Burke on Trying to Trade with Snow for JT

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Brian Burke was on the 31 Thoughts podcast and told a story about trying to trade for the Tavares pick. Some insight into Snow's big dumb head.

Burke said he thought Tavares would be the best player from the draft (and said he was right).
Said he called up "Sn0wy" and said, is there any way you'll trade me this pick.
Snow said no.
"Well that's stupid. What if I offer you 10 first round picks?"
"Are you offering me 10 first-round picks?"
"Of course I'm not, but I'm asking if I did, you'd have to consider it."
"I'd have to consider it."
"What if I offered you five first-round picks?"
"No."
"Well of course you would. Who wouldn't take five first-round picks? Would you take three?"
"No."
"Well I'm not offering you three, but of course you'd take three."
Then when Burke told the media he was trying to move up to take Tavares, Snow wouldn't take his calls.

Now we know for sure why this team is in the place it's in.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
It backs up what we her about Snow being unbending and arrogant. There's no way he'll trade the pick? Extrapolate this out and we can see how we end up not trading pending UFAs, not signing guys who want to stay and not improving this team.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Tavares was exactly what the franchise needed at that time. He took the call but made it clear that Toronto wouldn't be willing to trade what it would take. Would you have been happy in 2009 getting 3 firsts from Toronto for that pick? More futures when the focal player we needed was right there?

Based on that conversation I'm not even sure that Burke would have put that on the table, he was trying to get a feel for the cost but did it in a condescending way (or is at least retelling it that way).

Unbending, sure. And he should have been. Arrogant... here? Because he said he would not trade the pick? Not buying that.

Give me an anecdote about the Hamonic/Hall conversation, or any number of trade discussions for Vanek at the TDL, and it will probably back up your point. Here, Snow should have just told "Burky" to stick it.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Snow is a jagaloon and needs to be gone already, but this is actually an example of him doing the right thing. He takes the call and then says he wont trade the pick used to get one of the franchises best players for more project picks down the line. Burke is a tool.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
This is funny, because on Draft a day in Montreal I reported (while in attendance of Burke’s presser) that he was all pouty and said “Garth said No”.

So he can make Garth seem ignorant all he wants here, he wasn’t ever getting Tavares and rightfully so as what was mentioned here already.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
This isn't the example I would use to rag on Snow. He did the right thing and Burke was trying his used car salesman thing on him. Nail Snow on the trades that didn't happen or that he got low value. For example Vanek and whoever else he failed at trading off at the TDL.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Had the Isles been a team with recent success having just one bad season. Sort of like Tampa did last year I think you can trade that pick or maybe even select Hedman or Duchene with it but given the place the team was in at the time they really couldn’t take any chances

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Burke definitely comes across as the bigger asshole here.

Reactions: SI90

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Burke definitely comes across as the bigger ******* here.
Depends on how he framed it. Was Burke just telling a fun little story about draft day banter with a fellow GM or was we trying to show how superior he is to Snow? If it's the latter, then yes, he comes across as an A hole.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Depends on how he framed it. Was Burke just telling a fun little story about draft day banter with a fellow GM or was we trying to show how superior he is to Snow? If it's the latter, then yes, he comes across as an A hole.

He was asked about when he said he was going for Tavares, and told the story behind it. He said Snow was tough. It didn't sound like he was acting superior, just that Snow was being abstinent.

I never meant we should have traded the pick or not drafted Tavares, but you have to listen to offers. And based on this story and what we know of Snow, he doesn't do that. He's said it himself, and here is back-up. He doesn't do his job.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He was asked about when he said he was going for Tavares, and told the story behind it. He said Snow was tough. It didn't sound like he was acting superior, just that Snow was being abstinent.

I never meant we should have traded the pick or not drafted Tavares, but you have to listen to offers. And based on this story and what we know of Snow, he doesn't do that. He's said it himself, and here is back-up. He doesn't do his job.
Well sounds like Snow did listen but all Burke did was throw hypotheticals at him. Snow was adamant about keeping the pick which was the right move. Similar to Bill Torrey refusing to budge when MTL GM Sam Pollock was offering outlandish packages for his #1 pick which would turn out to be Denis Potvin.

And by the way, I seriously doubt Snow was abstinent. I mean, look at this pic from around that time! ;)

garth-snow-drunk-party.jpg

Reactions: nyisles

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Brian Burke was on the 31 Thoughts podcast and told a story about trying to trade for the Tavares pick. Some insight into Snow's big dumb head.

Burke said he thought Tavares would be the best player from the draft (and said he was right).
Said he called up "Sn0wy" and said, is there any way you'll trade me this pick.
Snow said no.
"Well that's stupid. What if I offer you 10 first round picks?"
"Are you offering me 10 first-round picks?"
"Of course I'm not, but I'm asking if I did, you'd have to consider it."
"I'd have to consider it."
"What if I offered you five first-round picks?"
"No."
"Well of course you would. Who wouldn't take five first-round picks? Would you take three?"
"No."
"Well I'm not offering you three, but of course you'd take three."
Then when Burke told the media he was trying to move up to take Tavares, Snow wouldn't take his calls.

Now we know for sure why this team is in the place it's in.
In this case, I don't blame Snow. Burke was just yanking him around. If Burke would have said, "I'll give you this, this, and this for JT as a conversation starter, then I can see Snow engaging. This was Burke trolling.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
It backs up what we her about Snow being unbending and arrogant. There's no way he'll trade the pick? Extrapolate this out and we can see how we end up not trading pending UFAs, not signing guys who want to stay and not improving this team.

It's the 1OA, you just don't trade that shit? Do you think Buffalo would trade theirs this year and lose Dahlin? Or Edmonton in 2015 and lose McDavid?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It's the 1OA, you just don't trade that ****? Do you think Buffalo would trade theirs this year and lose Dahlin? Or Edmonton in 2015 and lose McDavid?

Bet you Edmonton wishes they traded the Yakupov pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->