Built myself a computer but kept hard drive with Win10. Now theres no networks detectable(Ethernet).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
All new parts. Same HDD. Same windows. I avoided the common problems people have. But I can't get any networks detected. With the claim theres no cable plugged in. I updated all my drivers manual via usb/laptop. I tried multiple cables and ports. When I change my link speed from auto to 10mbps full duplex I get the port on the router to light up amber, no network still.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well, if you've tried a manufacturer driver and it doesn't work - have you tried uninstalling it and using a generic one that comes with windows?

Perhaps you have a defective motherboard.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you're using your old Windows, then it might still be thinking that your old network adapter is installed and set to primary. If it's still listed in Device Manager, uninstall it. If it's still listed in Network and Sharing Center (right click on the tray icon and choose that), disable it. Finally, run the Network troubleshooter (right click on the tray icon and choose "Troubleshoot problems") to fix any associations.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
It also seems like ive had some video problems. I use Wallpaper Engine and its been awful. Choppy and slow. Wondering if i just need fresh windows.

Well, if you've tried a manufacturer driver and it doesn't work - have you tried uninstalling it and using a generic one that comes with windows?

Perhaps you have a defective motherboard.
Yeah, I didn't try the manufacturers drivers until i realized the generic ones werent working.
If you're using your old Windows, then it might still be thinking that your old network adapter is installed and set to primary. If it's still listed in Device Manager, uninstall it. If it's still listed in Network and Sharing Center (right click on the tray icon and choose that), disable it. Finally, run the Network troubleshooter (right click on the tray icon and choose "Troubleshoot problems") to fix any associations.
I first disabled the old adapter and then eventually uninstalled it. I also disabled my vmware adapters.

Troubleshooting was useless.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you have the option to do a Reset and keep your files and settings, you should probably do that. You replaced all of your hardware, so you're much better off starting clean, without any garbage (old drivers, old registry settings, etc.) inherited. It's never been a good idea to re-use a Windows installation when you've replaced many of the components, but particularly the motherboard. A new motherboard should always mean a fresh installation, IMO. As I suggested, though, you could do a Reset and keep your personal files and settings, since that's just a fresh installation with a few things of yours (especially personal folders... Documents, Music, etc.) migrated over.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
@Benjamin Pretty sure having VMware installed during the upgrade is the issue. I ran across this before. Maybe I'll do some research. I forget what the fix is. I think it was either uninstall VMware of revert upgrade remove VMware and upgrade.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I ran a live linux off my usb. Network and internet worked perfectly without work. I believe the problem is with windows.

Currently running chkdsk... gonna take awhile.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I ran a live linux off my usb. Network and internet worked perfectly without work. I believe the problem is with windows.

Currently running chkdsk... gonna take awhile.

Have you tried uninstalling VMware? I am almost positive this is what happened to me when I upgraded 7 to 8, but that was quite some time ago, so I can't be 100% sure.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well i made the mistake of cancelling the chkdsk. RIP windows.

Looks like the motherboard is the problem anyways. Problems recognizing drives. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Splash screen hangs for 10 seconds. Windows froze 3 times on 2 fresh installs. All of which couldn't get a network. First had the drivers all fail to install and wouldn't use generic. Second didn't even see a network adapter.

Im returning the motherboard. Never getting Gigabyte again.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Let us know if the new motherboard works well. Tbh I've had nothing but success with Gigabyte products. I would've gone Gigabyte this time had it not been for buying retail rather than online, needed my parts immediately. Personally, I would never do a brand new build and pop my old PC's HDD in it with OS already installed, I would reinstall Windows but that's just me. Whenever I've done so I've had issues. Might not be the fault of the motherboard but we'll see. Let us know how it goes with the new motherboard.

EDIT: Went all ADD and missed the part where you mentioned doing a fresh install. Definitely sounds like the board is f***ed.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Let us know if the new motherboard works well. Tbh I've had nothing but success with Gigabyte products. I would've gone Gigabyte this time had it not been for buying retail rather than online, needed my parts immediately. Personally, I would never do a brand new build and pop my old PC's HDD in it with OS already installed, I would reinstall Windows but that's just me. Whenever I've done so I've had issues. Might not be the fault of the motherboard but we'll see. Let us know how it goes with the new motherboard.

EDIT: Went all ADD and missed the part where you mentioned doing a fresh install. Definitely sounds like the board is ****ed.

I've had two "issues" with Gigabyte boards - one had a poorly secured chipset heatsink which could have caused significant heat issues, but an RMA and replacement took care of that. The other, I did a BIOS update through their Windows software, and it hung right at the end. It SEEMED okay, but had some weird behaviour with the boot drives. I redid the update, and it seems fine.

I just tend to have that kind of luck. I otherwise have liked Gigabyte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->