Butch's top 150 Prospect List

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
100 to 160 is pretty random but never that Dermott has such a big gap with Nielsen . Dermott is pretty good offensively and play a smart game but he is still a small left defensemen who does not have the wow factor . No dominant skills at all . Nielsen is big and strong with a very good shot . He don't have the IQ of Dermott but still had a good first pass . If you have Dermott ahead of Nielsen i understand but never that Nielsen and Dermott had this gap in my book . You probably see Marlies more often so maybe you're right too
He is definitely right. The gap between both prospects is pretty large. Dermott does have outstanding skills as well. His skating, and his hockey sense.

Nice list, it takes a lot of work to compile something like this. There's sure to be stuff people disagree with.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
very homer opinion here but if you have Colin White here at 47 you need to have Filip Chlapik somewhere on the list period but somewhere in your top 75 at the very least.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
No Devon Toews? Since you have Aho and Vande Sompel, I think Toews should be somewhere in your ranking.

I love Vande Sompel since his first OHL year , i think he underestimate . Very dynamic with the puck and had a good skating skill . I dont like when people generalizes the small defensemen who's never good in d-zone but Vande Sompel had some problem without the puck , not always a good stick and lose some battle , but i think in three years he will be better than Toews . Toews could turn into a good third pairing , good combinaison of skills/size , but for now he stay a AHLer of 23 years old but i think he gonna make the NHL soon

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Dermott definitely has wow factor. he's fast as hell.
I can't see Nielsen being 7th on any leafs list. he's lower than Dermot but he's had flashes of phenomenal play. kapanen, dermott, liljegren, not much else before nielsen.
Dermott, Liljegren, Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrum, Borgman and Korshkov all clearly ahead, IMO.

Depending on where you stand arguments can be made for Bracco, Rasanen, Woll, Rosen, Aaltonen, Rychel etc.

Guys , you've probably seen a lot of Marlies game and concentred your prospect watch on drafted guys of Maple Leafs than me : you have very good opinion and I like the exchange, but do not throw me the stone if i'm wrong , and probably there is the case here . with your consensus on Dermott and are NHL's first match a few days ago . i very liked his game , i understand what you like about him .

Are skate is not exceptional but pretty good , i agree et he definitively had the skills to play there and run a PP in the next year . what I liked less about his games was his decision-making and the fact that his upside is already close to the ceiling , so i think that the Dermott we see now , is the Dermott we gonna see in 5 years , just more mature with a better decision-making .

He is too low on the list , agree but don't underestimate Nielsen , he had the tools too

(I hope everything is understandable)

Reactions: my name is Bob

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I love Vande Sompel since his first OHL year , i think he underestimate . Very dynamic with the puck and had a good skating skill . I dont like when people generalizes the small defensemen who's never good in d-zone but Vande Sompel had some problem without the puck , not always a good stick and lose some battle , but i think in three years he will be better than Toews . Toews could turn into a good third pairing , good combinaison of skills/size , but for now he stay a AHLer of 23 years old but i think he gonna make the NHL soon
Toews is injured now, that's why he is not in the NHL (he would be the one recalled not Aho). I think the Isles see Toews as de Haan replacement but we'll see.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Guys , you've probably seen a lot of Marlies game and concentred your prospect watch on drafted guys of Maple Leafs than me : you have very good opinion and I like the exchange, but do not throw me the stone if i'm wrong , and probably there is the case here . with your consensus on Dermott and are NHL's first match a few days ago . i very liked his game , i understand what you like about him .

Are skate is not exceptional but pretty good , i agree et he definitively had the skills to play there and run a PP in the next year . what I liked less about his games was his decision-making and the fact that his upside is already close to the ceiling , so i think that the Dermott we see now , is the Dermott we gonna see in 5 years , just more mature with a better decision-making .

He is too low on the list , agree but don't underestimate Nielsen , he had the tools too

(I hope everything is understandable)

I dont think anyone is throwing stones at you. just some disagreement on where a few guys lie.

as I say though, nothing to lose sleep over anyway. Nielsen, johnsson, bracco are not really blue chippers anyway.

I'm not sure why yiu think dermott has reached his ceiling though. he was 20 at the beginning of the season. he's nowhere near his peak. I don't see elite number 1 in him but first poring guy is fully within reach.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not like I can personally comment on a lot of these prospects, but I don’t see how a guy like Hronek doesn’t make the cut. Juulsen in the top 90? And I find guys that are trending towards busts are being rated too highly based on draft position or earlier hype (Dal Colle, DeAngelo, Honka etc). Liljegren at #10 is pretty ridiculous. 10th best prospect of the ’17 draft maybe.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Not like I can personally comment on a lot of these prospects, but I don’t see how a guy like Hronek doesn’t make the cut. Juulsen in the top 90? And I find guys that are trending towards busts are being rated too highly based on draft position or earlier hype (Dal Colle, DeAngelo, Honka etc). Liljegren at #10 is pretty ridiculous. 10th best prospect of the ’17 draft maybe.

