TSN: Button top 50 NHL prospects

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Completely disagree, they are different players. Hudon is a much more well-rounded player than Desharnais. He is quite versatile and has more than one tool in his toolbox. While Desharnais is a unidimensional pass-first offensive player, Hudon can be an effective two-way player with his hockey smarts.

You might argue that Desharnais is a better passer, but there is no doubt that Hudon is more unpredictable offensively. In addition to be able to slow the game down to make plays, he has a surprisingly good shot and isn't afraid to use it.

I like Hudon but from what I've seen I wouldn't describe him as a smart 2-way player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like Hudon but from what I've seen I wouldn't describe him as a smart 2-way player.

His IQ may be his best asset imo, his 2 way play is solid.

McCarron has been on a upswing practically all season from what I've heard.

Not really, McCarron started off the year on fire with 20 pts in 21 games, since then though in the next 26 games he's had 10 pts. In the last 19 games he's had 1 goal. That said he has been a big part of the much improved PP by screening the goalie that often doesn't show up on the scoresheet. So he's not playing bad but he clearly hit a wall and has really struggled to produce like he did, even with getting quality ice time all year. It's one thing I can't fault Lefebvre for, he's really handled McCarron well, other then the 1 game he moved him off from Center, which MB was in town after so I wonder if he told Lefebvre to move him back to Center.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=113690319#post113690319

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Considering all the 2nd and 3rd round draft picks Edmonton has had, and high picks at that, you'd think Edmonton's list would be a lot better. Their number one prospect isn't even a player they drafted.

Sure, they have McDavid and all the other #1 picks on their roster, but without those top players falling into their hands due to their suckitude, they really have very little.

I know they got rid of their top draft guy last year, but they should do a Leafs type purge because they suck at drafting beyond the top 10.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Considering all the 2nd and 3rd round draft picks Edmonton has had, and high picks at that, you'd think Edmonton's list would be a lot better. Their number one prospect isn't even a player they drafted.

Sure, they have McDavid and all the other #1 picks on their roster, but without those top players falling into their hands due to their suckitude, they really have very little.

I know they got rid of their top draft guy last year, but they should do a Leafs type purge because they suck at drafting beyond the top 10.

there's really no question about it. the oilers have done an atrocious job drafting outside of the 1st. how their scouting staff remains employed is a mystery, wrapped inside a riddle, locked inside a vault in Daryl Katz's estate(s)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He had some brutal turnovers in preseason though.

I don't recall off-hand, I know he had a good rookie tournament. Personally I don't put too much in pre-season hockey, I'm going off what I see in almost every AHL game he's played this year and several last year plus a few Q games after he was drafted. I don't have any concerns over his two way play, granted if he gets stronger and fills out his frame a bit that should help and we won't really know how his two way game will hold up in the NHL until we see him there for more then 2 games.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's got more goals this year then he did in 3 years in Hamilton combined. Only 1 defensemen in the AHL has more goals then Ellis, TJ Brennan and he plays for the highest scoring team in the AHL and has been named the best defensemen in the AHL in the past 2 years.

Sounds impressive, suprising after 3 sub-par years but I remember Ellis had good Memorial Cup playoffs one year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds impressive, suprising after 3 sub-par years but I remember Ellis had good Memorial Cup playoffs one year.

he did have a good Memorial Cup, in Hamilton he struggled and his confidence likely took a big hit. Lefebvre didn't seem to have much confidence in him last year so they sent him down and for a 3rd year pro on the end of his ELC that is usually the sign your time in the organization is coming to an end. But to his credit, whatever got him turned around in the ECHL worked, as he put up impressive numbers with 26 pts in 39 games. That's 1 less poin then he had in 3 years in Hamilton (he played in 157 AHL games in Hamilton, so that's 2 full seasons and 5 games)

But at the end of last season they had so many injuries/call ups that they had to bring him up. He went of being an after thought in Hamilton at the start of last season as he wasn't playing much if I recall correctly, to being on the top pairing and playing his off-side (LD). Clearly he showed enough to interest the Habs in re-signing him and it's a good thing they did as he's been our best D in the AHL since Barberio got called up.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Ellis is, I assume, waiver eligible next season? Meaning he'll likely have to stick with the big team if he's to stay within the organization?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ellis is, I assume, waiver eligible next season? Meaning he'll likely have to stick with the big team if he's to stay within the organization?

He was waiver eligible this season but cleared easily. Next year though it won't be so easy, will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Button is spread way too thin to properly rank prospects..he's asked to follow and comment on NHL games for That's Hockey, cover junior events with broadcasts (I say it's impossible to do both colour commentary AND properly scouts players as he has to keep track of the puck and the play and not the players)..on top of that he's suppose to keep track of players in the AHL, college and overseas or a top 50 prospect list of players outside of the NHL? Lucky if he sees a dozen AHL, college, SHL etc. games per year..yet he blesses us with these lists. I would not put much credence in these rankings ...especially considering his draft ranking as a rule are at best poor.

He had Maatta ranked as the 50th best prospect for most o his draft year..before he got enough flak from everyone that he moved him up to 30...which was still ridiculous. There are reasons he's at TSN and not scouting in the NHL.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Button is spread way too thin to properly rank prospects..he's asked to follow and comment on NHL games for That's Hockey, cover junior events with broadcasts (I say it's impossible to do both colour commentary AND properly scouts players as he has to keep track of the puck and the play and not the players)..on top of that he's suppose to keep track of players in the AHL, college and overseas or a top 50 prospect list of players outside of the NHL? Lucky if he sees a dozen AHL, college, SHL etc. games per year..yet he blesses us with these lists. I would not put much credence in these rankings ...especially considering his draft ranking as a rule are at best poor.

He had Maatta ranked as the 50th best prospect for most o his draft year..before he got enough flak from everyone that he moved him up to 30...which was still ridiculous. There are reasons he's at TSN and not scouting in the NHL.

I would bet my paycheque he makes more at TSN than he would as a scout and he has less travel. Why wouldn't he stay put?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You must then assume Craig Button did the same thing. Because how in the world could anyone not think these players are great...they were picked by the Habs! Would you care to tell me where I was wrong? Is Montreal my favourite team? No. But they are in the mix for my next favourite as they are Canadian. I am not criticizing the prospects. They are what they are. I am being objective. You tell me where I am wrong and why. It's called a dicussion. I have been following Montreals prospects for years. Craig Button is not wrong in his assessment as it is his opinion. I agree with it.

I haven't made any statement in my reply regarding my own opinion of the team's prospects

What I suggested is that your opinion was baseless and not reliable in any sort of way as it appears to be clear to me from your comment that you haven't actually watched the kids play. Anyone can look up stats on hockeydb. That doesn't make you a scout or a good judge of talent.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Completely disagree, they are different players. Hudon is a much more well-rounded player than Desharnais. He is quite versatile and has more than one tool in his toolbox. While Desharnais is a unidimensional pass-first offensive player, Hudon can be an effective two-way player with his hockey smarts.

You might argue that Desharnais is a better passer, but there is no doubt that Hudon is more unpredictable offensively. In addition to be able to slow the game down to make plays, he has a surprisingly good shot and isn't afraid to use it.

I was obviously being an obnoxious jackass for a reason. Hudon is a good player, like Desharnais, who will find it hard to play in Montreal because of the usual fans. I was trying to make a point. Most Habs fans spit on their homegrown talent.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I remember when you confidently thought Desharnais would be an elite player and used to champion him in his threads. And you love Ghetto and Reway.

I'm a huge Pateryn fan too it's disappointing he doesn't get to play hockey much this season.
So because I was wrong on a player, that assumes I like all players of his type? Desharnais has had a decent NHL career - I thought he'd be better, but he never took the next the step. I think that's partly due to coaching. There's been lots of times I've been wrong about players but there's been lots of times I've been right about players.

Yeah, I'm a huge Andrighetto fan. I'm a huge Reway fan. On the same note; I'm pretty sure no one here campaigned for Scherbak more than I did and he's not exactly small. Damn injuries. :cry:

Take a look at the last few draft threads. I don't just love small players. Scherbak, Budish (injuries killed him), and One prospect I absolutely loved was Andreas Johnson. A little small, but plays a lot like Brendan Gallagher. He's one of the best players in Sweden. Plays on the same team as Lehkonen. Stupid Maple Leafs (or stupid Habs!!). Desharnais used to play more in that vein too - which he's kind of lost since being spoonfed minutes in the NHL - although with coaching that doesn't really play to his strengths. Much like Galchenyuk will probably never become "elite" if we continue down this coaching path. PS. Not comparing the two - Galchenyuk's ceiling is much higher than Desharnais' ever was but coaching effects many types of players.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
he did have a good Memorial Cup, in Hamilton he struggled and his confidence likely took a big hit. Lefebvre didn't seem to have much confidence in him last year so they sent him down and for a 3rd year pro on the end of his ELC that is usually the sign your time in the organization is coming to an end. But to his credit, whatever got him turned around in the ECHL worked, as he put up impressive numbers with 26 pts in 39 games. That's 1 less poin then he had in 3 years in Hamilton (he played in 157 AHL games in Hamilton, so that's 2 full seasons and 5 games)

But at the end of last season they had so many injuries/call ups that they had to bring him up. He went of being an after thought in Hamilton at the start of last season as he wasn't playing much if I recall correctly, to being on the top pairing and playing his off-side (LD). Clearly he showed enough to interest the Habs in re-signing him and it's a good thing they did as he's been our best D in the AHL since Barberio got called up.
Sounds like Ellis' problems were coach related. But I am not close to the situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad