Proposal: BUF + VGK: Kane for Neal as Main Pieces

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Kane is younger and will probably cost a little less, he's dynamic, we all know the other stuff. Neal is on fire but older and is probably as high as he's going to be value and play wise this season and maybe next before he starts to dip. What do you think of this swap and what side if any would you add pieces to.

I think the deal is a good hockey trade for both, Kane loves Las Vegas and it would make more sense for VGK to have him if they liked him because he's younger and can be around a while.

As a buffalo fan I see the sabres wanting to do this because Kane is probably still on the owners list, and despite being pretty good, he's still just fires the puck randomly like crazy and that can get annoying. I'm not a huge kane fan but he's impressed any game I've seen him play live.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Vegas can just sign Kane after the season. If they retain Neal it will net them a first++

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't know if Kane would be what Vegas is looking for if they move Neal. I think they either keep Neal or get picks and prospects at the deadline.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kane seems to have toned down his act as of late but don't know if going to Vegas would be such a good idea for him.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think Kane is a candidate for Vegas.

There was a lot of talk about Kane and Vegas during the expansion draft since a lot of people thought there was a chance he'd be available and people wondered how the Kane in Vegas dynamic would work, but that didn't come to pass.

I don't know that he brings enough to the table to take potential draft picks for Neal off the table.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'd be looking for futures too if we're trading Kane. Trading a pending UFA for another pending UFA makes absolutely no sense.

And even if we continue this run for the rest of the season and push for the playoffs, it still appears as though McPhee isn't going to deviate from his plan and will still be trading assets rather than bringing in rentals. If Buffalo is out of it and doesn't want to resign Kane, then he'll get traded to a contender at the deadline, and Neal will too. BUF/VGK will enjoy whatever picks/prospects they get in return - but if Kane wants to go to Vegas and Neal is interested in Buffalo, they can both sign where they want on July 1.

PS. Who is the musician in your profile photo? She looks very familiar.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
And even if we continue this run for the rest of the season and push for the playoffs, it still appears as though McPhee isn't going to deviate from his plan and will still be trading assets rather than bringing in rentals. If Buffalo is out of it and doesn't want to resign Kane, then he'll get traded to a contender at the deadline, and Neal will too. BUF/VGK will enjoy whatever picks/prospects they get in return - but if Kane wants to go to Vegas and Neal is interested in Buffalo, they can both sign where they want on July 1.

PS. Who is the musician in your profile photo? She looks very familiar.

Yeah. You guys certainly aren't in any position to trade futures so there's no fit here.

It's Molly Rankin from Alvvays

Reactions: Sir Goose

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
This Is dumb.

Because of age Kane has more value. Vegas would be looking for futures if they triade Neal.
I agree with you but during the off season the owners were pissed at Kane so even if he's "worth more" he might not be if we could get a good player. I think you're right that Neal could be a good trade for futures but in my proposed scenario, Kane is the futures. not everyone is going to agree with that, depends how badly the sabres would want to unload him.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Vegas is definitely better off just taking the first and whatever else comes back for Neal at the deadline. They can't gamble losing that for a half season of a pending ufa.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kane is better then Neal and one of the few legit power forwards in this league. He's put up 33 goals over the last 65 games going back to last year.

In what world is Neal worth more then a 26 year old power forward with 33 goals in his last 65 games, a 40+ goal pace? Not the real one that's for damn sure only in Hfboards land where he's still vilified for track suit and money phone incidents .

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They're both on expiring contracts and are fairly similar players. I don't understand how this trade accomplishes anything.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Kane is better then Neal and one of the few legit power forwards in this league. He's put up 33 goals over the last 65 games going back to last year.

In what world is Neal worth more then a 26 year old power forward with 33 goals in his last 65 games, a 40+ goal pace? Not the real one that's for damn sure only in Hfboards land where he's still vilified for track suit and money phone incidents .

Well 65 games is a weird threshold, anybody can bend stats to suit their needs. Fact is Kane hasn't put up 50 points in 6 years and has only hit 25+goals once since then. Neal has outscored Kane between '11-12 and '15-16 and was only three points off his totals last year.

While Kane has scored 33 goals the last 65 games going through two seasons, he's scored 17, 19, 10, 20, 28 since hitting 30 in '11-12. Neal's scored 21, 27, 23, 31 and 23, since scoring 40. He's a better scorer than Kane and you'd be crazy to think that they don't have similar value.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Neither the ex-military officer billionaire owner Bill Foley, nor the GM or coach who follows his mandate, want a guy who does this:

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

End of thread. Like it or not.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
both teams could probably get a 1st if they trade them at the deadline, no point in trading them for eachother

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Well 65 games is a weird threshold, anybody can bend stats to suit their needs. Fact is Kane hasn't put up 50 points in 6 years and has only hit 25+goals once since then. Neal has outscored Kane between '11-12 and '15-16 and was only three points off his totals last year.

While Kane has scored 33 goals the last 65 games going through two seasons, he's scored 17, 19, 10, 20, 28 since hitting 30 in '11-12. Neal's scored 21, 27, 23, 31 and 23, since scoring 40. He's a better scorer than Kane and you'd be crazy to think that they don't have similar value.

Actually it's not a weird threshold. Kane broke his ribs in game 1 of last season. He came back far far too early and didn't score until game 12. Which makes his 28 goals in 70 games last year incredible. That's why I made the time line from when he scored his first goal last season. Regardless it doesn't matter, Kane as a Sabre averages over 30g/82gp. He's a premier goal scorer and one of the highest goal scoring left wingers in the entire NHL.

So fine count the 12 games, that's still 33 goals in 77 games and far better then Neal has ever done outside of the one fluke season he had with Pittsburgh.

Kane is better and worth more end of story not close at all. And I love that people hate on the money phone how about people loosen up and stop crying about players ruining the "purity" of this garbage league.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Neither the ex-military officer billionaire owner Bill Foley, nor the GM or coach who follows his mandate, want a guy who does this:

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

End of thread. Like it or not.
He held money up to his face, oh the f***ing horror. Won't somebody think of the children.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Buffalo would rather trade Kane for futures.
Vegas would rather trade Neal for futures.

Makes no sense for either team to swap pending UFAs.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Actually it's not a weird threshold. Kane broke his ribs in game 1 of last season. He came back far far too early and didn't score until game 12. Which makes his 28 goals in 70 games last year incredible. That's why I made the time line from when he scored his first goal last season. Regardless it doesn't matter, Kane as a Sabre averages over 30g/82gp. He's a premier goal scorer and one of the highest goal scoring left wingers in the entire NHL.

So fine count the 12 games, that's still 33 goals in 77 games and far better then Neal has ever done outside of the one fluke season he had with Pittsburgh.

Kane is better and worth more end of story not close at all. And I love that people hate on the money phone how about people loosen up and stop crying about players ruining the "purity" of this garbage league.

Kane broke his ribs in game one, and Neal was playing with a bum wrist due to being slashed badly vs. WPG and again vs CAL I think. It's just part of the game. They both played the same amount of games last year.

Kane's 33 goals in 77 games split between two seasons is far more impressive than what Neal's done? Neal scored 31 in an actual season the year before last. It's not absurd to think they are about equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad