Speculation: Buffalo's #3OA + x for Dahlin

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Dahlin is a stud.

You pick him and start turning your franchise around.

Yup, you keep him and trade others. As other people in this thread have stated, looking at the year Crosby, McDavid and Matthews were drafted, you don't trade any of those 3 for the player taken 3rd OA plus..... you just take that elite level guy and build from there

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Playing the hypothetical game, let's say that the Flyers lost to the Rangers on Saturday, the Panthers jump us and we miss the playoffs with the #15 pick. Now, say we win the lottery and get the #1 pick. There is no way I trade Dahlin for the #2/3 plus whatever the other team is adding and the Flyers are one the very few teams that DON'T need Dahlin. If we had Dahlin in our pockets I'd look to trade the Blues pick (#14), Sanheim, every other pick we have this year plus our 1st next year to try and pry the #2/3 pick from whomever ends up with them. Even though we don't NEED Dahlin, we trade other prospects before we move him.

THAT'S HOW VALUABLE THAT PICK IS!!!

Eh, I would listen to offers if the Flyers won the lottery with the Blues' pick. Someone might go INSANE.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Eh, I would listen to offers if the Flyers won the lottery with the Blues' pick. Someone might go INSANE.

Actually, the Flyers could be a team that could legitimately make a play for the 1st overall if they wanted to.

Let's say Arizona wins the lottery, and is currently committed to signing OEL long-term. Do they turn down a package of...

Sanheim, Morin, Frost, Sandstrom, 1st rounder for Dahlin?

I honestly don't think so. Sanheim is a future 2-way D capable of scoring 45+ points and logging 25 minutes. Morin is a future 2nd pairing D that is big, physical and could munch minutes. Frost is leading the OHL in scoring as a forward prospect. Sandstrom is a top-end goalie prospect. In addition, the Yotes receive a 1st round pick in a deep dreaft.

From the Yotes perspective, if they add Sanheim, Morin, Frost, Sandstrom and a 1st rounder to a young core that already features Keller, Domi, Chychrun, Dvorak, Strome, Perlini, etc., they are in great shape.

Likewise, just think if the Flyers have a future Big 3 of Dahlin, Provorov, Gostisbehere. Damn.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
If the Canucks win the lottery we are picking Dahlin.

Just for the fun of it:

1st OA
for
3rd OA, Ristolainen, Nylander

member 157595

Whoever wins the draft lottery this year will not trade the pick under any realistic or semi-realistic circumstances. Defense prospects like this come around very, very rarely.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Ristolainen and Eichel for the 1st overall. Buf gets to keep their 2nd/3rd
Who refuses?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Whoever wins the draft lottery this year will not trade the pick under any realistic or semi-realistic circumstances. Defense prospects like this come around very, very rarely.

There is literally no way Dahlin ends up a Cane if we win the lottery.

1.) They trade the pick.
2.) They take Dahlin, then trade him.
3.) They pass him over and take Svech.

The Canes are looking to compete now and have their D set. He adds less value for us than simply skipping over him to take a needed scoring F. It doesn't matter if he's generational.

What we need is an {Eichel, Matthews, MacKinnon, Laine} quality F...in the year one isn't available at 1OA; trading Dahlin isn't just our best chance to get one, he's very probably the only asset/opportunity we have to do so.

member 157595

There is literally no way Dahlin ends up a Cane if we win the lottery.

1.) They trade the pick.
2.) They take Dahlin, then trade him.
3.) They pass him over and take Svech.

The Canes are looking to compete now and have their D set. He adds less value for us than simply skipping over him to take a needed scoring F. It doesn't matter if he's generational.

What we need is an {Eichel, Matthews, MacKinnon, Laine} quality F...in the year one isn't available at 1OA; trading Dahlin isn't just our best chance to get one, he's very probably the only asset/opportunity we have to do so.
You think? You know your team far better than I but I'm not sure anyone is going to give you the incredible haul it would warrant to make trading a guy like this worthwhile. I understand you're looking to compete now, I just don't think moving Dahlin makes sense because the caliber of players you'd rightfully be looking for in return are not available for draft picks.

member 157595

I keep Eichel and Risto without hesitation as a Sabers fan. If the other two turn out better, so be it. I'm not taking that gamble.
Nor should you take that gamble. Guys like Eichel don't get traded for maybes.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dahlin is the best Defensive prospect that has been seen in a long time, he is probably more valuable than Matthews and Eichel alone(as he is in the same atmosphere as skill but playing a position that’s harder to find with that sort of talent).

Eichel + 2nd would get him.

Not sure I agree with the rarity argument. Almost every elite #1C is a top-2 pick. Unless you get lucky and draft that high your best bet is trade or FA, both of which have their own significant downsides.

If you look at the elite #1D, the average draft rank is somewhere in the mid-1st, early 2nd. You can get one without having to win the lottery.

To put it another way, we see defenseman factories like Anaheim and Nahshville continue to pump out high-end D without picking high. I've never seen a team consistently pump out top-6 C's, especially without drafting top-5 regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad