Speculation: Buffalo's #3OA + x for Dahlin

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Whoever gets that 1st overall pick is going to want a kings ransom.

honestly, it would be 3rd overall plus eichel from buffalo for dahlin. Dahlin will not be that much of a better player than eichel if at all but if you trade that pick you HAVE to be able to point to Eichel and 3rd overall pick and say we clearly won the trade.

Buffalo of course should not do this but you cant trade dahlin for a slight win, it needs to be a huge win

varano

Jun 27, 2013
honestly, it would be 3rd overall plus eichel from buffalo for dahlin. Dahlin will not be that much of a better player than eichel if at all but if you trade that pick you HAVE to be able to point to Eichel and 3rd overall pick and say we clearly won the trade.

Buffalo of course should not do this but you cant trade dahlin for a slight win, it needs to be a huge win
No that just doesn't make any sense. Why would they trade a top tier player and a top 3 pick for a mystery box ???

I don't know what the sabres have as far as picks but I would imagine getting the 1st overall may require a top 5 pick in return and a top 10 pick on top

Theres zero chance you would get eichel out of that.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
What does it cost to trade up?

Ryan O'Reilly + 3rd?
Reinhart + 3rd?

I have no Idea... give me your thoughts

You are thinking too realistically. Trades aren't done like that for franchise players. First of all, while RoR is locked up, his salary is huge and will affect the value of the trade. Adding a third is useless to the receiving team as they are giving up an entire career of a franchise player for a half way to retirement player and a 3rd which has the likelyhood of not having a career at all.

Reinhart has about the same value (as RoR) only because he is good and can be a really good layer, but he isn't a franchise player and again, the 3rd is not of great value.

It would most likely be Reinhart + Risto + your 1st and a 2nd and maybe a B prospect -> This is most likely what it would take and even then you are probably going to get a no.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don’t see any lottery teams who couldnt use Dahlin

Carolina.

If the Canes win the lottery for 1OA, I think they definitely move the pick.

I'm not sure they're interested in a high pick back though, their glaring need is for one elite, young forward now.

Edit: Buffalo? You can keep #3OA or #4OA...Eichel straight-up gets you #1OA to take Dahlin.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No that just doesn't make any sense. Why would they trade a top tier player and a top 3 pick for a mystery box ???

I don't know what the sabres have as far as picks but I would imagine getting the 1st overall may require a top 5 pick in return and a top 10 pick on top

Theres zero chance you would get eichel out of that.

thats the point it would never happen. But if you had 1st ovrall and got a slight over payment for it and dahlin becomes what he is projected to be you have now made one of the worst trades in NHL history.

A #3 and #7 pick for example does net get you dahlin. You are looking at pure pick numbers. Dahlin is 1 overall AINEC he seems to be projecting to a generational dman. Of course buffalo wouldnt do it but the price would need to be that ridiculous to give up dahlin. Would you trade Matthews for pierre luc-dubois and Clayton Keller? (picks 3 and 7 in the 2016 draft) good players sure but ill take matthews quite easily over those 2

It also says very clearly in the last sentence of my post buffalo shouldnt do it, and they would not because its a stupid over payment.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The drop off from #1 to #3/4 is quite large this year. It would be like if you had Poolparty and you wanted to add to him to get Matthews.
It would likely cost more than it's worth, TBH.

Reactions: Scuderi4Vezina

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Carolina.

If the Canes win the lottery for 1OA, I think they definitely move the pick.

I'm not sure they're interested in a high pick back though, their glaring need is for one elite, young forward now.

Edit: Buffalo? You can keep #3OA or #4OA...Eichel straight-up gets you #1OA to take Dahlin.

I think that would be an interesting deal, actually. Buffalo gives up Eichel, but leave the deal with a Dahlin+Zadina and Mittelstadt takes over #1C.

Reactions: Chan790

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It would probably have to be futures/young talent+30A to get Dahlin, adding ROR isn't going to be very appealing to a high-lottery team.

3OA+Nylander+future 1st or solid prospect other than Mittelstadt.

Dahlin is a great prospect but the difference between him and Zadina/Svechnikov is probably not any more than Nylander+ future ~1st.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Neither package even starts the conversation.

Ristolainen + #3 OA + someone like Nylander.

That's what it would take.

Not that the pick would be traded but something like this is what it would take. Is it fair for both sides? Probably not but since I've never seen the pick of a supposed "generational" talent moved I doubt it's happening for fair market value.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Realistically whoever is picking Dahlin should be demanding a price that no team will ever pay.

Put it this way, I want Dahlin badly... I probably wouldn't pay Larkin + 5th for Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->