By the Numbers (2002 Goaltenders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
2002 probably had one of the most insane numbers of solid goaltenders coming out of the draft. Just looking at the numbers of these prospects in the AHL and other leagues, it is hard to distinguish which one is better than the other one.

Drafted

1st Round, 2nd overall
Kari Lehtonen 11 GP, 0 SO, 2.96 GAA and .909 SV%

1st Round, 25th Overall
Cam Ward 6 GP 2.95 GAA and .906 SV%

1st Round, 29th Overall
Hannu Toivonen 11 GP, 2 SO, 2.06 GAA and .937 SV%

2nd Round, 31st Overall
Jeff Deslauriers 6 GP, 0 SO, 2.85 GAA and .887 SV%

2nd Round, 34th Overall
Tobias Stephen ???

2nd Round, 38th Overall
Josh Harding 10 GP, 2 SO, 1.80 GAA and .933 SV%

2nd Round, 46th Overall
David LeNeveu 6 GP, 2.83 GAA and .910 SV%

2nd Round, 59th Overall
Maxime Daigneault (ECHL) 6 GP, 0 SO, 2.73 GAA and .905 SV%

3rd Round, 73rd Overall
Barry Brust (with Los Angeles' organization now) (ECHL) 4 GP, 1.26 GAA and .944 SV%

3rd Round, 74th overall
Todd Ford 2 GP, 1 SO, 1.50 GAA, and .945 SV% (I think he's with the Baby Leafs now) (Has yet to play for them)

3rd Round, 83rd Overall
Lukas Mensator (Czech League)

5th Round, 145th Overall
Robert Gherson (in the UHL): 6 GP, 1.45 GAA and .948 SV%

5th Round, 151st Overall
Robert McVicar (ECHL) 7 GP, 2.41 GAA, and .916 SV%

5th Round, 153rd Overall
Peter Hamerlick 3 GP, 4.02 GAA and .877 SV%

7th Round, 220th Overall
Brad Topping, 13 GP 3.68 GAA and .889 SV%

I added some that played in the ECHL, because the ECHL is a tad bit different this year but that's insane to have goalies in the 7th round in the OHL still playing. Some of these numbers look weak but I think it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
5th Round, 135th Overall
Joseph Pearce (Boston College) 5 GP, 3.11 GAA and .874 SV%

Those are Pearce's stats from last year. He isn't on Boston College's team anymore and last I heard he was only staying there as a student. He's as good as done as an NHL prospect.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
-- Tobias Stephan: EHC Kloten Flyers (NLA)
-- Lukás Mensator: on loan to IHC Pisek (Cze2) from HC Karlovy Vary (CZE)

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Thanks, how are they doing?
Mensator: 9 games, ? record, 2.75 GAA, .923 SP
Stephan: 19 games, ? record, ? GAA, .891 SP

Couldn't find the rest; language barriers get in the way.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Poor draft year, yet could go down as a great one for goalies.

There was also Norrena, albeit an overager.

Jeff Pietrasiak is doing well, first year as a starter and putting up .925 in the NCAA

Isnt Bobby Goepfert also highly rated?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Stevex said:

Yep. Alot of people consider him the third best goalie prospect in the Pens system...which may not sound like alot but it's a very deep system.

He's not playing this year though. He's transferring to St. Cloud State and is inelligible to play this year.

He was kicked off Providence for plagiarizing a paper.

"I was blamed for plagiarizing on a paper that I turned in because I forgot to turn in a bibliography with it," said Goepfert. "I pulled an all-nighter on the paper and just forgot, my teacher was one of the Deans of the English department and he immediately called Paul [Pooley, the Friars' head coach]. I got a call that afternoon from Paul telling me I was kicked off the team."

The other Penguins goalie draftee that year, Dwight LaBrosse, is out of hockey.

mooseOAK*

Todd Ford's stats are with the ECHL. He was with St. John's for a few days as emergency backup but didn't play at all.

leafaholix*

mooseOAK said:
Todd Ford's stats are with the ECHL. He was with St. John's for a few days as emergency backup but didn't play at all.
Right, Toronto signed JS Aubin and have Mikael Tellqvist and JF Racine, the top 2 prospects in the system at that position with St. John's for now. Though Racine will be sent down to the ECHL after Tellqvist returns from his injury. Even though he won something like 5 straight games for St. John's, Racine did.

So... in conclusion, Todd Ford sucks.

X-SHARKIE

Stevex said:
Poor draft year, yet could go down as a great one for goalies.

There was also Norrena, albeit an overager.

Jeff Pietrasiak is doing well, first year as a starter and putting up .925 in the NCAA

Yeah the draft was really a bad draft, That second round had nothing to get excited about at the time once Detriot took Hudler.

It was interesting though before the draft how these guys had some bad baggage with them and pretty much all of them have turned up there game for the better.

Lehtonen is the #1 prospect in the league, Cam Ward has pretty much erased all doubt he can be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Hannu Toivonen who was a surprise pick over Stephan and others is just being lights out in the AHL and looks like a poor mans Luongo (Compliment!)

Jeff Deslauriers was a steal, Josh Harding had zero hype and now he's emerging as a very solid prospect, What can you say about David LeNeveu progress? it's been excellent. Maxime Daigneault bounced back after a bad draft year and is is very good long range prospect.

One guy who I really liked before the draft was Tobias Stephen but I have no clue whats so ever on how he is doing now? Does he have plans on coming over soon? or well he be another Swiss and just stay the course?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
X-SHARKIE said:
One guy who I really liked before the draft was Tobias Stephen but I have no clue whats so ever on how he is doing now? Does he have plans on coming over soon? or well he be another Swiss and just stay the course?

Well, he was on pace to break some records last year before going down with a season ending hip injury, and apparrently is off to a somewhat slow start...although from what I've heard, he's ahead of where Aebischer was at the same age...He may come over next year to play in Iowa(at least I hope he does).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->