Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yeah if the Jets trade up showed us anything it's that getting into the top 3 will cost a fortune. This is the exact scenario Beane shouldn't get sucked into. You want the 2nd overall pick the Giants are likely asking for both 1sts this year and our 1st next year. I love this QB class, but I can't justify giving that much up. My gut tells me the Giants take Barkley at 2 if he's there. Not the pick I'd make if I were them, but it could certainly benefit the Bills if one of the top 4 qb's slipped out of the top 5 picks in the 1st.

It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks just to move up THREE SPOTS.

The Bills want to move up 10 spots. Now that the Jets have set the market, the price is going to be astronomical. Probably all three first-rounders + more.

I want a franchise QB as much as any Bills fan, but that is just too much to pay.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
IF and it's a big IF you think there's a true franchise QB then almost no price is too high. Can't be wishful thinking. Giants will insist on this year's two first rounders and next year's. From my reading/watching there's no consensus that there is a surefire franchise QB in this year's class, perhaps it's the over scrutinizing these guys have been under, a year ago Darnold and Rosen were everybody's darlings.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks just to move up THREE SPOTS.

The Bills want to move up 10 spots. Now that the Jets have set the market, the price is going to be astronomical. Probably all three first-rounders + more.

I want a franchise QB as much as any Bills fan, but that is just too much to pay.
Yeah it could potentially cost even more. Based off the charts 2nd overall is worth 2600pts. 12th-1200pts 22nd-780pts. So that's 1980pts. Depending on how optimistic the Giants are that we'll suck next year our 1st on top of that may or may not be enough.

I'm curious what Cleveland and the Giants are going to do at 1 and 2. If the Giants take Barkley it's going to cause one of these top 4 QB's to fall. In an ideal world Allen goes 1st, Barkley goes 2nd, the Jets and Broncos likely take 2 of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. The 3rd of that group falls a bit to a more reasonable area for the Bills to get to. This hinges on the Giants not taking a QB and no one trading up to take that last remaining QB. Ultimate doomsday scenario- All these guys get drafted which pressures the Bills to reach for one of Jackson or Rudolph in the 1st. If that happens I'll be furious.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

:popcorn:

Yeah, I know... There's almost no chance of this. But still, the thought of Jets fans reading this and suffering from mini panic attacks makes me smile. I can still see the look on their faces when they drafted Kyle Brady way back when. C'mon Jets, do it again!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

:popcorn:

Yeah, I know... There's almost no chance of this. But still, the thought of Jets fans reading this and suffering from mini panic attacks makes me smile. I can still see the look on their faces when they drafted Kyle Brady way back when. C'mon Jets, do it again!

https://nypost.com/2018/02/24/saquo...s-fan-playing-with-odell-and-taking-up-chess/

Q: I’m Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, who holds the sixth pick. What would you tell me about what you could do for the Jets?
A: My answer would be the same, but I’ll probably be a little more shy ’cause I was a Jets fan growing up, a true, true Jets fan. There’s been some rough years, there’s been some good years, been really close a couple of years with the Mark Sanchez Era, two years in a row AFC Championship, falling short. That answer’s gonna be the same, whether it’s the New York Jets GM, Giants GM, Browns, Colts, Buccaneers and so on and so on.
Q: Why would playing on the New York stage appeal to you?
A: New York, New York. It’s known all through the world. I wasn’t raised there, but I was born there [Bronx]. It would kind of be like going home. It’s also not that far from my actual home [Coplay, Pa.].

I think his dad is a huge Jets fan with a Jets tattoo.

That might soften the blow a little bit.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
It would be interesting if the Jets' move to 3 was orchestrated with the Bills in mind.

Maybe they traded to 3 hoping it would force Buffalo to trade for 1 or 2 and increase the odds that Barkley falls to them?

It is strange that they would move to that spot with no guarantee that their QB will be there. Likewise, their depth chart under center validates the theory that it's not actually a QB they're after. :dunno:

I still think they did it for a QB and that they don't particularly care which QB, as long as they get one. But maybe it's not a slam dunk afterall.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm not moving the 2019 1st. The Bills need to get to 2 using our 2018 picks period. I'd do 12,22,53 and 56 for 2. More then enough, they are getting a 1st and 2 2nds to move down 10 spots and they will get a top 5 talent there due to 4-5 QBs going in the top 11.

God, why couldn't we have a QB. Even one that is just somewhat more of a prolific passer then Tyrod. Accumulating 5 top 65 picks is extremely hard, especially 2 top 22 picks. Imagine if McCarron was a dependable enough starter and we use these 5 picks to build a young fast cheap team. Iirc we were one of the more older teams and we are in poor cap shape (but gets better in 2019). If the Giants are asking the moon for #2 I don't blink. If they want 12,22, both 2nds and 2019 1st for 2 I say no thanks, see if I can trade up for Mayfield and if not then I'm adding 5 starting caliber draft picks this year and hope McCarron plays as good as he did in his limited time.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

Really fascinating situation atm. I currently lean towards trading for #4, which has risks, but would be a lot more economical if we get even a little bit lucky. No one really knows what everyone's QB order is. I would take Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold at 1, and so obviously at 4. They could all be gone, but all three teams will be tempted by Barkley, and any of them could have Allen rated higher. Of course it's even possible that Beane has Allen rated higher.

Who knows. It's possible that the top-4 picks are all QBs, and each team gets the top guy on their own board. Exciting year.

Thank god they recognize that they need to have a better plan than Mills entering the season. Hopefully they schedule some RG visits while they're at it.

You know as far as backup RTs go, Mills hasn't been horrid. Someone even traded me a pick for him in the offseason sim that I participated in. But yeah having him full time isn't ideal. With Glenn gone I suspect that they draft an OT pretty high, probably with whatever their next pick is right after QB.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well, that took some of the wind out of my trade up fantasy. I’m not going to be surprised if we stay at 12

Jets gave up ~2950 in value for 3rd overall which is worth 2200. That’s nearly 1st overall value.

2nd overall will cost the Bills more than that. I don’t think a trade up to 2 is going to happen.
What the Jets paid to move up to #3 will not impact the cost of moving up to #2. The cost of #3 was set by the number of teams bidding: Jets and Bills both actively went after #3.

The cost of #2 will be set by the # of teams bidding. BUF, maybe DEN, maybe ARI. Maybe. And the Giants would need to agree.

I also don't see the Jets trying to move to #1 or #2.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeah it could potentially cost even more. Based off the charts 2nd overall is worth 2600pts. 12th-1200pts 22nd-780pts. So that's 1980pts. Depending on how optimistic the Giants are that we'll suck next year our 1st on top of that may or may not be enough.

I'm curious what Cleveland and the Giants are going to do at 1 and 2. If the Giants take Barkley it's going to cause one of these top 4 QB's to fall. In an ideal world Allen goes 1st, Barkley goes 2nd, the Jets and Broncos likely take 2 of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. The 3rd of that group falls a bit to a more reasonable area for the Bills to get to. This hinges on the Giants not taking a QB and no one trading up to take that last remaining QB. Ultimate doomsday scenario- All these guys get drafted which pressures the Bills to reach for one of Jackson or Rudolph in the 1st. If that happens I'll be furious.

Totally agree with this. Don't even have a problem with them going for Jacson or Rudolph though if one of them is their guy - just don't overdraft them for the sake of position.

I don't see how the Bills getting into the top two realistically happens to be honest. It would be the kind of trade which more than likely is bad for both teams if it did with a lot of pressure on both GMs.

For the Bills to get into the top four all of the below has to happen IMO:

-Cle takes a QB at one
-One of the NY teams takes Barkley before Cle can at four
-Bills can offer Cle a better trade down package compared to Den - likely contingent on them making a deal (or multiple deals) with someone in the 7-10 range beforehand (see below)
-Of the 2 QBs taken - neither are the Bills' guy

I actually think a deal with Ind at six is unlikely since i get the feeling Ind were happy to drop here but no lower. They should be assured of Chubb.

I think the Bills have a good chance at moving up to 7-10...maybe in multiple deals. Getting ahead of Miami should be their first step - then see how far that takes you. This is risky tho as it is contingent on their guy dropping beyond Cle, both NY teams & even possibly Denver. Unless they like 3-4 of the top guys almost equally of course but i find that hard to believe.

Dream scenario - i will take most people's opinion that Allen is a bust - & the Bills target one of Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield - but you can use any name:

-Bills trade up to seven & this only costs them something like 12+one of the seconds

NYJ trades up with Cle to take their QB at one costing them yet more valuable assets- its Allen & he does bust

NYG - worried that Cle will draft him otherwise - take Barkley

Cle - take their QB at three & another player they really like at four (Fitzpatrick/Chubb??) & won't trade it to anyone else because they want to stay in front of Ind

Den - take their QB at five - three down but the Bills guy is still there

Ind - get someone they really want at six & won't trade any lower

Buf - get their man at seven

It won't go down like this but honestly i see a big move into the top 2 just as unlikely.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
What the Jets paid to move up to #3 will not impact the cost of moving up to #2. The cost of #3 was set by the number of teams bidding: Jets and Bills both actively went after #3.

The cost of #2 will be set by the # of teams bidding. BUF, maybe DEN, maybe ARI. Maybe. And the Giants would need to agree.

I also don't see the Jets trying to move to #1 or #2.

I agree that the Jets trading for 3 early may have the benefit of them not joining a future bidding war, but I wouldn’t rule it out. They’ve shown their hand early and made it clear they want a franchise QB. I won’t rule out them trading up again. The Bills and Jets may both have the same guy ranked 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad