Proposal: Buffalo plays King maker (Colorado, Carolina, Florida)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So this is obviously a fan board so chances of any of this happening are slim and none, but for laughs here we go.

To Carolina: Montour
To Buffalo: Mrazek, Carolina 3rd

Justification - Carolina GM has stated he would like to add a RHD. Montour is an upcoming UFA that fits the bill for a 3rd pairing RHD. He can also play left side which offers some flexibility. With the emergence of Nedeljkovic, Mrazek isn't a huge need. As for the pick, I swayed back and forth between the 2nd and a 3rd, given Montour's and the teams struggles I think the 3rd is probably closer to value.

To Colorado: Staal @50% and Mrazek (with retention - not sure how much would be required).
To Buffalo: Colorado 1st, Francouz (maybe a prospect instead of Francouz??)

Justification - Staal is going to be traded, Colorado would like a #3C and a better backup - this addresses both those needs for the Avs. Buffalo get a late 1st and a serviceable goalie signed for next season (Francouz currently on LTIR). Not sure how this works cap wise, but there may need to be retention on Mrazek as well. This could change the asking price from Francouz to a prospect - maybe Kaut, Bowers or LOC.

To Florida: Hall (with retention - not sure how much makes sense but definitely retention)
To Buffalo: Driedger, Fla 2nd, Hinostroza

Justification - I read that Zito was interested in Hall last year and was circling around again with the deadline approaching. Hinostroza is there for some cap balance and to provide NHL players for the rest of the season. Driedger is a soon to be 27 year old goalie that has taken steps to show he could be a good starter. Buffalo gives Driedger that shot as a starter and a few weeks to see if there is a fit for next year. This trade only makes sense if Driedger is interested in signing an extension with Buffalo.

Not a fan of any of the teams involved. Just was reading trade rumors and listening to GM's talk about what they might be looking for and thought I might try my hand at getting roasted on a message board.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I dont think Hall would be a fit in Florida. They certainly wouldnt sign him longterm. They have Barkov extension coming up and I dont see them contending yet

Reactions: golffuul

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While the $10 mil+ in projected space is deceiving because of performance bonuses the team should look to avoid rolling into next season, Carolina doesn't need to make the cap work for a player in Montour's range.

Goalie depth is important this year. Carrying 3 goalies on the active roster is the most likely scenario, even if an upgrade (i.e. Kuemper) is acquired.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So this is obviously a fan board so chances of any of this happening are slim and none, but for laughs here we go.

To Carolina: Montour
To Buffalo: Mrazek, Carolina 3rd

Justification - Carolina GM has stated he would like to add a RHD. Montour is an upcoming UFA that fits the bill for a 3rd pairing RHD. He can also play left side which offers some flexibility. With the emergence of Nedeljkovic, Mrazek isn't a huge need. As for the pick, I swayed back and forth between the 2nd and a 3rd, given Montour's and the teams struggles I think the 3rd is probably closer to value.

To Colorado: Staal @50% and Mrazek (with retention - not sure how much would be required).
To Buffalo: Colorado 1st, Francouz (maybe a prospect instead of Francouz??)

Justification - Staal is going to be traded, Colorado would like a #3C and a better backup - this addresses both those needs for the Avs. Buffalo get a late 1st and a serviceable goalie signed for next season (Francouz currently on LTIR). Not sure how this works cap wise, but there may need to be retention on Mrazek as well. This could change the asking price from Francouz to a prospect - maybe Kaut, Bowers or LOC.

To Florida: Hall (with retention - not sure how much makes sense but definitely retention)
To Buffalo: Driedger, Fla 2nd, Hinostroza

Justification - I read that Zito was interested in Hall last year and was circling around again with the deadline approaching. Hinostroza is there for some cap balance and to provide NHL players for the rest of the season. Driedger is a soon to be 27 year old goalie that has taken steps to show he could be a good starter. Buffalo gives Driedger that shot as a starter and a few weeks to see if there is a fit for next year. This trade only makes sense if Driedger is interested in signing an extension with Buffalo.

Not a fan of any of the teams involved. Just was reading trade rumors and listening to GM's talk about what they might be looking for and thought I might try my hand at getting roasted on a message board.
Staal hasn’t played well enough to do this deal for the Avs unless we are dumping JTCs contract.

I’d look at this deal differently if it was Staal and the goalie for JTC and a 2021 1st. I’d probably have Buffalo give the Avs a 3rd to make it work value wise.

Staal has just been that bad in Buffalo. He may be washed.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Montour might clear waivers right now and Mrazek is the Canes #1 goalie. Nedeljkovic playing well for a dozen games doesn't change that. The Canes need every good goalie they can get.

Staal is worth a 4th round pick, maybe.

Hall is worth about a 2nd. I doubt FLA trades their 1B going into a Playoff run.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We want Hall but no need for retention...16M in space. We value Driedger more than Hall though...

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If you add up all the trades, here is the net:

:canes
Gains: Montour
Loses: Mrazek + 3rd

:avs
Gains: E Staal, Mrazek
Loses: 1st, Francouz

:panthers
Gains: Hall
Loses: Driedger + 2nd + Hinostroza

:sabres
Gains: 1st + Driedger + Francouz + 2nd + 3rd + Hinostroza
Loses: Montour + E Staal + Hall

Buffalo gets beyond absurd value for their 3 UFAs. AndreiThreeK is bang on with value. Carolina, Colorado, and Florida all lose hugely in this trade. You just can't get a 1st, 2 good goalies, a 2nd, and a 3rd for UFAs. Especially 3 UFAs who have had crappy years. Canes UFA Brock McGinn probably has more value than Hall or Staal if you ignore name value, simply because he plays hard and has had a comparable year scoring wise so far.

:HFB: = profit

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
There is no chance Staal and Montour return a 1st and 3rd.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There’s no way the Avs are trading a 1st for Staal’s corpse and Frank and Mrazek are similar outside of health at the moment but Frank is signed for another year at a cheap price.

Avs can float a mid-round pick for a vet goalie at the deadline.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
1) I wouldn't deal Mrazek for Montour straight up.
2) The COL deal isn't bad.... but it's not really good either and I think if COL is dealing their 1st there are better deals out there.
3) No thanks from FLA. Verhaeghe is working out just fine with Barkov and while Hall SHOULD be a better player, I don't think he's a better fit.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs robbed on this deal and can search for a Goalie elsewhere. Staal is not worth anything close to a 1st.

Gains: E Staal, Mrazek
Loses: 1st, Francouz

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Pretty, pretty bad for the Avs.

If they are willing to trade their 1st (which IMO they shouldn't. They are in a prime position to snag a talent they would never get their hands on otherwise in this weird season with little scouting that late in the 1st due to lack of exposure and COVID-19), they should get a significantly better return than that.

If Sakic is that desperate to make a dumb go for it move, the team he should call is most likely Arizona (although the health of their goalies is Avs level bad which makes things a bit difficult I guess), the Devils, Detroit or Nashville...

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That first isn't getting trade (especially WITH Frankie) for just Staal and Mrazek. There's better rentals out there then Staal. Someone like Pageau.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think we are seeing a quick decline in the need for a 3C. Jost isn't putting up points, but that line has been the 2nd best line since the Avs started getting healthy.

If Sakic was using the 1st he may as well add some and try and buy low on a true number 1b.

This is intentionally hyperbolic and reactionary, but the Flyers are tanking Hart's value nightly.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
That first isn't getting trade (especially WITH Frankie) for just Staal and Mrazek. There's better rentals out there then Staal. Someone like Pageau.

Not sure if you're saying Pageau is up for trade or if you want someone like Pageau at the deadline, but he wasn't a rental which is why his price was so high.

Also I don't think there is a "Pageau" level player available this year closest I can think are guys like Tierney, Glendening, Granlund and all of them pale in comparison to Pageau.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Not sure if you're saying Pageau is up for trade or if you want someone like Pageau at the deadline, but he wasn't a rental which is why his price was so high.

Also I don't think there is a "Pageau" level player available this year closest I can think are guys like Tierney, Glendening, Granlund and all of them pale in comparison to Pageau.

Definitely true. A lot of Avs fans wanted Sakic to pony up for Pageau/Coleman/a good 3G last year and what do you know nothing close to the same quality is available this year

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Yes someone like pageau.

Anywho we just saw the price on Staal. It's pretty much nothing compared to a first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad