OT: Bucs, Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where's ViniktoWinit? Your Thoughts on Cutler to the Dolphins? Getting that Giradi to Tampa vibe from the fans. But still will be optimistic, at least we are not the Jets.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Where's ViniktoWinit? Your Thoughts on Cutler to the Dolphins? Getting that Giradi to Tampa vibe from the fans. But still will be optimistic, at least we are not the Jets.

Could be worse, could be Case Keenum.

My favorite Bucs quote today:

Everyone hated Josh Freeman but everyone loves Jameis Winston putting up the same ****ing stats, if not with more interceptions and stupid plays.

8-8 football, here we come! Hopefully. Likely not. We'll go 7-9, blame some injuries, talk about how Koetter is such a great coach (he isn't), how are defense is so good (it isn't), and how Jameis *might* be elite (he isn't).

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Everyone hated Josh Freeman but everyone loves Jameis Winston putting up the same ****ing stats, if not with more interceptions and stupid plays.

8-8 football, here we come! Hopefully. Likely not. We'll go 7-9, blame some injuries, talk about how Koetter is such a great coach (he isn't), how are defense is so good (it isn't), and how Jameis *might* be elite (he isn't).

:shakehead

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

While I agree with 7-9 (I just have a bad feeling about this year in general) I think the rest of the assessment it a little bit over the top. The only thing stopping Winston from being one of the elites in the game is because he has Mad Favre disease. It'll be 2nd and 5 at the Bucs 45 yard line and he'll have a man open 8 yards down field. But then he asks WWJD (what would Jaboo do?) and he'll make a low IQ decision like seeing a guy in double coverage 39 yards down field and will over throw him by 5 yards. Winston will eventually figure things out but the problem with him is that he doesn't take the easy play.

As for Koetter I think you gotta give the guy a chance. 9-7 last year and Hard Knocks has proven that he's a rabid dog who wants nothing more than to see you screw up and find something you did wrong so he chew you out for it. Get enough lashes and you don't make the mistake again. Just about every great coach in history was/is like that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
While I agree with 7-9 (I just have a bad feeling about this year in general) I think the rest of the assessment it a little bit over the top. The only thing stopping Winston from being one of the elites in the game is because he has Mad Favre disease. It'll be 2nd and 5 at the Bucs 45 yard line and he'll have a man open 8 yards down field. But then he asks WWJD (what would Jaboo do?) and he'll make a low IQ decision like seeing a guy in double coverage 39 yards down field and will over throw him by 5 yards. Winston will eventually figure things out but the problem with him is that he doesn't take the easy play.

As for Koetter I think you gotta give the guy a chance. 9-7 last year and Hard Knocks has proven that he's a rabid dog who wants nothing more than to see you screw up and find something you did wrong so he chew you out for it. Get enough lashes and you don't make the mistake again. Just about every great coach in history was/is like that.

Two years is a tiny sample, its just funny to see such similarity. I have no doubts Jameis will have a longer, more fruitful career, though I don't think he'll ever be "elite" (oh god I actually typed that).

Koetter has been around more than a year, though in different capacities obviously. Time will tell, but i've done this dance for a few decades and i'm putting them firmly at .500 and not getting invested. Thats what hockey is for.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Two years is a tiny sample, its just funny to see such similarity. I have no doubts Jameis will have a longer, more fruitful career, though I don't think he'll ever be "elite" (oh god I actually typed that).

Koetter has been around more than a year, though in different capacities obviously. Time will tell, but i've done this dance for a few decades and i'm putting them firmly at .500 and not getting invested. Thats what hockey is for.

I'm invested because our talent on offense is insane. Evans is a top 5 (arguably top 3) WR in the NFL right now. DeSean Jackson hasn't lost a step and his speed is an element we have not had since Jon Gruden had Joey Galloway. OJ Howard is literally the same size and Gronkowski and can block as well as he catches. Chances are Koetter uses Howard more for blocking this year but he'll grow in a game breaking TE if he reaches his full potential over the years. Martin looks as good as ever but of course he had to goof up and get suspended. All I can say to that is "crap"

Unless Winston has a bad day we're going to put up a lot of points.

But if you had concerns about the defense I'd be right there with you. I'm not sold on it at all. Period. Mike Smith is a good DC make no mistake about it, but the inconsistency of the defensive line has been maddening and I'm not convinced the front four will be able to create consistent pressure. I'm hoping and praying Noah Spence breaks out. If he does then at least we stand a chance at consistent QB pressure. God knows Ryan and Brees will eat you alive with all day to throw and Newton is one the most slippery QB's in the NFL. David and Alexander as LB's is as good as it gets but once you get to the corners and safeties you better hope they get it. You have the likes of Justin Evans, Tandy, Conte, a rookie and two vets who weren't that spectacular to begin with. Then at corner is the still green Vernon Hargreaves and Brent Grimes -who I'm scared to death is going to see his clock strike midnight soon. We have such little depth at corner right now and if either guy goes down with an injury it's gonna be a cake walk to throw on us.

I think we are READY to make the next step as an organization and as a locker room but the chasm between offense and defense on the Bucs is scary. It would be like as if the Lightning was rolling with Hedman, Sergachev, Sustr, Girardi, Dotchin and Koekkoek on defense. Three vets (if you want to count Sustr) two of which who aren't any good and two young guys without a lot of time at the NHL level and still have to grow up and a young stud prospect. For every McCoy, Grimes, Alexander and David on this team you have a Conte, J Evans, Hargreaves and McClain. Needless we are paper thin on defense.

Without injuries we can win up to 10 or 11 games. But more than likely I think we're going suffer a few injuries like every team in the league and we finish 8-8.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
BTW Nick we could do an avatar bet! Since my Bucs and your Phins are gonna kick it off in the 1st game we could make it interesting. I could ask Gongshow (friggin Pats fan... let's boo him to hell!!) to make an avatar that the fan of the losing team uses here on HFBoards until week 2. I'm thinking something with the final score and the winning team's logo. Real simple. You don't have to though

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
my parents met and married in boston fam

Bahh humbug! The hell you say!

My entire mother's side of the family was born and raised in Oakland County Michigan (aka Pontiac) and her childhood home was literally bulldozed and turned into a parking lot for the Palace at Auburn Hills.

But am I a Wings fan or Lions fan?

;)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Kid is a frontrunner, glorychaser, whatever you wanna call it.

I have some faith in the Bucs this year. If they caught a break or were just a wee bit more consistent they would have made the playoffs last year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BTW Nick we could do an avatar bet! Since my Bucs and your Phins are gonna kick it off in the 1st game we could make it interesting. I could ask Gongshow (friggin Pats fan... let's boo him to hell!!) to make an avatar that the fan of the losing team uses here on HFBoards until week 2. I'm thinking something with the final score and the winning team's logo. Real simple. You don't have to though

I'm game. So if the Dolphins win you will have to keep a Dolphins avatar for the week, and if the Bucs win, I will keep a Bucs avatar for the week. We don't play the Pats till like the later part of the season, so at least my playoff hopes won't be crushed till then. They will likely still be in it before then, since their schedule is not too bad through the first 10 games, only for the evil New England Patriots to shatter any hopes of us making the playoffs. lol.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I have some faith in the Bucs this year. If they caught a break or were just a wee bit more consistent they would have made the playoffs last year.

I hate playing coulda shoulda woulda but I think the loss to Dallas hurt the most. Not that I'm chastising them but if we had better play at offensive tackle that night (particularly from Gosder Cherilus) we probably win that game.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Bahh humbug! The hell you say!

My entire mother's side of the family was born and raised in Oakland County Michigan (aka Pontiac) and her childhood home was literally bulldozed and turned into a parking lot for the Palace at Auburn Hills.

But am I a Wings fan or Lions fan?

;)

nah fam.

I just never really got into the bucs, and my mom was a pats fan.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So you just happen to be a fan of the Stanley Cup winner and the Super Bowl winner, for different extraneous reasons.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So you just happen to be a fan of the Stanley Cup winner and the Super Bowl winner, for different extraneous reasons.

my team hasn't won the cup since 2004, you should know...

and my basketball team hasn't made the playoffs since KG

lol

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
3910851_web1_copy_francois.jpg

Also LOL @ Gator fans

l3geZrl_d.jpg

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yo Nick. If the Dolphins game does end up getting moved to another place as a consequence of the hurricane then the avatar bet is null and void. If it's not in Miami as it's supposed to be then there's no bet to be made. You can't just take home-field from a team like that and expect things to be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->