Value of: Burakovsky to Minnesota

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
OP, can you just edit your first post to take out the reference to the 3rd rounder? It would make this conversation go a lot smoother.

His father is, but he grew up in Sweden.

I keep Kempny over Burakovsky in almost every scenario.
Thanks for the info. I was more wondering about the origin of the name, which I got my answer to with your post.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's so hard to read and I have no idea what his value is but it's certainly higher than a 3rd. In terms of pure offensive hockey talent I think he's only behind Kuznetsov and Ovechkin on the Caps. His skating and his shot are elite; I think he has the best release on the team. He's that talented. He's also still just a kid. He shouldn't have been in the NHL at 19 and 20 and the last two seasons were derailed by injuries.

But he's also weak along the boards, gets knocked off the puck easily, and seems like he thinks the game 3 steps behind most of the time. If he ever puts it all together he's easily a 30G scorer. If not he's still a real solid middle 6 winger.

I've been leading the Trade Burakovsky bandwagon for a few seasons but I think he's on the verge of breaking out next year. I'd like to keep him for one more season.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
IMO, a late 1st is fair value for Bura, smth like 25 OA in a normal draft.

If I am the GM of another team, I think Bura's value is clearly higher than what you can expect to get in the 2nd round. At the same time, if I am picking say 11-20 OA, there's usually enough quality there to make me more excited over what I've seen from Bura.

So I would expect bids in that range, depending on what GMs see in the late 1st round, especially those that are looking for offense. I also think the Caps would rather keep him at that price -- if they manage to fit him under the cap.

(what I wrote should be adjusted for the relative quality of the current draft)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Burakovsky is a young speedy possession machine with a rifle of a shot that the Caps have no intention of selling off especially on the cheap when his value is at a low. Injuries derailed him this year but fully expect a bounce back year.

56% career Corsi for and 7.5 relative. He’s a stud that will be a game breaker

3rd round pick is insulting

That's exaggerated. He's good when he's on his game but most of the time he's useless.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
OP, can you just edit your first post to take out the reference to the 3rd rounder? It would make this conversation go a lot smoother.

Not a bad idea.

We don't have a 2nd this year, and I don't like the idea of moving our first for him. That probably leaves us short on options.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's exaggerated. He's good when he's on his game but most of the time he's useless.

No it’s not. Fact is that he is 22. You do know Peter Bondra entered the league at 22 right?

People always are so quick to proclaim a kid is useless when he is inconsistent at 22. Caps fans were ready to ride Wilson out of town last year. Marcus Johansson same a couple years back.

Heck Kuznetsovs 22 year old season was a nightly struggle if that was his 1st year under Trotz as I recall.

Possession metrics and even strength production per 60 are excellent for the kid.

Caps brass is thankfully wise in this regard. They aren’t so quick to quit on young players like this

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
His father is, but he grew up in Sweden.

His dad is this former Senator great, who I always thought was Czech but apparently was born and raised in Malmo.

4963-144Fr.jpg

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No it’s not. Fact is that he is 22. You do know Peter Bondra entered the league at 22 right?

People always are so quick to proclaim a kid is useless when he is inconsistent at 22. Caps fans were ready to ride Wilson out of town last year. Marcus Johansson same a couple years back.

Heck Kuznetsovs 22 year old season was a nightly struggle if that was his 1st year under Trotz as I recall.

Possession metrics and even strength production per 60 are excellent for the kid.

Caps brass is thankfully wise in this regard. They aren’t so quick to quit on young players like this

He's been in the league for 4 years and he hasn't progressed one bit. How much longer are we going to wait for him to magically progress? Look at him in games, he turns pucks over, sends his shots into the glass and doesn't throw a single hit.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He's been in the league for 4 years and he hasn't progressed one bit. How much longer are we going to wait for him to magically progress? Look at him in games, he turns pucks over, sends his shots into the glass and doesn't throw a single hit.

He’s 22. He doesn’t need to hit since when he’s out there we have the puck the whole time.

Same arguments I heard from many about Marcus Johansson and Tom Wilson. I wonder if you were part of those and thought the same about them? I’m sure the threads are still out there on the Caps board

Regardless. As to this thread they aren’t trading him short of overpayment and that means more than a mid to late 1st

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He’s 22. He doesn’t need to hit since when he’s out there we have the puck the whole time.

Same arguments I heard from many about Marcus Johansson and Tom Wilson. I wonder if you were part of those and thought the same about them? I’m sure the threads are still out there on the Caps board

Regardless. As to this thread they aren’t trading him short of overpayment and that means more than a mid to late 1st

Johansson was much better than Burakovsky right out of the gate, he was a 45 point player and good all around, he could play all 3 positions.

I was one of Tom Wilson's biggest advocates, I made a lot of fun of the whole "No skill Willy" thing.

Burakovsky is a huge disappointment though. To see Vrana outplay him as a rookie worried me a lot.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
If the Caps can afford to keep him another year, they will. If they cant, whilst a good young player with a lot of upside, he is probably the one we would prefer go given the improvement of Vrana and the need to solidify the top 4 D and perhaps Beagle who is an important role player.

He comes off the books next season at 3m. Has all the makings of a breakout if he gets the opportunity. Probably gets more opportunity at another team to be honest.
I would take a mid to late 1st for him as others have suggested.

Maybe the islanders would be interested in both him and Gruby and include that 12th(?) overall.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
trading burakovsky for the crap in this thread right before he breaks out into a 70 point player would be the dumbest move since Forsberg for Erat so naturally half the caps fanbase is for it

Reactions: BobRouse

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
trading burakovsky for the crap in this thread right before he breaks out into a 70 point player would be the dumbest move since Forsberg for Erat so naturally half the caps fanbase is for it

Good thing he’s not going to break out into a 70 point player so you don’t have to worry about that.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

This is not at all a reasonable characterization of Bura. And as for "how much longer" -- as long as the contribution/potential is better than the alternatives. Which is a complex determination.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Johansson was much better than Burakovsky right out of the gate, he was a 45 point player and good all around, he could play all 3 positions.

I was one of Tom Wilson's biggest advocates, I made a lot of fun of the whole "No skill Willy" thing.

Burakovsky is a huge disappointment though. To see Vrana outplay him as a rookie worried me a lot.
They had similar production Vrana playing 20 more games. It's also funny how everyone acts like Vrana had a monster playoffs and Bura had 2 less points than him in half the games. They both had stretches of inconsistency. Last year Vrana was pouting in Hershey and everyone was questioning his future, now he's everyones darling and bura is trade fodder.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think what Burt needs is to stay healthy for a season and have a defined role on a team. With Washington his spot in the lineup was always under attack from other good players. He needs a team with a hole in the lineup that will let him play

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I think what Burt needs is to stay healthy for a season and have a defined role on a team. With Washington his spot in the lineup was always under attack from other good players. He needs a team with a hole in the lineup that will let him play
His issue is confidence. He beats himself up when he doesn't play well. Hence the sports psychologist.

He has confidence probably now from his game 7 performance. Now he's a winner. Let's see how next season unfolds before thinking of trading him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota doesn’t really have a hole in the top 9 and tbh competition should only be a good thing.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Myself and at least one other Wild fan are comfortable with a 2nd and a prospect like Olofsson, Belpedio or Sokolov.
I’m comfortable with it as well. My only question is: will he really get more of an opportunity in MN? My guess would be no. He’ll likely be a 3rd line left wing, and my guess is Boudreau wants to move JEE to that spot. Regardless. He’d Still be a 3rd liner with PP time here and there. But who knows, maybe he could be another zucker or Nino.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His issue is confidence. He beats himself up when he doesn't play well. Hence the sports psychologist.

He has confidence probably now from his game 7 performance. Now he's a winner. Let's see how next season unfolds before thinking of trading him.

The Caps played another 5 games after that game 7 highlight. I am fine with keeping him, but the Caps are going to want to play Gersich and that 3rd line wing slot is a good place to do it

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Caps played another 5 games after that game 7 highlight. I am fine with keeping him, but the Caps are going to want to play Gersich and that 3rd line wing slot is a good place to do it

Yes they did play 5 games and Bura was excellent in those 5. He had at least 4 assists that I can recall and his line was our best possession line.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Bura is a no-go for me. If we trade for him we’ll have a log jam down the wing in a few years. Left wings of:Zucker, Parise, Kaprizov, Greenway, Burakovsky. Right wings: granlund, nino, Coyle, Kunin.

Now there obviously will be some trades this summer and some of those players will be gone, but I don’t really see burakovsky as a fit, another left shot forward who is streaky?
Yeah we have enough of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad