Burke's replacement on Dan Russell's show

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by ColoradoHockeyFan, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoHockeyFan

ColoradoHockeyFan Registered User

So Burke was not on CKNW last night for his weekly visit (because Dan Russell asked him to wait until next week due to the firestorm surrounding Burke's wife and another Vancouver radio station). But Russell did have another lengthy interview during the hour that I think many will find very interesting.

Go to http://www.cknw.com/station/audiovault_members.cfm

(They now require a sign-in, but it's very short... just have to enter a dummy email address and password.)

Once signed in at the audio vault, select Thu May 26 and 10pm. When the Windows Media Player opens, advance the slider to the 28:00 mark.

It's pretty interesting to hear... it occupies basically the last two segments of the entire hour.

2. There was a whole thread on this last night..but mysteriously disappeared...hmmmmmm
    Too funny

3. ColoradoHockeyFan

Oh, sorry... just got back into town recently and hadn't really had a chance to catch up on much.

4. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    In discussion, if that is Eklund, because I haven't the time to listen to it, the moderators have decided a discussion about the content on a legitimate site is ok.

If this thread turns into a "Less Filling(He's a fraud!)" vs. "Tastes Great(He is the new hockey maven!)" then we will close the thread.

As long as the discussion stays on content the thread can stay.

5. Fine by me, didnt follow the whole thread last night so i guess it turned into "he said- we say" thing.
    Eklund did get a lot of airtime in Vancouver over this last week, He was on a morning show Tues or Wed. as well
    Russell even asked him to come back on again.

What did you think of the interview CHF?

6. so basically he says:

no cap

linkage number to be agreed upon, may already be agreed upon

5 year deal

free agency at 30 first year, then 28 the next 4

possibly eliminating the 24% rollback

7. ColoradoHockeyFan

I just thought it was interesting to hear him on in this lengthy format and to hear Russell's reactions to him during their dialogue. I was basically trying to listen with an open mind, gleaning from it what I could, to see how much substance he offered and how meaningful I thought it was.

8. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I am going to try to listen later. What do some of you skeptics(Myself included) think of his content?

9. KrazyCanuck19

KrazyCanuck19 Registered User

"You're unbelievably accurate, I would say you're right about 95% of the time" :dunno:

10. nyr7andcounting

nyr7andcounting Registered User

What? No cap, but there is a linkage number? What are you talking about?

11. that's not what I say, it's what Eklund said. Believe him if you want to. :confused:

12. Dave is a killer

Dave is a killer Dave's a Mess

Home Page:
    you can have heavy penalties but not a cap, its semantics

ie (more revenue sharing paid out if you go over a certain $ or %, or loss of draft picks (possible more than 1st round picks)

13. maybe he is more accurate then we think? Maybe those who are more privied to info know alot of the "inner-goings-on" and can therefore conclude that he does indeed have "sources"
    I think its entirely possible that players have gone to his site or his chatroom, whose to say its not?

Who knows.
    As for myself, I have always been a fan of his eternal optimism, and frankly dont care if he is right or wrong since i wont beleive there is a deal until I hear the HNIC theme again.
    In some strange way, he may be responsible for keeping a portion of the greatest game on earth in the spotlight during this lockout.
    He certainly generates heated discussions and stirs many an emotion from the posters here, and other forums as well.

Edit: sorry slats if its "off content" was trying to answer your question :innocent:

14. nyr7andcounting

nyr7andcounting Registered User

Never heard of that being talked about. I guess it's just Eklund.

15. Mat

Mat Guest

so basically the luxury tax we've all been hoping for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.