Buying a 1st Year of a new model - VW Atlas

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Volkswagen has just come out with a 7 seater SUV the Atlas. They've never built anything like it to my knowledge at least not in the North American market.

Anyone have some pros and cons about buying new models? Am I never going to find parts outside the dealer? Should I wait a year for them to get the kinks out?

I've got a baby on the way and will have a 4 and 2 years old plus newborn so we want to move up to a 7 seater and avoid the mini van.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
My friend is a Volkswagen dealer GM, so I'm pretty familiar with the Atlas. So, first comments about that, and then comments about new models in general.

The Atlas is on the MQB platform, so the same platform that the Mk. 7 Golf, A3, TT, and the incoming Gen. 2 Tiguan and Gen. 7 Jetta (Tiguan is out now in Europe and is coming in August to North America), Gen. 7 Jetta is next spring/summer. This platform has been really reliable, the Mk. 7 Golf's and A3 don't have any major problems that stand out, and they're doing really well in long-term reports. Of course, the Atlas is by far the biggest vehicle on the platform, but the fact MQB has been so reliable should be reassuring. I haven't heard of any problems with the Atlas in the two months it's been out either. It'll be under warranty for four years so I'm not sure why you're thinking about aftermarket parts already. 4Motion (Haldex based AWD) is pretty reliable, and the engine options are venerable. I've got a Touareg TDI and was thinking about an Atlas (also got two kids, a 2 and a 5 yr old) if they end up offering buybacks on the 3.0T diesels, but I'm not a huge fan of the lower end trims on the Atlas. I'd have to go into the 60K after tax range to get a similarily equipped Atlas, and at that point I don't really see much of a use not just getting a Q7 (which is also a 7 seater).

For new models in general, it really depends, mostly on the make, and whether it's a new platform or not. As an example from VW, the 1st Gen Touraeg/Q7/Cayenne was really bad for the first few years because it was a brand new platform with a whole host of new tech. First models (regardless of newness of platform) from the Japanese brands tend to not have major kinks, while first models from European tend to be pretty buggy if they're new platforms. American cars are can have bugs just about anytime.

You've got a warranty, and honestly as long as you take care of your car (regular maintenance and check ups, not just oil changes from your neighbourhood quick lube), there is nothing wrong with new cars. Reliability reports in general are a bunch of garbage, and can be explained by 1) driver habits 2) driver stupidity.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Thanks for the feedback, it is a bit re-assuring to your point about the same platform.

The Atlas has the right blend of price, style, features and size that it's hard to beat at the ~$40K price point. The Ford Explorer being the next best.

We will often be requiring the 3rd row for more people and it is one of the few SUVs you can still fit a baby stroller in the back with the 3rd row is use.

Ahh... such different priorities in life now.

Any thoughts on the Engine? The 3.6 FSI 276HP is available now, but I don't need the AWD. The 2.0 Turbo is not available until October.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Thanks for the feedback, it is a bit re-assuring to your point about the same platform.

The Atlas has the right blend of price, style, features and size that it's hard to beat at the ~$40K price point. The Ford Explorer being the next best.

We will often be requiring the 3rd row for more people and it is one of the few SUVs you can still fit a baby stroller in the back with the 3rd row is use.

Ahh... such different priorities in life now.

Any thoughts on the Engine? The 3.6 FSI 276HP is available now, but I don't need the AWD. The 2.0 Turbo is not available until October.

Yeah the Atlas might have class-leading space. The third row is spacious (so that's it's not "children and dwarfs only" territory), and the storage behind the third row is more than most vans with the third row up.

Canada seems to be only getting the 3.6 with AWD, though I'm not 100% sure, I just haven't seen any without 4Motion. Maybe there's a few around. Anyways, the 3.6 is a really old engine. It's been updated since it was first introduced in the 1990s and they've got most of the issues solved, but it's a boring and outdated engine. Enough power for the Atlas' purposes though. I wish it was getting the 3.0T (though that's an "Audi" engine and will only likely be in Euro spec. Arteon's and Touraegs if at all) and of course the 3.0TDI but we can't have nice things...I imagine if they could still sell the diesel 75% of sales would have been the TDI. That was an excellent engine.

For your purposes, if you don't need 4Motion and aren't planning on towing anything, the 2.0T will be fine. Despite it's size the Atlas is a lot less heavy than the Touraeg and Volvo has done well with 2.0T in big SUVs.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm not sure if they're using the same 2.0T, but I've got an A6 with the 2.0T and Quattro. While I'm not going to win any drag races, it's not a dog at all. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up to a 7 or 8 speed transmission in my car, which certainly helps. If they've got something like that in the Atlas, I'm sure it's fine.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If I buy this vehicle, VW should give you commission, thanks again!

Lol thanks. I've done work for VW in the past so they've already probably paid their fair share :laugh:

I'm not sure if they're using the same 2.0T, but I've got an A6 with the 2.0T and Quattro. While I'm not going to win any drag races, it's not a dog at all. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up to a 7 or 8 speed transmission in my car, which certainly helps. If they've got something like that in the Atlas, I'm sure it's fine.

It's the same 2.0T, just tuned a little different depending on the car.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm currently thinking about the Atlas as well--that warranty is what really sells it for me. Thought the Highlander and Pilot both drove sloppier. Pilot and highlander were both quicker (it seemed) at highway speeds passing people but for swerving the Atlas was far superior.

If anyone has one, please chime in with your ownership impressions. We're thinking SE trim. Launch would have been nice but for the fact they don't have heated seats (my wife prefers cloth seats for some reason--this would be her car). Don't really care about adaptive cruise or any of that enough to pay a premium.

For myself I'm thinking about a Golf R--there are only two new 17's left in the Twin Cities. Kinda hoping to get a slight discount buying two at once from the same dealer. Anyone know if they do that? Or if they don't, i'll just wait until the '18s come out around Dec.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Also interested in a Golf R.

Any thoughts/knowledge from anyone on how well the rear seats fold down/flat in the GTI/R?

I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to stay around 40k or under, that is fun to drive/performance, but also would be able to comfortably haul an adult Samoyed (although he'll be a pup for a while still as I'm just about to pick him up).

Seems like my only real options are SUV/Crossover, Hatchback, or Truck.

Most SUV/Crossovers under 40k don't have much of the fun factor.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

Any thoughts/knowledge from anyone on how well the rear seats fold down/flat in the GTI/R?

I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to stay around 40k or under, that is fun to drive/performance, but also would be able to comfortably haul an adult Samoyed (although he'll be a pup for a while still as I'm just about to pick him up).

Oh man yeah get an R. with the seats down reasonably well. I had an adult airedale (55 lbs) in the back hatch with the seats up--just for testing purposes because dog hauling happens occasionally. She had plenty of room. Also fits a Bob jogging stroller in the rear with the seats up no problem if you have any experience with those. not the stroller and the dog at the same time, of course. seats down there's a lot of room. not sure about fit if you have a kennel you want to put back there though. loose dog=no problem.
just test drove (again) a '17 today but it was the bright blue one. i like the color but the whole point for me is to have a fast incognito car. not a type r or sti with wings and angles and cutouts and whatnot. so i'd like a gray or black R. :)

problem is here there are no incentives whatsover for them. Interior is way better than base level a-3, q-3 Audis btw.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA

I drive a regular '16 Golf and I can't imagine the interior space is much different than a GTI/R other than some amenities. You could quite easily fit a large dog in the back with the seats folded down and it is relatively flat as well. I haven't tried it, but I could probably easily fit back there with a sleeping bag or small air mattress and camp out if I really wanted to. The car is super versatile.

If money wasn't a big deal, i'd definitely go with the R. The difference between the GTI and R isn't really huge other than the all wheel drive, a bit more power and a few minor things here and there so i'd go with that one unless the price is a really big deal to you.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Oh man yeah get an R. with the seats down reasonably well. I had an adult airedale (55 lbs) in the back hatch with the seats up--just for testing purposes because dog hauling happens occasionally. She had plenty of room. Also fits a Bob jogging stroller in the rear with the seats up no problem if you have any experience with those. not the stroller and the dog at the same time, of course. seats down there's a lot of room. not sure about fit if you have a kennel you want to put back there though. loose dog=no problem.
just test drove (again) a '17 today but it was the bright blue one. i like the color but the whole point for me is to have a fast incognito car. not a type r or sti with wings and angles and cutouts and whatnot. so i'd like a gray or black R. :)

problem is here there are no incentives whatsover for them. Interior is way better than base level a-3, q-3 Audis btw.

Yeah I don't imagine the R being a model that typically sees much dealing on. Not many 17's left in my area, so I'm probably going to have to wait anyways, but I'm not in any particular hurry.

I drive a regular '16 Golf and I can't imagine the interior space is much different than a GTI/R other than some amenities. You could quite easily fit a large dog in the back with the seats folded down and it is relatively flat as well. I haven't tried it, but I could probably easily fit back there with a sleeping bag or small air mattress and camp out if I really wanted to. The car is super versatile.

If money wasn't a big deal, i'd definitely go with the R. The difference between the GTI and R isn't really huge other than the all wheel drive, a bit more power and a few minor things here and there so i'd go with that one unless the price is a really big deal to you.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm planning on going to check out the GTI soon as my area doesn't really have any R's left, but I figured it's a common and popular enough model that someone on here would have experience with it.

I have a hatchback now, but the seats annoyingly don't fold flat so I'd like my next vehicle to have more cargo room with the seats folded down.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yeah I don't imagine the R being a model that typically sees much dealing on. Not many 17's left in my area, so I'm probably going to have to wait anyways, but I'm not in any particular hurry.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm planning on going to check out the GTI soon as my area doesn't really have any R's left, but I figured it's a common and popular enough model that someone on here would have experience with it.

I have a hatchback now, but the seats annoyingly don't fold flat so I'd like my next vehicle to have more cargo room with the seats folded down.

You're going to have a tough time finding an R for under $40k brand new unless you can haggle down with the dealer. If you're really committed to staying under $40k, i'd go with the fully loaded Autobahn GTI for mid-$30's. I'd definitely look for one with DCC as that comes with the Performance Package. With that, the only thing you'd be missing out on from the R is the all wheel drive and a slightly more powerful engine.

As for the seats in the Golf, they don't fold completely flat but they get pretty close to it.

2015-Volkswagen-Golf-110TDI-R-Line-fold-seats.jpg

If you're feeling patient on getting a new car though, i'd wait until you see the next year's offering as I believe we're due for a face lifted version of the Mk7 Golf that will get a few extra fancy features from the current one.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm currently thinking about the Atlas as well--that warranty is what really sells it for me. Thought the Highlander and Pilot both drove sloppier. Pilot and highlander were both quicker (it seemed) at highway speeds passing people but for swerving the Atlas was far superior.

If anyone has one, please chime in with your ownership impressions. We're thinking SE trim. Launch would have been nice but for the fact they don't have heated seats (my wife prefers cloth seats for some reason--this would be her car). Don't really care about adaptive cruise or any of that enough to pay a premium.

For myself I'm thinking about a Golf R--there are only two new 17's left in the Twin Cities. Kinda hoping to get a slight discount buying two at once from the same dealer. Anyone know if they do that? Or if they don't, i'll just wait until the '18s come out around Dec.

They probably will. The dealer I'm associated with would, but I can't 100% sure confirm that all will.

I, however, would wait for the 2018 GTI's and Golf R's. They have virtual cockpit which is absolutely amazing. I drove a 2018 Tiguan (new model) with it yesterday, and I can say it's a major selling point. They also come with the above mentioned facelift and extra power. My partner has a leased 2016 GTI and I might try to get her to switch the lease over to a 2018 one. On the R versus GTI, to me the R doesn't have enough of an advantage to justify the extra price. I like that it looks subdued and not like you're actually 12 (as the WRX STI and Civic Type R do), but it's a lot of money for FWD based AWD and not that much more power than a GTI.

Last edited:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
They probably will. The dealer I'm associated with would, but I can't 100% sure confirm that all will.

I, however, would wait for the 2018 GTI's and Golf R's. They have virtual cockpit which is absolutely amazing. I drove a 2018 Tiguan (new model) with it yesterday, and I can say it's a major selling point. They also come with the above mentioned facelift and extra power. My partner has a leased 2016 GTI and I might try to get her to switch the lease over to a 2018 one. On the R versus GTI, to me the R doesn't have enough of an advantage to justify the extra price. I like that it looks subdued and not like you're actually 12 (as the WRX STI and Civic Type R do), but it's a lot of money for FWD based AWD and not that much more power than a GTI.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I really hate the haggling aspect of this.

IDK in minnesota here, as a daily driver and considering i drive aggressively, I loved my audi vs my RWD BMW (in the winter) or my wifes civic for the added control at speed on crap roads. Haven't even tested a GTI i'm so locked into AWD. If i were someplace where the weather was more pleasant for longer I'd definitely not pay the premium though.

I tested the new Tig too but didn't play around with the cockpit, but you're right, that does sound appealing and worth exploring if my dealer is willing to commit one of their consigned vehicles to me. The new Tig I did not like at all--much less...dynamic? than the old version IMO. Too bad, too, because it has enough space in it now. and i like that orange.

Drove a wolfsburg Touareg too and surprising liked it. friend had one of the first ones and had nothing but horrible stories about it so i hadn't considered that either. looks pretty good now with all the incentives. last year of this, though. even better the dealer had a cpo '17 with 10k miles so i'd get the balance of factory and the 2 years of CPO. i love the ventilated seats.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I really hate the haggling aspect of this.

IDK in minnesota here, as a daily driver and considering i drive aggressively, I loved my audi vs my RWD BMW (in the winter) or my wifes civic for the added control at speed on crap roads. Haven't even tested a GTI i'm so locked into AWD. If i were someplace where the weather was more pleasant for longer I'd definitely not pay the premium though.

I tested the new Tig too but didn't play around with the cockpit, but you're right, that does sound appealing and worth exploring if my dealer is willing to commit one of their consigned vehicles to me. The new Tig I did not like at all--much less...dynamic? than the old version IMO. Too bad, too, because it has enough space in it now. and i like that orange.

Drove a wolfsburg Touareg too and surprising liked it. friend had one of the first ones and had nothing but horrible stories about it so i hadn't considered that either. looks pretty good now with all the incentives. last year of this, though. even better the dealer had a cpo '17 with 10k miles so i'd get the balance of factory and the 2 years of CPO. i love the ventilated seats.

They're going to sell a lot more. If people want a drivers car they'll buy a Q5 instead. It does drive worse but that's ok. The original one was way too small.

I have an Execuline TDI Touareg (above a Wolfsburg, but lots of the same stuff), I really enjoy it. The new Touraegs have few problems and they're a joy to drive. I'm really sad they won't sell them here anymore. If I want a comparable SUV I need to go for a X3, GLE, or a Cayenne (Q7 is seven). I can highly recommend it. Its almost as heavy as a truck though so unless you're got a TDI the V6 is incredibly thirsty.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
They're going to sell a lot more. If people want a drivers car they'll buy a Q5 instead. It does drive worse but that's ok. The original one was way too small.

I have an Execuline TDI Touareg (above a Wolfsburg, but lots of the same stuff), I really enjoy it. The new Touraegs have few problems and they're a joy to drive. I'm really sad they won't sell them here anymore. If I want a comparable SUV I need to go for a X3, GLE, or a Cayenne (Q7 is seven). I can highly recommend it. Its almost as heavy as a truck though so unless you're got a TDI the V6 is incredibly thirsty.

Alright! thanks for the recommend--Just kicking around on VW forums it looks like Touareg owners (latest model) all generally like theirs and I've seen a lot of people who say TDI is the only way to go. I'll keep an eye out but the CPOs i was looking at were just normal engines. Can they sell the TDI anymore? Are there any floating around they'll offer up once the diesel thing blows over?

edit: what's the deal with the towing capacity? Why is the Touareg 7700 lbs and the Atlas (without the factory installed kit) only 2200 lbs?

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
You're going to have a tough time finding an R for under $40k brand new unless you can haggle down with the dealer. If you're really committed to staying under $40k, i'd go with the fully loaded Autobahn GTI for mid-$30's. I'd definitely look for one with DCC as that comes with the Performance Package. With that, the only thing you'd be missing out on from the R is the all wheel drive and a slightly more powerful engine.

As for the seats in the Golf, they don't fold completely flat but they get pretty close to it.

2015-Volkswagen-Golf-110TDI-R-Line-fold-seats.jpg

If you're feeling patient on getting a new car though, i'd wait until you see the next year's offering as I believe we're due for a face lifted version of the Mk7 Golf that will get a few extra fancy features from the current one.

Agreed. The R is more like 41 plus fees. Thats' the top end of what I'd like to spend. But the Autobahn is close to 35ish i think. If I'm gonna spend 35k, I'm gonna spend 40ish and get the 70 extra HP and AWD. Also agree with you though, I may even wait a year or two for the next full overhaul onto the Mk7 platform.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Alright! thanks for the recommend--Just kicking around on VW forums it looks like Touareg owners (latest model) all generally like theirs and I've seen a lot of people who say TDI is the only way to go. I'll keep an eye out but the CPOs i was looking at were just normal engines. Can they sell the TDI anymore? Are there any floating around they'll offer up once the diesel thing blows over?

edit: what's the deal with the towing capacity? Why is the Touareg 7700 lbs and the Atlas (without the factory installed kit) only 2200 lbs?

Yes they can, but I'm not sure if they can put a CPO on it yet. Anyways there are ones around that are for sale. Not sure about deals, they're going for a decent amount because there is high demand.

I'm not really sure why, I assume it has something to do with liability and not the trucks actual capabilities.

Last edited:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Am i going crazy? Just talked to a friend in a different city who tested out an Atlas and she thought it was like driving on waves. My test drive wasn't bouncy or rolling at all. I mean i had the opposite reaction as her--she thought the highlander was nice and firm and that sucker had massive body roll for me.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Are test drive on the Atlas was fine. Neither my wife or I found the handling notable for good of bad. Acceleration was fine too. We drove highway and country road (paved).

We are waiting for then 2.0 Turbo that will be here in Sept-Oct. As Battleborn said, I'm not expecting to win a race, we are going to be hauling around 3 kids under 5 with the occasional grandma so the Atlas is a great alternative to a mini van.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Are test drive on the Atlas was fine. Neither my wife or I found the handling notable for good of bad. Acceleration was fine too. We drove highway and country road (paved).

We are waiting for then 2.0 Turbo that will be here in Sept-Oct. As Battleborn said, I'm not expecting to win a race, we are going to be hauling around 3 kids under 5 with the occasional grandma so the Atlas is a great alternative to a mini van.

i'm not even sure why i'm getting worked up. this would be our kid hauler/trip car too and it'd be my wife's daily driver. it's amazing how much space it has in it. Only two kids though, and the occasional dog. It's almost overkill IMO. I didn't like the way the new Tig drove but again i guess i shouldn't worry about that if it's my wifes car. :) That seemed plenty big.

I just have to justify buying the R, now. maybe use the incoming car with the virtual cockpit as leverage? can't hurt to try.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006

Did you consider the tahoe/Yukon xl' s or suburban? Currently I have a 7 seat navigator which works great, but the repairs can be costly. Also have a 4 door 5 seater Tahoe and it's an absolute machine. But with 4 kids it doesn't do the whole fam jam.

GM parts are miles cheaper and you'll find more competent mechanics.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Did you consider the tahoe/Yukon xl' s or suburban? Currently I have a 7 seat navigator which works great, but the repairs can be costly. Also have a 4 door 5 seater Tahoe and it's an absolute machine. But with 4 kids it doesn't do the whole fam jam.

GM parts are miles cheaper and you'll find more competent mechanics.

Completely untrue lol. And if you're taking your brand new car to an independent mechanic when it has a full warranty, you're dumb even if it's not a new model like the Atlas. You're straight up wasting your time. Cheaper parts yes but that's 1) because they're made from cheaper materials 2) are sourced locally. Even with the Atlas being built in Tennaseee there are parts still built in Europe.

The Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Navigator are not SUVs, they are trucks with a back cabin instead of a bed, regardless of what the manufacturer says. The Atlas is on a car platform, like the Pilot and Highlander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->