"Busts" Who Can Still Make It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
I agree with the people who said Fedor Fedorov. I think he has a very good chance of being a top six forward. He looks just like Sergei at times. I would be more suprised if he ends up being a complete bust.

As for Jackman, I don't think he was as bad as some people are saying he was in Toronto. It was not a big loss having him leave Toronto though. The leafs defense is nothing to write home about and he couldn't stay in the line up consistantly, which leads you to belive he won't be anything more than a bubble player if he is on a team with decent defense. I am sure his alcohol battle cost him some yearsa of progress, but you don't get those years back. The leafs made a good decision keeping Pilar over him.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Ivan Huml. He seems like he'll be a career AHL'er, and I think he had a lot of potential, but he never showed it. We had such high expectations of him, but he never got it together. But fortunately we have Andy Hilbert to look forward to. :handclap:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
DENIS SHVIDKI!

Has ALL the talent in the world, but hasn't put is together. RIght now, has 3 goals, 5 assists, and 8 points in 19 games in the RSL. Also, Petr Taticek could turn out to be good, not that he's a bust YET.

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
Evilo said:
This is exactly like a Pens fan saying Naslund was a good deal because we got something out of nothing, that Naslund would never develop into something good etc...

There are so many examples of players turning their career around (Kovalev, Straka, Naslund, St Louis, Tarsntrom, etc...) that it takes one hefty does of blindness and/or bitterness to say a guy won't amount to anything when he is that talented and had such a stretch last year.
I understand the point that you're trying to make, but Markus Naslund is a terrible example to use. Naslund was already something good when Pittsburgh traded him. He was only 22 years old, in his third NHL season, and had 52 points in 66 games. He never turned his career around, he just continued his natural progression.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Spooner said:
I dunno, but some players just play better in Pittsburgh. It hink it's because Pittsburgh fans are (generally) easier on struggling players and more likely to hand out applause where due. So there isn't as much pressure to perform well.

Happened with Jackman, same thing happened with Kovy who has't played near as well since leaving Pittsburgh. See also- Jaromir Jagr.

there isn't a lot of pressure, because there isn't a lot of fans :)

just kidding...

I think Pittsburgh developed all of those dynamic offensive players back in the mid 90's because of Jagr and Lemieux. When you've got those two to learn from, it's going to help. Also, they had no pressure to score because Lemieux and Jagr were doing plenty of it.

As for Jackman, i think he just needed a chance. Toronto isn't known for giving players chances. Pittsburgh's team last year had a lot of injuries and a lot of wholes. It just was the perfect situation for him to excel. Its not like he came out of no where either, he was drafted 5th overall.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
thome_26 said:
Jani Rita

Personally, I don't think that Rita will make it. He hasn't gotten a legitimate chance in the NHL so far, for a reason beyond my knowledge, but the pressure might crush him. He's had 4+5=9, +1 and 2 PIM in FEL in 15 games. He has a lot of energy on the ice, but he sometimes seems to be clueless as what to do out there. Also, his energy doesn't convert into points as well as it should.

Also, I nominate Mikko Koivu. Some people consider him to be a bust for a reason unknown to me. Maybe even mankind. I don't consider him a bust, at least not yet, but I'll name him, 'cos many people say he's a bust.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
NewGuy said:
I understand the point that you're trying to make, but Markus Naslund is a terrible example to use. Naslund was already something good when Pittsburgh traded him. He was only 22 years old, in his third NHL season, and had 52 points in 66 games. He never turned his career around, he just continued his natural progression.
Actually no, he wasn't good enough.
Naslund had all these points playing on the first line with Mario Lemieux in an offensive era. No need to tell you how these numbers look now.
He failed in Vancouver too at first. The Nucks almost traded him away. THEN he turned his career around.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Morrison_Rulz said:
Nathan Smith for the nucks.

Not a chance. The words "lost cause" were being tatooed on his forehead the day of the draft. Burke and Co. just decided to be clever and ignore it.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Diaboli said:
Also, I nominate Mikko Koivu. Some people consider him to be a bust for a reason unknown to me. Maybe even mankind. I don't consider him a bust, at least not yet, but I'll name him, 'cos many people say he's a bust.

I agree with you, there's no way he should even be close to considered a bust. He just a player who is developping normally.

I.am.ca

Spooner said:
I wouldn't call Fleury a bust quite yet. Playing behind the defense from last year... ugh...

Either way, I'd like to nominate Ric Jackman. After being traded to the Pens he averaged jsut under 1 point per game. Some people jsut seem to play better in Pittsburgh (cough Kovy cough).

Edit- Just in case you're not joking, I'm roughly sure he meant Marc-Andre Fleury.

Not only Kovalev.

Petr Nedved also had a career year as a penguin.
Alexei Kovalev had a career year as a penguin
Martin Straka also loves the steeltown, went thru 3 teams in 2yrs, came back to pittsburgh and picked up where he left off.
Robert Lang also had a career year in pittsburgh
Stu Barnes was a solid player, came to pittsburgh put up 65pts.
Ron Francis also had his career year as a penguin (119pts)
Bryan Smolinski had his career year in pittsburgh
A few more are..
Dan Quinn
Randy Cunneyworth
Larry Murphy
Rick Tocchet
Doug Brown

The Pittsburgh Penguins is a magical team, for some reason guys that don't get a chance on other teams do very well in pittsburgh. Rico Fata could barely buy a point, all of a sudden he resembles an NHL player, somewhat of one, Dick Tarnstrom wasn't considered a solid offensive defensemen till he came to pittsburgh and was allowed to shine. :)

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Honus Joglund said:
Well, evidently you know something that GM's, owner's, and national team executive's have yet to figure out about Quinn in close to 20 years of coaching.

You thikn one of them would offer me a job eh.

Quinn sucks fire him now...that will be 200K for the year thank you. man what a dream it would be to be an NHL executive.

Quinn has the same nack for keeping his job as Bob Clark does. How do these guys manage to hang in there. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->