Burke: Two physical altercations in NHLPA meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Burke is on his weekly show on CKNW (cknw.com) right now (Thursday night, 10pm PST). He just told Dan Russell that something most people don't know is that there were two physical altercations in the NHLPA meetings where guys literally had to be physically separated/restrained. One of the altercations was definitely during the dinner meeting on Monday night.

He'll be on for the rest of the hour, I think. For those who aren't on right now, CKNW archives all of their shows so you can go back and listen to this hour (Burke's show actually started at around 10:15pm PST).

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Ive been listening to Burke's segments the past few weeks..always entertaining. Will catch this one later on. Last week's was especially good when he got really, really pissed off at Russell.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russell asked Burke about Brooks article with words to that effect "Burke challenged the team to get Moore between periods".

Burke denied it and denied even being in the dressing room to say it.

Burke: "It in the hands of my attorneys".

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Burke can't believe players pay agents a percentage. When he was agenting (if there is such a word) he used to work on an hourly rate. Much, much better for the players.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Revenue sharing is not a mandatory bargaining item. Owners don't have to discuss it.

Believes they should have $200m in revenue sharing, up to $20m for the bottom markets. Could probably support Winnipeg with that level of sharing.

Believes the union make a big mistake not looking deeper into the NHLs books.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Take over bid for the NHL: they would try and leverage the labour laws against the players (which everyone has already worked out).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Burke didn't know about May making threats until the next day. Burke spoke to Crawford about it when he found out. Crawford had already given May an earbashing for it. Burke/Crawford were "livid" at May because that was "Not part of the game".

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Whoa, Dan Russell just said that something just now came over the wire about the possibility of an increased offer to buy the NHL. He said it might be the case that the group(s) that made the pitch in the BOG meeting may have just been firing an "opening shot" and that they may not be done with their offers.

I guess we might hear more about this tomorrow.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
that is freakin awesome gossip news. i wonder who were the ones that fought. i imagine roenick had to have been involved...ever so improving on the legacy that the '98 american hockey team built in nagano.

it was stupid for some players and agents to go behind the execs' back and try to negotiate a deal for 700 other players. not only does it portray your side as weak, thus giving the owners more ammo to prolong the lockout, it sucks others into a deal they may not want.

yet, it's equally as stupid for so many people involved in this process to make this lockout business such a personal dispute. when money is involved, you have to be dispassionate to some degree and think things through thoroughly with your friggin brains.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
it was stupid for some players and agents to go behind the execs' back and try to negotiate a deal for 700 other players. not only does it portray your side as weak, thus giving the owners more ammo to prolong the lockout, it sucks others into a deal they may not want.

When you feel the execs don't work for the majority of the union, you might want to negociate a deal without them, if you think it's for the best for the players.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Smail said:
When you feel the execs don't work for the majority of the union, you might want to negociate a deal without them, if you think it's for the best for the players.
you might want check before hand to see how your fellow players feel before you go behind anyone's back to get a deal done. guys like roenick and pronger were clearly not on the same page as the rest of the PA members. that, as a result, gives you no right to get a deal done for 700 other guys.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Burke is on his weekly show on CKNW (cknw.com) right now (Thursday night, 10pm PST). He just told Dan Russell that something most people don't know is that there were two physical altercations in the NHLPA meetings where guys literally had to be physically separated/restrained. One of the altercations was definitely during the dinner meeting on Monday night.

He'll be on for the rest of the hour, I think. For those who aren't on right now, CKNW archives all of their shows so you can go back and listen to this hour (Burke's show actually started at around 10:15pm PST).

I wish I saw this much passion during the games from most of the players in the league.
:lol

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
you might want check before hand to see how your fellow players feel before you go behind anyone's back to get a deal done. guys like roenick and pronger were clearly not on the same page as the rest of the PA members. that, as a result, gives you no right to get a deal done for 700 other guys.

They were clearly not on the same page as the NHLPA execs, who hold the power. There are players that have hinted the majority would have voted for the last owners proposal if such a vote had been taken. With all the players scattered and saying they lack information, it's hard to really know where the majority of the PA members stand.

If there's a thing that's for sure, it's that those players who tried to get a deal behind the execs thought the majority of the PA would agree to the deal they were trying to make. In other words, from their conversations with other players, they felt there was a majority leaning towards what they were working for.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Smail said:
They were clearly not on the same page as the NHLPA execs, who hold the power. There are players that have hinted the majority would have voted for the last owners proposal if such a vote had been taken. With all the players scattered and saying they lack information, it's hard to really know where the majority of the PA members stand.

If there's a thing that's for sure, it's that those players who tried to get a deal behind the execs thought the majority of the PA would agree to the deal they were trying to make. In other words, from their conversations with other players, they felt there was a majority leaning towards what they were working for.

I would be be one of the players trying to organize a backchannel deal to if i was an NHL player. The Deal only gets worse from here and if the idea of a unified corporation running teh whole league is actually being worked on teh players will be regretting not lining up to support those guys for the rest of their career

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
ScottyBowman said:
Burke is clearly in the owner's pocket and is trying his best to make the union look bad. Thankfully, nobody in the US knows who he is.

Burke is a jerk. But an honest jerk. I believe what he says.

SENSible1*

ScottyBowman said:
Burke is clearly in the owner's pocket and is trying his best to make the union look bad. Thankfully, nobody in the US knows who he is.

If you can't attack the point, attack the messenger.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
ScottyBowman said:

I think that most hockey fans know who Burke is, even in the US - where us gun toting rednecks drive pick-up trucks and watch NASCAR.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Not that this confirms anything, but McGuire mentionnned that there were players who shouted down questions as they were asked, not exactly a new idea, union bullying. He didn't name his source, but my money is on Mark Recchi, for no other reason than they seem to be friends. It's not that much of a stretch to imagine some tempers flaring up if someone's trying to impede open discussion.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
chiavsfan said:
Don't start with NASCAR...I still can't figure out how 100 thousand people can pack into a stadium to see a bunch of cars go in a circle. But yes, it is popular here in the U.S
You'll find your answer with a similar question's answer: Why do low income families have more than 3 children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad