Burke on Trying to Trade with Snow for JT

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
What is the point of this thread can someone please tell me? Just absolutely stupid.

Reactions: MartyC

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I’m surprised Snow didn’t try to work a deal around 10 first rounders. He could draft 2 first round busts per year for 10 years and avoid any accountability because the team would be “rebuilding”.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
He'd have to listen if someone offered him 10 first round picks. I'm not exactly sure why this is a knock on Snow here. Seems like he did the right thing. He listened, he asked the question are you actually offering this, and then he rightfully said no to 5 picks and then stopped talking to him about the subject. I have no problem with this.

JT is a great player. Perhaps not the generational talent we thought he might be, but he's great none the less. I don't begrudge Snow for not listening to offers for the pick.

Reactions: Instant

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Hate standing up for him, but Snow was right in this instance... especially at the time of the draft. If the Islanders won Dahlin, would you want Snow to trade the pick for 3 first rounders? 5?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Let’s not forget Burke telling Tavares he should refuse to report if drafted by the isles.

The only trade I would have been happy with at the time would have been

Tavares to Tampa for Stamkos and 2009 2nd overall (Hedman)

That obviously wasn’t happening.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I have NO problem with Snow’s handling of that. Burke was a total “A-lister Blowhard Hole” that offseason.

He was constantly making direct and coy comments through the media about wanting to trade for the pick to select Tavares.

Toronto media would then run with that and start their op-ed pieces about how Tavares deserved better than the Isles. How Toronto’s favorite son at the time deserved to wear his childhood favorite Leaf’s Jersey... blah... blah.

Burke and the media stooges were trying to manufacture a situation similar to Lindros refusal of Quebec.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike and SI90

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Let’s not forget Burke telling Tavares he should refuse to report if drafted by the isles.

The only trade I would have been happy with at the time would have been

Tavares to Tampa for Stamkos and 2009 2nd overall (Hedman)

That obviously wasn’t happening.

I don’t think Burke actually said it. But I have no doubt that he got the Toronto media to run with it. They were all too happy to do so.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That’s what I meant. Not directly to Tavares face but through the Toronto media.

Yeah, I figured as much. Not going to lie, I only responded because I was still heated from my post just above.

The whole arrogance demonstrated by Burke and media at that time... Well, I’m still peeved!

I’m just glad karma gave them a “kick to the nads,” with the Kessel trade.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, I figured as much. Not going to lie, I only responded because I was still heated from my post just above.

The whole arrogance demonstrated by Burke and media at that time... Well, I’m still peeved!

I’m just glad karma gave them a “kick to the nads,” with the Kessel trade.

I’m sure in the real world he’s a nice guy but as an executive he really is an ass. Thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. A lot like Snow lol

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Burke definitely comes across as the bigger ******* here.
Burke is the biggest blow hard in hockey. Never met a mic he’d turn away from. Rather snow and his silent incompetence than Burke and his really loud, annoying incompetence.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Sounds like he took a line from the show "Billions".

Axe: What's the number?
Owner: There is no number.
Axe: There's always a number.
Owner: Not this time.
Axe (on his way out): What if I offer you a billion dollars?
Owner: Are you offering a billion dollars?
Axe: No, I'm not an idiot. But if I did you'd say yes. Everyone has a number.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I have NO problem with Snow’s handling of that. Burke was a total “A-lister Blowhard Hole” that offseason.

He would constantly making direct and coy comments through the media about wanting to trade for the pick to select Tavares.

Toronto media would then run with that and start their op-ed pieces about how Tavares deserved better than the Isles. How Toronto’s favorite son at the time deserved to wear his childhood favorite Leaf’s Jersey... blah... blah.

Burke and the media stooges were trying to manufacture a situation similar to Lindros refusal of Quebec.

Oh wow, that must have been a fun summer. Did they try to do the same thing with McDavid? (Yes, I'm very ignorant of Toronto media, because I value my life and my nerves.)

Sounds like he took a line from the show "Billions".

Axe: What's the number?
Owner: There is no number.
Axe: There's always a number.
Owner: Not this time.
Axe (on his way out): What if I offer you a billion dollars?
Owner: Are you offering a billion dollars?
Axe: No, I'm not an idiot. But if I did you'd say yes. Everyone has a number.

I absolutely love this show.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Oh wow, that must have been a fun summer. Did they try to do the same thing with McDavid? (Yes, I'm very ignorant of Toronto media, because I value my life and my nerves.)

I absolutely love this show.

My wife usually doesn't watch American TV with me, but she'll actually watch this one with me. Season 2 episode 12 blew my mind. Did not see it coming, and I love when I'm surprised because it rarely happens! Just started season 3, but now that my wife watches it with me I can't binge watch anymore, lol. I have to wait until she's ready, so I'm anxiously waiting!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I actually thought that whole story reflected pretty well on Snow. Sounds like he is a hard GM to rip off.

I think it shows Snow drives a hard bargain, but on the flip side, he also didn't really even entertain any serious offers, which I'm a little disappointed in because I think it implies what I've thought for a while, which is that I think Snow lacks the creativity to cultivate hockey deals to improve his club.

Really all of his trades were derived from buy-low situations in which the team he was trading with was trading their player for cap/contract reasons. He's never really made a hockey trade that hurt from the Islanders prospective, but at the same time filled a crucial need at the NHL level.

Now, I'm not saying he should have traded Tavares, but would there really have been harm in stringing along Burke a bit to see what his actual best offer for the #1 overall pick would have been? In my opinion, a GM should explore every option to improve their club and while there are very few offers that would have actually made it worth it for NYI to trade that pick, they didn't even listen.

Snow's arrogance has hurt him in the trade market, and has wasted a prime John Tavares with a 5.5M per cap hit. If that is not a fireable offense, then nothing is for him. It's sad really, because his defense is that he was rebuilding up until a couple years ago, when in my opinion, the rebuild ends when you draft a player of John Tavares' caliber, and the time to go begins. Toronto got Matthews and made the playoffs the next season. They got the face of their franchise and went, meanwhile the Islanders continued to stock top five picks!

Snow Must Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->