Value of: Burakovsky to Minnesota

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Or maybe it was an offer like, 'I have no idea how you would value X player, so I'm just going to throw something out to get the conversation started and find out'.
That's how I read it and I'm a Caps fan. I think Bura's value is a mid to late 1st or equivalent. I'm hoping that we keep him as I previously stated, I feel he's going to break out next season.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
3rd round pick! Sure and the Caps will give the Wild a 2nd round pick for Granlund.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Big, fast, young, puck possession beasts oozing with potential who have very reasonable cap hits and are cost controlled just don’t get traded for ok value.

He’s part of the Caps core and I don’t see the Caps moving him short of a top 10 pick and I don’t see any team who has the stomach to do that.

Bmac is a pretty upfront guy and the way he speaks of Bura relays exactly how I feel about him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Tough to put his value into perspective versus MoJo. The MoJo trade is one of GMBM's blunders for sure as he was backed into a corner with the salary cap. GMBM's hand was forced by the Kuznetsov extension because Kuz threatened to bolt back to Russia if he wasn't given close to what he thought he was worth.
Isn't this a similar off-season though for the Caps when it comes to the Salary Cap? Couldn't Bura (or Orpik) potentially be cap casualties in the same manner MoJo was?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Isn't this a similar off-season though for the Caps when it comes to the Salary Cap? Couldn't Bura (or Orpik) potentially be cap casualties in the same manner MoJo was?

No not at all. Carlson isn’t Kuznetsov in terms of must keep.

Caps have 11 million + whatever the cap goes up by to give Wilson a raise and to keep Carlson.

Kempny, Smith Pelly and Beagle would be casualties worst case.

And this is prior to the impending Grubauer trade which would free up another million or so.

Reactions: DRW204

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
3rd round pick doesn't get a conversation started

3rd round pick! Sure and the Caps will give the Wild a 2nd round pick for Granlund.

Try focusing less on the third rounder, and focus more on the part where he asks Caps fans to give their opinion on what his value is and what it would take to acquire.

P.S, Granlund is twice as good as Burakovsky, so if my math is correct, he’s with at least pick 31.5.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No not at all. Carlson isn’t Kuznetsov in terms of must keep.

Caps have 11 million + whatever the cap goes up by to give Wilson a raise and to keep Carlson.

Kempny, Smith Pelly and Beagle would be casualties worst case.

And this is prior to the impending Grubauer trade which would free up another million or so.

Ok, this is something that I didn't know. I had kind of assumed that Washington would want to keep their top 4 together as much as possible, and that would include Kempny, so maybe the 3rd line would've been the area to take a hit. Sounds like you're directing it more towards the 4th line. Fair enough.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wouldn't really balk at trading #24 for a player like Burakovsky if we had a 2nd this year. As it is we'll have two 1st's and no 2nds from the 2016-2018 drafts, so it's probably a bad idea to give up another. And realistically Fenton's going to want a 1st in his first draft as GM.

Even so, it's kind of tempting. Burakovsky's the sort of player the Wild should be taking a bit of a risk on.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Granlund was producing at exactly the same pace at the same age. Additionally, I bumped it up a round. So it should be fair.

Granlund also had to be moved to winger full time before he truly became a 60-70 point player.

Burakovsky is already a winger.

Do you see the issue here?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ok, this is something that I didn't know. I had kind of assumed that Washington would want to keep their top 4 together as much as possible, and that would include Kempny, so maybe the 3rd line would've been the area to take a hit. Sounds like you're directing it more towards the 4th line. Fair enough.

Yeah this GM has the right idea. He doesn’t have the same loyalty that GMGM did who gave out overpriced contracts to replaceable 4th liners.

They’d like to keep Kempny if the price is right and will let Carlson walk if he goes over what they are comfortable with.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Granlund also had to be moved to winger full time before he truly became a 60-70 point player.

Burakovsky is already a winger.

Do you see the issue here?

Yes that their was a belief a third rounder would net Burakovsky. Get a clue.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Granlund was producing at exactly the same pace at the same age. Additionally, I bumped it up a round. So it should be fair.

Well, if Granlund's current value was based on what he did at 23 years old, and did not factor in, whatsoever, the last 3 years of his playing career, then you might have some semblance of a point. But you know that's not how it works.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes that their was a belief a third rounder would net Burakovsky. Get a clue.

Yikes. It must be a tough life feeling this personally attacked over a guy who admittedly wasn’t sure of the Caps situation making an effort to open a dialogue between two fanbases on a message board.

Your post also did nothing to address the fact that Granlund was scoring at an ever slightly greater pace while learning the C position, drawing some of the tougher defensive matchups, and learning the defensive side of the game at the same time. And only after a DRASTIC change in both position and usage did he increase his scoring.

The point of that being that Burakovsky is already a winger, so if you’re expecting him to suddenly make a Granlund-esque breakout, you may be disappointed.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yikes. It must be a tough life feeling this personally attacked over a guy who admittedly wasn’t sure of the Caps situation making an effort to open a dialogue between two fanbases on a message board.

Get off our lawn!

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

Your post also did nothing to address the fact that Granlund was scoring at an ever slightly greater pace while learning the C position, drawing some of the tougher defensive matchups, and learning the defensive side of the game at the same time. And only after a DRASTIC change in both position and usage did he increase his scoring.

The point of that being that Burakovsky is already a winger, so if you’re expecting him to suddenly make a Granlund-esque breakout, you may be disappointed.

Ever slightly greater Lolllllll Best terminology ever. Keep it up

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burakovsky is a young speedy possession machine with a rifle of a shot that the Caps have no intention of selling off especially on the cheap when his value is at a low. Injuries derailed him this year but fully expect a bounce back year.

56% career Corsi for and 7.5 relative. He’s a stud that will be a game breaker

3rd round pick is insulting

pretty sure, brah, that Burt gets traded this off season. Vrana took his gig and the Caps need a slot for Gersich. For a 3rd? Nah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad