Burke drafting Bobby Ryan

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Two questions about Burke's choice to draft Bobby Ryan 2nd overall.
1. Did his scouts base their assessment on how the NHL was played prior to the lockout or how open and fast it would become with the new rules.
2. Did Burke's scouts have some insight into the possibility that Jack Johnson would attend college for 4 years and didn't want to waste a pick on him?

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
i've said it for a while now... i think Bobby Ryan will be Burke's biggest boneheader during his time with the Ducks. i have a sneaky suspicion that this kid is going to bust.

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
i've said it for a while now... i think Bobby Ryan will be Burke's biggest boneheader during his time with the Ducks. i have a sneaky suspicion that this kid is going to bust.

Even if Ryan bust, the Ducks will be fine with the core of forwards they have which includes:

Andy MacDonald (29)
Chris Kunitz (27)
Ryan Getzlaf (21)
Corey Perry (21)
Dustin Penner (23)
Ryan Shannon (23)
Stan Chistov (23)

However, I highly doubt Bobby Ryan will bust. The Ducks are happy with his development for a 19 year old kid. He may take 1-2 more years to play in the NHL but BIG powerforward usually takes time to develop. Look no further than Todd Bertuzzi who people were writing him off as a bust or even Dustin Penner who finally got it together.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Even if Ryan bust, the Ducks will be fine with the core of forwards they have which includes:

Andy MacDonald (29)
Chris Kunitz (27)
Ryan Getzlaf (21)
Corey Perry (21)
Dustin Penner (23)
Ryan Shannon (23)
Stan Chistov (23)

However, I highly doubt Bobby Ryan will bust. The Ducks are happy with his development for a 19 year old kid. He may take 1-2 more years to play in the NHL but BIG powerforward usually takes time to develop. Look no further than Todd Bertuzzi who people were writing him off as a bust or even Dustin Penner who finally got it together.

don't get me wrong... i really like Dustin Penner. so much so, that i think opting to draft Bobby Ryan over Jack Johnson was a mistake. not to mention the fact that at the time of the draft, the Ducks also had Joffrey Lupul.

Bertuzzi is a bit of a different story altogether... i really think that Crawford's coaching style was very instrumental in his development, and conducive to Todd's instinctual style of play. it was a good match for the two of them... Carlyle and Ryan? i don't see it as much.

Mar 1, 2002
I like Penner, I do. But can we wait until he gets to double digits in regular season points for his career before we say he has arrived?

AgentNaslund*

Burke always lets his scouts do their part. The Scouts had him ranked "2nd" so Burke trust his scouts and let them do the drafting. Burke's that kind of gm. Hes done that in Vancouver, he will probably let the scouts chose, over who "he" wants to chose. Have the ducks had someone else ranked 2nd, then that guy will chose. Brian Burke does not chose who to draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
1. Did his scouts base their assessment on how the NHL was played prior to the lockout or how open and fast it would become with the new rules.
2. Did Burke's scouts have some insight into the possibility that Jack Johnson would attend college for 4 years and didn't want to waste a pick on him?

By Burke's own admission the Ryan pick was heavily influenced by the Ducks' scouts. I don't think the pick went beyond the concept that, at least to the team, Ryan was the BPA. He has some issues to overcome (stamina & skating) but also has a mix of skill and size that you don't find very often. He's also very young and will get the benefit of the doubt within the organization for at least one more season, maybe two before serious question marks about the wisdom of drafting him comes to the surface. As for Jack Johnson, I don't think his desire to play four years of college played a part at all in where he was selected.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
the bertuzzi comparison is a bad one. He may have the build of a power foward, but he is not. More like a viktor kozlov.

I think he'll be a good 2nd liner, but he lacks the fiery competitive drive. I gathered this after watching him in the OHL playoffs. I remember in the deciding game in the OS - London series, he showed almost no desperation. He is the best player on his team, and he was floating in the 3rd period with his team down a couple goals. Not what I would expect to see from someone drafted #2 behind crosby. . .

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
LA Times

It didn't help that Ryan's first NHL game gave him butterflies.

"It could have been much better," he said of last Monday's game, which the Ducks lost, 7-1. "I was a nervous wreck."

Ducks General Manager Brian Burke isn't worried.

"When you're drafted second overall, expectations are high," he said. "Our expectations for him are high. We're very happy with his progress.

Its easy to knock Ryan since he was drafted after Sid the Kid. Obviously the Ducks drafted Ryan on potential. The scouts really like the kid and he has worked hard in the offseason getting in the best shape of his life. Personally, I'm not worried.

If its easy to knock Ryan, what about Blake Wheeler? The Coyotes drafted him 5th overall based on potential. So why all this criticism on Burke but not Gretzky?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LA Times

Its easy to knock Ryan since he was drafted after Sid the Kid. Obviously the Ducks drafted Ryan on potential. The scouts really like the kid and he has worked hard in the offseason getting in the best shape of his life. Personally, I'm not worried.

If its easy to knock Ryan, what about Blake Wheeler? The Coyotes drafted him 5th overall based on potential. So why all this criticism on Burke but not Gretzky?

I think Gretzky and co have received a fair amount of flack about the Wheeler pick. The thing is, Wheeler continues to get better and better, adjusting to his body and developing his style of play. As a result, you don't hear as many negatives these days about the pick. The same slack should be given Burke and Ryan.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
the bertuzzi comparison is a bad one. He may have the build of a power foward, but he is not. More like a viktor kozlov.

I think he'll be a good 2nd liner, but he lacks the fiery competitive drive. I gathered this after watching him in the OHL playoffs. I remember in the deciding game in the OS - London series, he showed almost no desperation. He is the best player on his team, and he was floating in the 3rd period with his team down a couple goals. Not what I would expect to see from someone drafted #2 behind crosby. . .

Ryan played a ton of hockey last year and from all reports he was wiped out. He definately needs to keep working on his stamina and fitness.

Transported Upstater

I must be mistaken, but I could have sworn I read "...wasted a pick on Jack Johnson." :biglaugh:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Ryan's a good hockey player, but as others have said, I truly believe it takes power forwards longer to develop than smaller, skilled guys.

That being said, I'd still have picked JJ ahead of him. Especially given Anaheim's glut of talented young forwards.

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON
Ryan's a good hockey player, but as others have said, I truly believe it takes power forwards longer to develop than smaller, skilled guys.

That being said, I'd still have picked JJ ahead of him. Especially given Anaheim's glut of talented young forwards.

Well, even though Burke didn't draft JJ, I think the thought of his two Norris trophy finalist defencemen should put him to bed at night alright.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Burke always lets his scouts do their part. The Scouts had him ranked "2nd" so Burke trust his scouts and let them do the drafting. Burke's that kind of gm. Hes done that in Vancouver, he will probably let the scouts chose, over who "he" wants to chose. Have the ducks had someone else ranked 2nd, then that guy will chose. Brian Burke does not chose who to draft.

You couldn't be any further from the truth.

Burkie, as great a guy he is has an ego. There is no way between JJ and BR that BR was the BPA. Burke saw something in the interviews or whatever that he didn't like about Johnson and decided to skip over him. I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that Vancouver's drafting has become vastly better with the same scouting staff / head scout and the only change is in the GM position.

Burke is a great financial GM, but he is horrible at drafting.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

Burkie, as great a guy he is has an ego. There is no way between JJ and BR that BR was the BPA. Burke saw something in the interviews or whatever that he didn't like about Johnson and decided to skip over him. I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that Vancouver's drafting has become vastly better with the same scouting staff / head scout and the only change is in the GM position.

Isn't it a little early to tell whether or not they have improved "vastly"? I agree his picks haven't exactly been superstars (Sedins still have time, but "superstar" might not happen). 1999 and 2000 were pretty weak drafts overall.

I think it's a little early to say how Ryan will pan out. I would rather have picked Johnson or Brule than Bobby though. From what I've heard he is a player who can be thrown off his game and might prove to be streaky, but if he's confident and on his game he may be a premiere power foward. There might need to be a lot of patience with him. The similarities between Bertuzzi's development and Ryan's is valid I believe.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Jesus Christ, Burke out and out said that the entire draft was the call of the scouting department, because he hadn't been on the job long enough.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think Bobby will be fine, and I still think he can play like Heatley. Danny had to was in college until he was 20, so Bobby still has a year left.

I dont think he'll be a bust, at worse a low 20 goal scorer (which many good 3rd liners get now a days). But he should be more than that.

Does anyone know where you can get the Duck scouting rankings? I would think it would be interesting to see what players they had on their radar.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I must be mistaken, but I could have sworn I read "...wasted a pick on Jack Johnson." :biglaugh:

The question had to do with whether Burke knew JJ would be staying in college for four years, which could make him a wasted pick if he doesn't sign within the required time period and he becomes a free agent ... but keep laughing :dunce:

Mr_Jones*

Right now it seems Kopitar, JJ, or Brule would have been better choices.

Whatever Man*

It was the interview.

iirc Burke said something like, " He simply blew me away. I have never had an interview where I was so impressed with a player. "

Something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->