards to what his weaknesses are.
The impression I get from people who watch a bunch of the OHL is that they are really down on the 2018 class. Merkley is very divisive, and not much else is really standing out. I've had people I trust tell me that the best of the 2018 crop might actually be Dellandrea.

I'd say the main weakness is quite obvious which is sub-par size (could be sub 5'10), I've also heard people say they think he plays a bit of a selfish game, but I haven't seen enough of him to confirm it. His skating is good, and he has great puck skills. As with most smaller players, most won't jump on their bandwagon until they see elite production. As of now, his production is good getting a bunch of minutes on a bottom dweller, but he probably needs to get above 1.4 or 1.5ppg in his draft year to make serious noise. Right now his numbers are good, but remember a guy like Marner didn't get serious top 10 discussion until after his performance at Hlinka.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The impression I get from people who watch a bunch of the OHL is that they are really down on the 2018 class. Merkley is very divisive, and not much else is really standing out. I've had people I trust tell me that the best of the 2018 crop might actually be Dellandrea.

I'd say the main weakness is quite obvious which is sub-par size (could be sub 5'10), I've also heard people say they think he plays a bit of a selfish game, but I haven't seen enough of him to confirm it. His skating is good, and he has great puck skills. As with most smaller players, most won't jump on their bandwagon until they see elite production. As of now, his production is good getting a bunch of minutes on a bottom dweller, but he probably needs to get above 1.4 or 1.5ppg in his draft year to make serious noise. Right now his numbers are good, but remember a guy like Marner didn't get serious top 10 discussion until after his performance at Hlinka.

He's not even that small though. Listed at 5'11 and he looks every bit of it, at least on videos. Doesn't look nearly as slight as Marner did/does either, looks to have a decent frame, that he should be able to put some muscle on. His shot looks pretty good too. This guy has definitely piqued my interest.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
How has he looked this season? Surprised there isn't much buzz around him. Can he challenge Svechnikov for best forward in the draft?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
How has he looked this season? Surprised there isn't much buzz around him. Can he challenge Svechnikov for best forward in the draft?
Lol, no. Svechnikov is insanely good, much better than I was expecting, an absolute hurricane tearing down defenses.

That said, from my limited viewings of Thomas, I’d say he has a good shot at being a top-10 selection. I was a huge supporter of Suzuki last year, and I’d say that Thomas both plays quite a similar game and is significantly better at the same age. I’m sure this is a controversial statement, but I’d take him over Veleno and Tkachuk currently. I’m a huge Tkachuk critic, though, and Veleno has been largely disappointing in terms of dominating play so far this season.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Lol, no. Svechnikov is insanely good, much better than I was expecting, an absolute hurricane tearing down defenses.

That said, from my limited viewings of Thomas, I’d say he has a good shot at being a top-10 selection. I was a huge supporter of Suzuki last year, and I’d say that Thomas both plays quite a similar game and is significantly better at the same age. I’m sure this is a controversial statement, but I’d take him over Veleno and Tkachuk currently. I’m a huge Tkachuk critic, though, and Veleno has been largely disappointing in terms of dominating play so far this season.
I like the Suzuki comparison. He could follow a similar trend this year. A guy who will probably go 10-20 but wouldn’t look out of place as a late Top 10 pick.

Reactions: 99664987

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Kid should be getting way more attention. With the Avs playing their way out of Smith+Veleno he's my new target I want the Avs to go after. Has tremendous puck skills but also has been great defensively when I've watched him and seems like he has a great head on his shoulders. Also seems to have good leadership ability. I've compared him to a slightly bigger slightly less skilled Marner personally and think he'll be a top 6 RW in pro which the Avs desperately need

Reactions: 99664987 and Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Almost finished with as many assists as Hayton has points. On a worse team. Kid is a good well-rounded player with hands. I know he's on the smaller side but I think he should be ranked higher, I would love Detroit to take him with their late 1st rounder. I think he has the skill set to (continue to) play center, he just needs to get stronger. I think he plays more like a center than a winger.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Almost finished with as many assists as Hayton has points. On a worse team. Kid is a good well-rounded player with hands. I know he's on the smaller side but I think he should be ranked higher, I would love Detroit to take him with their late 1st rounder. I think he has the skill set to (continue to) play center, he just needs to get stronger. I think he plays more like a center than a winger.

If he falls out of the teens, it's a monumental mistake by a lot of scouting staffs. He's infinitely better than Hayton and shows more offensive traits and physical traits, especially skating wise.

He's a very high riser for me. Literally all he needs to learn how to do is exploit defenses by not going all out skating wise all the time, slow things down, change speeds quickly and he will open up more space for himself and others.

He has some great hands and he has a great shot that he could stand to use more.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
And he’s carried over a good year with a solid playoff performance.
Great to see.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Doubt he plays center in the nhl (too small) and I think he would be better as a wing. One of the skill players in this draft.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Doubt he plays center in the nhl (too small) and I think he would be better as a wing. One of the skill players in this draft.

Too small?

He's 5'10 170lbs at 18. He can be bigger with time..

Also Tyler Johnson

Reactions: cg98

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Too small?

He's 5'10 170lbs at 18. He can be bigger with time..

Also Tyler Johnson
It's not only height, but his play style seems more fit as a winger. I think he would have much more success at wing. Players like TJ have better attributes to be a center. Thomas would thrive more on the wing IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not only height, but his play style seems more fit as a winger. I think he would have much more success at wing. Players like TJ have better attributes to be a center. Thomas would thrive more on the wing IMO.

I disagree. He’s not bad defensively and a puck hound. Loves causing turnovers. Other than his size I see no reason he couldn’t play center.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
From my viewings he plays a very similar game to Nick Suzuki and IMO could be just as good. Both guys leave their heart out on the ice every shift and try to make things happen in any way, and are always around the puck. That, combined with their speed and puck skills, makes them very entertaining to watch and, probably, quite effective players at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad