Buffalo Leads Overall Merchandise Sales

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Not too much of a surprise since Buffalo was consistently leading the NHL.com's monthly jersey sales, but it's still impressive to knock off Detroit's 10+ year reign at the top. This is total merchandise sales and the link requires a subscription.

Sports Business Journal said:
NHL licensing chief Brian Jennings tells us that for the first time in more than a decade, Detroit will be displaced as the top seller in overall NHL licensed merchandise. Making the climb to the top spot will be the Buffalo Sabres, who are overcoming the challenges of playing in a small market with the help of a popular new logo and the most wins of any NHL club. The NHL fiscal year ends in June, but Jennings said he is confident the Sabres will finish on top in licensing sales. “There’s a national demand that started early with their new jersey and picked up as the team performed in the regular season,†he said.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleId=55105

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They have been considered an elite team, if not the elite team, the past two years. And they are considered to be the most offensively exposive team, or at least in that small handful up top. And their fans have become rabid about the team, as shown by the local broadcast ratings. No suprise at all here. They came to that top spot in sales legitimately and deserve :handclap: .

A Good Flying Bird*

Not too much of a surprise since Buffalo was consistently leading the NHL.com's monthly jersey sales, but it's still impressive to knock off Detroit's 10+ year reign at the top. This is total merchandise sales and the link requires a subscription.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleId=55105
Here's a formula for merchandize sales:
1: Get team real hot after sucking for years
2: Change jersey
3: Make money, hand over fist

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I can only imagine how many more jerseys they would have sold to non-Sabre fans with a better (read original) logo.

I loved the fan inspired designs.

hysm44

Mar 12, 2007
Long Island
The original Sabres logo blows away the new one. I just bought an old Sabres home jersey. I will never buy that slug, or toupee, or whatever the hell they call it.

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
The original Sabres logo blows away the new one. I just bought an old Sabres home jersey. I will never buy that slug, or toupee, or whatever the hell they call it.

That makes two of us. I guess more people than I thought are buying the new slugs jerseys, which IMHO suck. Those things are awful. :shakehead

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
From what I was told at around mid-season by my boss (I work for the Habs), the Sabres were first, Red Wings were second. The Rangers, I think, were 3rd, and Montreal/Toronto were 4th and 5th.

Things may have changed, but this is how they were mid-season, from what I was told.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
From what I was told at around mid-season by my boss (I work for the Habs), the Sabres were first, Red Wings were second. The Rangers, I think, were 3rd, and Montreal/Toronto were 4th and 5th.

Things may have changed, but this is how they were mid-season, from what I was told.

Rangers in 3rd ehh? I wonder how I could get a breakdown on the number of Rangers jerseys sold, and which names/numbers old best, and if people were buying the blueshirts or the whites, and authentics vs replicas.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
when their new jerseys were unveiled, i hated the logo but loved the colors. i have to say the slug has grown on me though. the 3rd jersey is still better, but i like the slug jerseys now.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Rangers in 3rd ehh? I wonder how I could get a breakdown on the number of Rangers jerseys sold, and which names/numbers old best, and if people were buying the blueshirts or the whites, and authentics vs replicas.

I'd assume blue replicas are the biggest sellers.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'd assume blue replicas are the biggest sellers.

Same here. Most people buy the blue and I'm sure most people would buy the replica because almost $300 for a jersey is too much.

I'd say the most popular as of now are:
Lundqvist
Shanahan
Jagr
Prucha
Ortmeyer

Sounds about right to me. Although I did see a Malik jersey at Game 6 :biglaugh:

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com

I agree i love the 1970 buffalo jersey, the current one stinks.i have a couple of the classic buffalo jerseys with the french connection number and names on the back and a tim horton, eddie shack and roger crozier jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad