Speculation: Buyouts Candidates this summer.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
well from his value of thread it seems Ryan O'Reilly probably needs to be bought out.

Is there a limit to buyouts, because Sabres need to clear anyone they can. they're still paying Erhoff, what about Hodgeson and Leino? They need to get rid of Moulson, Bogosian, Pommenville, and Okposo. Maybe hope for another compliance buyout period on Okposo, and Bogosian will spend most of the year on IR anyways. So Moulson and Pommers, thanks for your service but maybe it's time to hang them up for a nice scouting job.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I was looking at the Buffalo situation earlier and it seemed like they were better off burying Moulson in the AHL than buying him out. I could be wrong.

Schlemko for the Habs. He was scratched most of the games since the deadline and there's not even a 7th spot for him next year.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Cost mostly. He'd be on the books for 8 more years if they bought him out. Still the 5th highest scorer on the team, so his replacement plus buyout costs are close to the same. And its not like Ottawa is spending to the cap and needs relief.
Your answer and some of the others make sense. However, wouldn't keeping him make other negotiations harder for Dorion? Mark Stone and other free agents will use Ryan's salary as a base for negotiations.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wild - Tyler Ennis
Flyers - Jori Lehtera
Lightning - Ryan Callahan
Flames - Troy Brouwer
Sens - Marian Gaborik
Sharks - Paul Martin

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wild - Tyler Ennis
Flyers - Jori Lehtera
Lightning - Ryan Callahan
Flames - Troy Brouwer
Sens - Marian Gaborik
Sharks - Paul Martin

Callahan is not getting bought out this summer. Especially not with his play and effectiveness still. Not all on him his lower production.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Callahan is not getting bought out this summer. Especially not with his play and effectiveness still. Not all on him his lower production.
Plus he has a m-ntc this off-season and can be dealt with rentention if required. Or traded with an asset to have he other team take the full contract

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Plus he has a m-ntc this off-season and can be dealt with rentention if required. Or traded with an asset to have he other team take the full contract

Callahan will still retain some value. He has looked good out there for the role he has been given. Just is overpaid, not ineffective. He is being reduced in ice time for depth. Can easily find a bigger role on another team and start producing again. I think he plays out his contract unless the cap issues start to rise after next season with raises due, then he is traded with some retention or like you said with an asset. But right now there is no need to buy him out or even move him. There will be holes in the bottom 6 where he will still be needed with his vet presence.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
No one has any, those were only for the first off-season (Maybe 2?) of the new cba

You'll have to wait for the next lockout for more

Those were amnesty buyouts where they didn't count against the cap.

I believe they can still do them, but they now count against the cap....

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
well from his value of thread it seems Ryan O'Reilly probably needs to be bought out.

Is there a limit to buyouts, because Sabres need to clear anyone they can. they're still paying Erhoff, what about Hodgeson and Leino? They need to get rid of Moulson, Bogosian, Pommenville, and Okposo. Maybe hope for another compliance buyout period on Okposo, and Bogosian will spend most of the year on IR anyways. So Moulson and Pommers, thanks for your service but maybe it's time to hang them up for a nice scouting job.

Was the ROR part meant to be sarcastic? I sure hope so

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
In previous buyout threads New Jersey's Ben Lovejoy's name has been tossed around. Is he still a candidate?

kij

Jan 31, 2016
In previous buyout threads New Jersey's Ben Lovejoy's name has been tossed around. Is he still a candidate?
16 players and $54 million committed to next season I do not see the merit. buying him out will cost $916,667 over 2 years meanwhile sending him to the AHL will leave the devils with a cap hit of around $1.5 million next year. They have the space to let him play out his final year.

Reactions: Mike Jones

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who are some of the guys you can see getting bought out this summer?

I personally wonder if Marcus Kruger Frans Neilson 'nd Jason Spezza will be bought out.

Nielsen's buyout would be catastrophic for Detroit, don't think that happens.

Don't really see Spezza as a likely buyout candidate either actually. Pretty clear he's in decline and doesn't remotely work on a Hitchcock coached team, but he only has the 1 year left. Low commitment gamble for a team desperate for Center help. If Dallas are really keen to dump his salary, i'd imagine they could find a taker for that 1 year somewhere without having to pay all that much to unload him. Enough teams looking for a Top-6 Center with some cap space to take a gamble on him as a 1-year reclamation project hoping he bounces back a bit.

Carolina comes to mind potentially, as does Montreal and Vancouver. Only one team is going to win the Tavares sweepstakes, and beyond Stastny, there's not much else out there for Top-6 Centers. Perhaps even the Islanders if they aren't able to hang onto Tavares maybe. Though Spezza's partial NTC might complicate that sort of move if he doesn't want to go to any of the places that might be able to accommodate him. If it's the threat of a buyout looming over him, he might be more amenable to just collecting his whole $7.5M salary next year and playing out from under Hitchcock for another contract after that, rather than just taking $5M over two years plus whatever cheap reclamation project deal he'd be signing for the year.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Any Minny fans want to chime in is Tyler Ennis a buy-out candidate?
Boy I hope so. I think he was a calculated risk element of the Minnesota-Buffalo trade. I could see our silly GM thinking that at best Ennis could rebound his game with the Wild(spoiler: nope). Worst case his buyout would be a little more palatable than buying out Pominville, if we still had him.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Those were amnesty buyouts where they didn't count against the cap.

I believe they can still do them, but they now count against the cap....

Amnesty buyout=Compliance buyout.

What teams have now are a regular buyout and there is no limit under the CBA.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Who are some of the guys you can see getting bought out this summer?

I personally wonder if Marcus Kruger Frans Neilson 'nd Jason Spezza will be bought out.
Detroit's not buying out Frans Nielsen they would be paying over the course of 8 years, He's still a very useful player. Detroits not in position to be taking on 8 years of dead money. They still owe 3 more years on Weiss Holland isn't the one to buyout players. Howard would be boughtout ahead of Frans Nielsen.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If a guy has more than one season left on his deal, he has to be a HUGE negative for a team to want to buy him out (Dan Girardi, career over Stephen Weiss). OR he has to make so little money that buying him out is literally just to get the contract space.

90% of these guys you list as buyout candidates would not be bought out in a million years.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Hate seeing this but knew it would happen. Alzner was absolutely terrible last year and his body is just shot. He's been a warrior his whole career but Caps fans knew whoever was signing his was getting a shell of the player he used to be.

He's garbage. Rarely seen a d-man this bad.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He's garbage. Rarely seen a d-man this bad.
It's sad because it was so predictable. So many people called it. In a normal business that decision alone would get you fired.

___

Will be interesting to see who gets bought out this summer. Remember that buying someone out just for the sake of it is bad. If you can't use that cap space otherwise in an efficient manner, it's just not a good idea.

Look at Callahan for example. He has 2 years left, but Tampa doesn't seem to need the extra space for next season. It's only in 2019 when they need to re-sign Kucherov and Point where they need the money. At that point buying out Callahan is less damaging than this summer, so ideally it should be delayed.

Same could be said about Spezza too - no reason to take the penalty this summer when he comes off the books next summer just when Seguin needs an extension.

Of course these teams could need the money this summer too if they make some other moves and add salary. There's also the argument for simply making a change to the locker room - getting rid of an older guy with that high salary vet stature who doesn't perform could be seen as positive, even with the unnecessarily big future cap handicap. Columbus did that with Hartnell last summer and it can be argued if it was smart or not.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nielsen's buyout would be catastrophic for Detroit, don't think that happens.

Don't really see Spezza as a likely buyout candidate either actually. Pretty clear he's in decline and doesn't remotely work on a Hitchcock coached team, but he only has the 1 year left. Low commitment gamble for a team desperate for Center help. If Dallas are really keen to dump his salary, i'd imagine they could find a taker for that 1 year somewhere without having to pay all that much to unload him. Enough teams looking for a Top-6 Center with some cap space to take a gamble on him as a 1-year reclamation project hoping he bounces back a bit.

Carolina comes to mind potentially, as does Montreal and Vancouver. Only one team is going to win the Tavares sweepstakes, and beyond Stastny, there's not much else out there for Top-6 Centers. Perhaps even the Islanders if they aren't able to hang onto Tavares maybe. Though Spezza's partial NTC might complicate that sort of move if he doesn't want to go to any of the places that might be able to accommodate him. If it's the threat of a buyout looming over him, he might be more amenable to just collecting his whole $7.5M salary next year and playing out from under Hitchcock for another contract after that, rather than just taking $5M over two years plus whatever cheap reclamation project deal he'd be signing for the year.

Spezza has a 10 team NTC so, I'd write off Montreal and Vancouver. But, he can be dealt, with either a not so great contract going the other way or some retention.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->