Speculation: Buyouts Candidates this summer.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
With the uncertainty of how much longer Z will actually play, there's no way I see the Wings buying out anybody with more than a year left, if they even buyout anybody at all.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Teams considering buyouts of overpaid but still somewhat useful players should contact the Coyotes before buying out. AZ has cap space, a couple of open roster spots, and Chayka has shown a willingness to take on dead cap if the sweetener is right.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Hate seeing this but knew it would happen. Alzner was absolutely terrible last year and his body is just shot. He's been a warrior his whole career but Caps fans knew whoever was signing his was getting a shell of the player he used to be.
was he ever decent? his puck skills is atricious. even if he could defend little better i still think he would be bad.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
If a guy has more than one season left on his deal, he has to be a HUGE negative for a team to want to buy him out (Dan Girardi, career over Stephen Weiss). OR he has to make so little money that buying him out is literally just to get the contract space.

90% of these guys you list as buyout candidates would not be bought out in a million years.
Yep. This is why I can't see the Hurricanes buying out Scott Darling, even with a new owner. The only player they've ever bought out with more than a year left on his contract is Alex Semin, who was a huge problem on and off the ice. It's way too much money to pay someone to go away. They might as well hope that Darling bounces back.

As for burying Darling in the AHL, what would be the point of that? They'd still have to pay him his full salary and I find it unlikely they're going to be within a million of the cap ceiling, which is the only way that burying him would be more useful than buying him out. I've seen this tossed around a lot among Hurricanes fans recently and I'm confused. This isn't pre-2013 where you get rid of someone's cap hit by sending them to the AHL, nor are the Hurricanes interested in paying someone $4M to play in the AHL.

He's going to be on the team, most likely. Don Waddell said as much recently.

Reactions: iSophagus

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Andrej Sekera is coming off a serious ACL injury, which isn't easy to recover from if you're 23 never mind 33. As it is he's looked atrocious since December.

Buying him out gives the Oilers $3.8M, $2.8M and $2.8M in salary relief over the next three years at a time when they need it most- and only turns into a negative once Seattle is in the league, so the cap would likely be going up at the same time anyway.

I can easily see him being bought out this summer by Edmonton with a possible compliance buyout saved for Looch next year.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I agree Edmonton doesn't have any buyout candidates.
It's going to take another 3 years before buying out Lucic looks viable.

If he doesn't lose weight and pull a Dustin Brown, I'd rather they LTIR him because of his Scheuermann's disease. If challenged, the Oilers can use Hossa as a precedent of how a pre-existing condition can become too much of a barrier to overcome for a player later in their career.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
was he ever decent? his puck skills is atricious. even if he could defend little better i still think he would be bad.

Yeah, he used to be a very good stay-at-home defenseman. He was smart and could eat tough minutes and he was amazing on the PK. He was never the best skater but good enough to keep up... these injuries have zapped him of any mobility he did have and he's essentially just a pylon these days.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Carey Price.
lsnt he buyout proof?

hes still good goalie but that contract I remember reading it was like 80 percent bonuses so its pretty much buyout proof

the only way they dont have to pay him is if he retires voluntarily

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teams considering buyouts of overpaid but still somewhat useful players should contact the Coyotes before buying out. AZ has cap space, a couple of open roster spots, and Chayka has shown a willingness to take on dead cap if the sweetener is right.

True, but the cash outlay is also a major factor in a trade. He could take on Datsyuk because there was no $ involved. Just the cap hit. With Bolland, insurance covered $4.4 mill of the $5.5 million and got them to the cap floor.

Cash outlay would have to be like $2 million or so below the cap hit for the Coyotes to bite. But, AZ is a destination that players would be willing to waive their NTC for. Good weather during the hockey season, so easy for their spouse to get any kids around when they are on the road. No media pressure.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Yep. This is why I can't see the Hurricanes buying out Scott Darling, even with a new owner. The only player they've ever bought out with more than a year left on his contract is Alex Semin, who was a huge problem on and off the ice. It's way too much money to pay someone to go away. They might as well hope that Darling bounces back.

As for burying Darling in the AHL, what would be the point of that? They'd still have to pay him his full salary and I find it unlikely they're going to be within a million of the cap ceiling, which is the only way that burying him would be more useful than buying him out. I've seen this tossed around a lot among Hurricanes fans recently and I'm confused. This isn't pre-2013 where you get rid of someone's cap hit by sending them to the AHL, nor are the Hurricanes interested in paying someone $4M to play in the AHL.

He's going to be on the team, most likely. Don Waddell said as much recently.

Obviously you're not a Canes fan who has had to endure just how bad Darling has been. Having him as one of the two NHL goalies next year is a slap in the face to the team and the fans. Waddell said what he said, but I'll be sad if he's on the team next fall

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Matt Moulson is definite for the Sabres!

Now will they bite the bullet and this with Zack Bogosian? That’s a tough one but paying him 2/3 might be better since he plays so rarely.
I forgot Moulson was even playing in the league. Looking at him is his 1.4 cap savings really worth not burying him? Does Buffalo need the cap space? I see him being better for an Arizona type team, only 2 mill salary and 5 mill cap so some cap team could use him like they have with Datsyuk, Pronger, etc.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he doesn't lose weight and pull a Dustin Brown, I'd rather they LTIR him because of his Scheuermann's disease. If challenged, the Oilers can use Hossa as a precedent of how a pre-existing condition can become too much of a barrier to overcome for a player later in their career.

I'd get lightheaded and pass out out of joy if we got away with that. Seriously... I feel like we're going to be stuck with him for a few years. When he's got 2 years left on his contract I could see a team looking to tank picking up his contract if we send a late 1st in return, but considering the number of years left on his contract and the level of play we got out of him this year it would be too expensive to trade him away even if we didn't have as weak of a prospect pool as we're currently rocking.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Unless the Flames are planning on bringing in a ton of salary this off season, it makes some sense to wait until next off season to buyout Brouwer. Two years of a 1.75 penalty instead of four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->