Julius Honka and De Angelo are not a bust , half a year do not say everything . I have always been big fans of these two , putting point on the point in any league . I think both was in my top 30-40 last years

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
so basically, if someone wanted to summarize your post, it would say "I feel that every single Bruins prospect should be higher".

No wrong because 3 of the 4, I mentioned are NOT even on the list lol.....If we went over everyone of them the list would be longer. I mentioned 4 and 3 are not on it, seems I have to repeat this for some. Bjork is not on the list, which is a big mistake, can you admit that? Swayman did in fact have better stats then his 2 other USA goalies and is also not on the list. Donato making Team USA's Olympic team just last week and named player of the month in college hockey has to move him up, do you not agree either?

Cehlarik is not on the radar because of his injuries this year but people could be sleeping on his potential. Seems like legit points, dirte joe. Why would I comment on other teams players, whom I do not know. Other then to down play them like we see so often or just seen.

The OP listed players and it is his opinion. I can help shed light on 3 guys he missed out on and one that is trending up. He did a good job and no one will ever agree on all of them.

Last edited:

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
No wrong because 3 of the 4, I mentioned are NOT even on the list lol.....If we went over everyone of them the list would be longer. I mentioned 4 and 3 are not on it. Bjork is not on the list, which is a big mistake, can you admit that? Swayman did in fact have better stats then his 2 other USA goalies and is also not on the list. Donato making Team USA's Olympic team just last week and named player of the month in college hockey has to move him up, do you not agree either?

Cehlarik is not on the radar because of his injuries this year but people could be sleeping on his potential. Seems like legit points, dirte joe. Why would I comment on other teams players, whom I do not know. Other then to down play them like we see so often or just seen.

The OP listed players and it is his opinion. I can help shed light on 3 guys he missed out on and one that is trending up. He did a good job and no one will ever agree on all of them.

Again , i did not rank Bjork McCavoy and Debrusk . Bjork will go top 25 , McCavoy 1st or second and Debrusk top 75 , but when i did my ranking , Bjork played 0 game AHL like McCavoy or Debrusk . Is not a omission , they just not eligible

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Suzuki 15 and Glass 43? Is there that big of a gap between them?

I think 1 to 9 it's pretty close

One step behind , 10-29 is another group and 30-50 just behind . he gap of the ranking looks huge but it is very this year at 30 rank intervals . Just think Suzuki has better quality than Glass , who's excels everywhere but i don't think that he has a first quality that will make him a better player than Suzuki . I think Glass will be the second center , maybe the Captain of the Franchise , soul , energetic , play a smart game and play against the best player from the other team , but Suzuki will be a points machine

I’m genuinely curious how many of these players you actually watch live??

Around 40 i think

Last edited:
Reactions: Tube Skates

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Again , i did not rank Bjork McCavoy and Debrusk . Bjork will go top 25 , McCavoy 1st or second and Debrusk top 75 , but when i did my ranking , Bjork played 0 game AHL like McCavoy or Debrusk . Is not a omission , they just not eligible
Yeah I agree on the 2 playing and I never mentioned them, they are established. I did however mention Donato, Cehlarik and Swayman. I was responding to the leaf fan, not you. You do in fact have Donato but I think he will climb in the next month, just a heads up. Cehlarik is in the AHL and I think a pts per game player, since coming back from injury, he is too good for the AHL. Bjork is now in the AHL as of last week, so you are right. He was not on the list last year either, I assumed he was left out, maybe you had him lower, no probs. I did not think he would do that well in his NHL stint. Most of the Bruins fans knew he was going down as soon as the team got healthy, no room and better for him long term. Swayman ranked #5 in the NCAA and Woll is #60 and Oettinger is #51, so he has them by stats and should be in the list of goalies easily, in my view. 2017‑18 NCAA Goaltending Statistics

Anyways thanks for the list, great reading.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Julius Honka and De Angelo are not a bust , half a year do not say everything . I have always been big fans of these two , putting point on the point in any league . I think both was in my top 30-40 last years
Trend isn’t great though. How many 1st round picks that aren’t even established NHLers by their d+4 season turn into anything?

When it comes to prospects, half a year can definitely change a lot. From a Detroit perspective for example I feel you have Svechnikov way too high and Hronek who is outscoring him as a young, rookie d-man isn’t even listed.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Chytil needs to be way higher than 21. He’s top 10.
As a Ranger fan, it's pretty hard to justify Chytil top 10. There's a lot of good prospects there. Top 10 ready, perhaps, which is amazing since he's so young, but I don't think top 10 overall on the prospect list.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Makar at 1? Jost at 5? I mean as an Avs fan that’s amazing. But idk that I agree. I’d probably move both down a touch and move Timmins up a touch from 40. Either way. Stoked to have those 3. Saw Kamenev as well but I haven’t seen enough to judge where he belongs. After 50 I feel like it’s pretty jumbled

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dermott is a sure NHL er. He is far higher.Nielsen won't make the Leafs top 6 D as Rasanen will beat him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->