C Adam Gaudette - Northeastern University, NCAA (2015, 149th, VAN)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Thanks to Northeastern University being awesome and streaming virtually every game of theirs, I've been more and more exposed to this kid's game. And I like him. Last season he really turned it on during the second half and this season he's gotten off to a fantastic start with 20 points in 14 games and some remarkable shot totals, riding shotgun with Blackhawks draft pick Dylan Sikura (who I'm also quite fond of).

The main thing I see from him when I watch him is a smart hockey player. He knows his limitations and he doesn't try to expand beyond them. He doesn't overcommit on the forecheck, nor does he consistently try to unsuccessfully fly through the opposing team's defenders. He could definitely benefit from bulking up a bit. Ideally he'd have the same weight as someone like Nick Bonino, who is actually pretty similar to Gaudette in terms of playing style. Gaudette isn't fast, especially in terms of his first step (a very recurring theme among late round prospects), but he's strong on his feet and tough to take off of the puck. He has the ability to stickhandle in many situations and he's surprisingly elusive for a guy with subpar skating skills. He often makes his linemates better and he's great at setting them up, though his shot is nothing to scoff at either. Defensively he's very sound, I rarely see him out of position and he's quite smart with his stickchecking.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the pick when it was made, but he's tracked quite well for a 5th rounder. I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that this guy could contribute in Utica as early as next season.

Last edited:

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
It seems like the Canucks have done a decent job drafting in the later rounds in the past couple of years:
Will Lockwood (F) - Michigan
Carl Neill (D) - Sherbrooke
Tate Olson (D) - Prince George
Brett McKenzie (F) - North Bay

Including Gaudette, if even one of those guys becomes an NHL regular you'd have to determine that as success at the draft.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
It seems like the Canucks have done a decent job drafting in the later rounds in the past couple of years:
Will Lockwood (F) - Michigan
Carl Neill (D) - Sherbrooke
Tate Olson (D) - Prince George
Brett McKenzie (F) - North Bay

Including Gaudette, if even one of those guys becomes an NHL regular you'd have to determine that as success at the draft.

Nikita Tryamkin 3rd round 2014 playing very well for the Canucks right now
Gustav Forsling 5th round 2014 :(

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Thanks for posting this OP couldnt agree more. Gaudette is my second fave prospect after BB and is unbelievably talented guy whose only getting better with time. Like a lot. I think the Canucks may have hit a jackpot with this guy but there is a realistic fear he could go the Vesey way as before he was drafted was on the record of saying he HATES the Canucks. Hes from Boston and all so that is a possibility would really be devestating if it happens so hopefully hes grown from his hatred

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Is it time people started talking about this kid? He's doing fantastic in the NCAA and even outscoring Brock Boeser, who many consider the best player in the NCAA.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Thanks for posting this OP couldnt agree more. Gaudette is my second fave prospect after BB and is unbelievably talented guy whose only getting better with time. Like a lot. I think the Canucks may have hit a jackpot with this guy but there is a realistic fear he could go the Vesey way as before he was drafted was on the record of saying he HATES the Canucks. Hes from Boston and all so that is a possibility would really be devestating if it happens so hopefully hes grown from his hatred

What's the source on him saying he hates the Canucks? Wasn't this the kid that his family was having a backyard BBQ during the draft and his grandmother cried when the Canucks picked him and they all celebrated? They all seemed pretty psyched and they uploaded the video of the family cheering, could be the wrong prospect idk

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
What's the source on him saying he hates the Canucks? Wasn't this the kid that his family was having a backyard BBQ during the draft and his grandmother cried when the Canucks picked him and they all celebrated? They all seemed pretty psyched and they uploaded the video of the family cheering, could be the wrong prospect idk

His own Twitter feed:

CIh_TV_UMAE0zD5.jpg

And then he was drafted a year later:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
lol^ That's hilarious. I imagine NHL allegiance changes mighty quickly when thy go from fan to employee. I hate a lot of NHL teams but if they wanted to sign me I'd forget about it instantly.

20 pts in 14 games thus far. Can any NCAA fans chime in on how he looks?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I mean... that tweet clearly has nothing to do with the Vancouver Canucks.

It's like equating someone saying "I hate Blues music" to hating the St. Louis Blues.

Last edited:

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
His own Twitter feed:

CIh_TV_UMAE0zD5.jpg

And then he was drafted a year later:

This is just a tweet between two kids who played for Cedar Rapids (USHL). It was Adam ribbing Aaron.

Gaudette is just what many of you have said. Smart and knows his limitations. You get 100 from Adam on every shift. I was hoping he would stay in CR for a 2nd year but with his play last year, it showed he was ready for college.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
ANOTHER 2 points tonight just destroying everything in his path right now even tho his team is not very good. 149th overall i think in a redraft would go in the first round. Just an unbelievable rookie season last year followed up by a WAY MORE impressive 2nd year. Top 10 in scoring with less games played AND the youngest of the top 10. Just unreal. Is this a future star flying under the radar??

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I wouldn't freak out too much. Northeastern doesn't play a very consistent schedule in the NCAA and throw some real **** teams in there. Without looking at his production and who it's against I wouldn't know, he did score a nice goal against BU that I remember though. Just hard to know. I don't think he's a future star but a good pick to track. I would pay more attention to how he produces against BC, BU, and other bigger schools with more talent than his overall production numbers. Everyone thought Kyle Connor was gonna come over here and smash it in the NHL cause he put up 5 points a game against trash Big10 teams..

BB plays in the NCHC which is the best conference in NCAA hockey, much much easier for me to look at production and know he's facing tougher competition night in and night out.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I wouldn't freak out too much. Northeastern doesn't play a very consistent schedule in the NCAA and throw some real **** teams in there. Without looking at his production and who it's against I wouldn't know, he did score a nice goal against BU that I remember though. Just hard to know. I don't think he's a future star but a good pick to track. I would pay more attention to how he produces against BC, BU, and other bigger schools with more talent than his overall production numbers. Everyone thought Kyle Connor was gonna come over here and smash it in the NHL cause he put up 5 points a game against trash Big10 teams..

BB plays in the NCHC which is the best conference in NCAA hockey, much much easier for me to look at production and know he's facing tougher competition night in and night out.

So what do his crazy impressive numbers mean? There the same or better then Connors but he has LESS quality teammates and was drafted over 100 positions later in the SAME draft. Plus he is centre. Gaudette is a BEAST

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
So what do his crazy impressive numbers mean? There the same or better then Connors but he has LESS quality teammates and was drafted over 100 positions later in the SAME draft. Plus he is centre. Gaudette is a BEAST

How on earth is 1.56 ppg as a 20 yr od in his 2nd year of college hockey the same or better than 1.87ppg as a 19yr old in his first year of college hockey :help:

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
How on earth is 1.56 ppg as a 20 yr od in his 2nd year of college hockey the same or better than 1.87ppg as a 19yr old in his first year of college hockey :help:

Same age diffy is 7 months thats not a real difference plus like i said Gaudette is doing it himself plus has hella defensive skills plays TOP centre and is a late bloomer. Gaudette is playing WAY better then Connor is this year not even the biggest homer of Jets fans can deny that :laugh:

The game that Gaudette THRIVES in translates to the nhl. Connors does not :yo:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Same age diffy is 7 months thats not a real difference plus like i said Gaudette is doing it himself plus has hella defensive skills plays TOP centre and is a late bloomer. Gaudette is playing WAY better then Connor is this year not even the biggest homer of Jets fans can deny that :laugh:

How is Gaudette doing it himself? He's playing on a line with a 21 and 22 year old.

I remember Canucks fans hyping up Cole Cassels a couple years ago and he has 11 points in 92 AHL games.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia

Gaudette is not even leading his team in points. So far a really good 5th round pick but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
How is Gaudette doing it himself? He's playing on a line with a 21 and 22 year old.

I remember Canucks fans hyping up Cole Cassels a couple years ago and he has 11 points in 92 AHL games.

Ok so he has help from overagers but even when without them he still puts up the numbers. Guy has talent why are you against that? Cassels is 100% diffy situation

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Ok so he has help from overagers but even when without them he still puts up the numbers. Guy has talent why are you against that? Cassels is 100% diffy situation

Why are you assuming I have something against him? I'm simply pointing out that Gaudette may be getting too overhyped and that expectations should be tempered.

How is the Cassels comparison 100% different? Cassels was hyped up throughout his draft+2 season and his Memorial Cup run. People were talking about how he was a guaranteed NHL player and that he would go top 15 in a redraft. I kept hearing about his elite hockey IQ, amazing playmaking, etc.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Why are you assuming I have something against him? I'm simply pointing out that Gaudette may be getting too overhyped and that expectations should be tempered.

How is the Cassels comparison 100% different? Cassels was hyped up throughout his draft+2 season and his Memorial Cup run. People were talking about how he was a guaranteed NHL player and that he would go top 15 in a redraft. I kept hearing about his elite hockey IQ, amazing playmaking, etc.

Dont mind him --- The majority of canucks fans dont look to him as anything more than a potential bottom 6 guy. The real over-hype train is on for boeser, which he has earned but I want to see him play in pro before reserving judgements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad