Bumblebee to endangered species list?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ife-add-bumblebee-to-endangered-species-list/

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says the rusty patched bumblebee, also known as bombus affinis, is in danger of becoming extinct.

Much attention has been focused in California on the decline in honeybee colonies (Apis mellifera), but conservationists warn there are thousands of other bee species in North America under a far greater threat. According to a 2013 study published in Science, half of the Midwest’s native bee species have disappeared over the last 100 years.

According to the federal proposal, the rusty patched bumblebee once thrived in 28 states, the District of Columbia and Canada, but after a 90% decline, it is found in only 12 states and 1 Canadian province. The agency wants the bee listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act.

90% decline? Wow.

(And that's not even taking into consideration any Africanized bees taking over)

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
That's pretty bad. I was actually thinking to myself not all that long ago that I don't see bumblebees nearly as often as I used to. I don't know what species we have here, but I do think it's less common than when I was a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad